20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 6:32 AM by kingfish

i screwed up... Installed new drivers on my r9290

brucer

Well i installed the newest drivers for my old r9-290..  Now when on youtube watching any video I get video glitches within the youtube flash player...I find this odd because over the 4 yrs I've owned this card it has ran fine..

I have to turn the power limit up to 35% and it magically goes away.. It now seems to run hotter than ever..

• Re: i screwed up... Installed new drivers on my r9290
          brucer

Driver Packaging Version

15.30.1025.1001-151204a-298676C

waltc

Kind of interesting...because I've never seen the power limit exceed 20% on any Catalyst or Crimson driver before.  The slider always maxes out at 20%.

Driver Packaging Version

16.15-160307a-300321E

for 16.3 Crimsons

brucer

amd crimson.JPG

edited this in:

Radeon Software Version - 15.12

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 977 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10

System Memory - 16 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz <----- this is incorrect, its oced at 4.4ghz.

Radeon Settings Version - 2015.1204.1216.22046

Driver Packaging Version - 15.30.1025.1001-151204a-298676C

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1533

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1162

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13416

OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.4.0

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.99

AMD Mantle API Version - 98309

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.2

kingfish

Your AMD graphics card has a Power Limit setting in Overdrive. The default setting is 0. That is a power saving (electricity)  setting that throttles your card when it begins to draw more power...like when your gaming. Enabling Overdrive and Raising the Power Limit to it's Highest + value (currently +50 or +20 depending on the card) Disables this throttling feature. It is not overclocking, it just allows the card to perform to its maximum capabilities.

Screenshot_2_7.png

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        brucer

yep.. and with it on zero i was getting graphical glitches in youtube, kind of like watching an old tv with bad reception...

I increased the power limit incrementally and the graphic anomalies went away..

Kingfish, the card was running hot at default settings, which has the fan speed turned down so low it is hardly effective,I checked my temp and it was at 95c.. I'm pretty sure my card has ever been that hot before, in the past usually around 75c was about the norm.  I increased the fan speed to like 80% to get the temps down, I dont like running things that hot...  My cpu sits at 50c under high load running aida64 for an hour...

The graphic anomalies in youtube went away when I increased the power limit, that is all I did at that time.. I didnt overclock anything, Too my understanding, as you verified, I just increased the power consumption of the card with increasing the power limit setting.

thanks.

brucer

Kingfish.. How would that affect a video playing in youtube? is it throttling the gpu so much that it doesnt want to run properly?

kingfish

I would imagine (just a WAG) that was caused by temperature. The default fan speed setting is too low in my opinion. I have mine (R9 290) set @ 85% and it never runs over 60% at full load. Another thing, my card is a reference card. As such, I have the 'Target Temperature'...does your card have this? If so, set the Target Temp @80c and the fan speed maximum @ 85%. With this setting, under the heaviest load, my temp stays at 79c and as I said, the fans never get over 60%.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              crimsonsun

This issue has been plaguing me for the last 3-4 months, driving me absolutely nuts as when ever I play a game that's asking for a solid system in order to perform I get black screens and driver fails. Every patch I hoped for the fix and I must have tried so many different alterations I was at the end of my tether. I read this thread partly though being stubborn as I'd just made some other minor set up changes and I'm sodding glad I did... You've cracked it, I can now play games on Ultra and high settings again! I'm not crashing and my systems stable..
                              So THANK YOU!

So who's stupid idea was it to have crimson reset the default factory placed settings for GPU power management? There's a ton of people that seem to be having this very problem all around the place, generally found in game specific forums and no one's suggested anything that's been of more than marginal success in fixing this. I've been told I need a new MD/PSU or I've got ram issues countless times, I spent a huge amount of time on Windows 10 forums because I changed over to Crimson and Win10 pretty close too one another. I have been raging so much because on Win7 with CCC I had fantastic performance but on Win 10 with Crimson its just been getting worse. Not only did your power throttling make sense and fit the symptoms I've been plagued with (its a custom build, I know this machine inside out and I was positive it wasn't a hardware issue), but the change of giving the gpu additional power has me running games on max settings with temps stable at 50-55 and my cpu at 40.

Thank You Kingfish...!! Someone should sticky a FAQ about this somewhere... Now I just need to figure out where my memory clock should be as a standard minimum as its set silly high in Crimson which is causing a much higher system temp and had me thinking for a long time my issue wasn't with the driver it was with overheating which plainly isn't the case.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                  kingfish

It's all about advertising. Every manufacturer whether GPU or CPU, advertises low power usage...and their product default settings are there to achieve those claims. I have a previous post > AMD graphics performance

If your interested, I did a comparison > Catalyst Power Limit settings

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    brucer

if running a r9-290 i believe the default is 1250mhz.

crimsonsun

I'm running a R9 285 which crimson has set to 1375 as standard, I've put MSI afterburn in control of the fans and clock speeds now. Is it only intel cpu's that park cores as standard? Honestly though my distribution though cores 2-8 is pretty even with obviously core one still throttling somewhat though I believe Windows 10 is supposed to allow for far better distribution between cores (direct x12 - I know does this for GPU's not sure about CPU's).

Its interesting that they've put these power saving settings in as to be more Market competitive when this throttling and down graded GPU performance is likely to cause more damage in the form of customers not being able to get solid or stable performance from the cards. As you say really who spends £150-300 on a GPU for power savings in terms of drain and electric, I can understand them trying to get a lower PSU drain and with laptops, tablets etc I can easily see having the option to switch off a large amount of your gpu rendering ability could be useful but on Desktop cards I just don't see the benefit for power savings unless running crossfire/SLI systems. I was considering a Crossfire build at some point but I can't get a second 285 now (new) at a price I'd be willing to pay for it since its out of production I can get a 390 for less money which is a shame but I've seen tons of troubleshooting threads about crossfire/SLI cards on modern games and many aren't implemented for them yet either so its possibly for the best.

kingfish

No...AMD CPUs as well as Intel Cpu core park.

I Need Better Core Distribution on My FX 6200

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              brucer

Yes it's interesting.. A company would rather risk selling crashing and black screening gpu's to the public, and think the public would accept it..  I would see the complete opposite...  Just like my situation, my first Fury was awful, couldnt hardly get to desktop without it crashing and had to rma it.. I have a Sapphire Nitro Fury which will be here today, if it doesnt work I'm done with AMD gpu's, period.  I've stated it before and I'll state it again, I'm not paying $500 to be a beta tester for AMD, and 7 months is plenty of time for these so called engineers to resolve the crashing issue which seem to plague the latest amd cards, and anyone that denies it is a liar, its a known issue, AMD knows it, their engineers know it and evidently cant resolve the issue..

I know how to install a graphics card and I've done it for over 20yrs on my own. If I cant clean the drivers off win10 with AMD's removal procedure, remove a gpu, install the new gpu and install new drivers and the card not function correctly, It's getting shipped right back the same day and I'm going to a gtx980 or 980ti and I'm done with AMD.  So for AMD's sake they better hope this one works.

In the past I used AMD primarily, but thats not the case anymore. I dont feel the products they are designing and manufacturing are very reliable at this point, who knows about the longevity of these new gpu's, that bothers me... Not to mention some wishy washy marketing they are throwing out to the publi.. I remember the Fury/Fury-x were suppose to blow current nvidia gpu's away, yet they dont, well maybe a stock clocked 980/980ti... If your lucky the new card will function but I've yet to see any benchmark where a fury-x beats a 980ti, especially an overclocked ti, which you can overclock the crap out of a 980 or 980ti and it will stomp a fury or fury-x.

I also dont believe the hype of the asyncronous compute, dx12 and hbm has proven nothing to me yet, I think back to how great dx10 was suppose to be and they had to tank it... I guess I'm one of those, prove it to me people, and its yet to be proven to me.. A tthis point in time, I've seen just the opposite from AMD, and its rather disappointing.

crimsonsun

I'm not sure about asyncronous computing but DX12 is something we should see coming in now though you may not notice it in terms of performance its more about what developers can do they couldn't previously because it all GPU multi-threading with a good distribution of the work load. HBM I think is more about the size of the cards in the first wave as they really haven't put anything out yet which shows off its true potential in terms of 16-32gb multicore cards that we simply couldn't run previously or get to fit in anything smaller than a server. Also first wave tech is always somewhat dodgy I never buy in for the first gen of a new tech for that reason, better to wait a little longer so they can iron out the bugs and really concentrate on the performance.

brucer

but the failure of the first wave will make no one want to buy the second wave, at least for me, I dont usually give a company a second chance, and I will not give them a third, if it takes tree times to get a gpu that will run, the company is a fluke and unreliable..

I mean really, who would purchase a gpu from a company that cant get existing gpus on this somewhat new platform working, not to mention messing up cards that have been out for years..  This new platform isnt new, its been around almost a year now and they have yet to get the same issues resolved that have plagued these gpus since their launch...