6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2016 12:17 PM by tsukasadt

How can I fix graphics fragmentation in games with the HD 5970 on Windows 10 Pro x64?

tsukasadt

System Build

OSWindows 10 Pro x64
      GPUAMD Radeon HD 5970
      GPU Control PanelCatalyst 2015.0804.21.41908 (Catalyst 15.7.1)
      GPU Driver15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187674C
      Display Devices2x SHARP LC-32SB28UT (https://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Archives/LC32SB28UT.aspx)
      MotherboardASUS P6X58D Premium (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58D_Premium/)
      CPUIntel BX80613I7980X (http://ark.intel.com/products/47932/Intel-Core-i7-980X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-12M-Cache-3_33-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)
      Power SupplyCORSAIR HX850 (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx-series-hx850-power-supply-850-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu)
      RAMCorsair HX3X12G1600C9 G (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hx3x12g1600c9)

Issue Description

As the title says, I receive what I can best describe as a fragmentation of graphics when I access games. Here's a screenshot of the issue as it occurs in Final Fantasy XIV:

ffxiv_01052016_161118.png

When I'd upgraded to Windows 10, I was too busy to be able to play a lot of games, but when I started to be able to play again, I started encountering this issue. As can be seen in the screenshot, the user interface is completely unaffected. This is mirrored in Star Wars: The Old Republic, StarCraft II, and just about any other game I try. I decided to try my luck with non-MMORPGs but found the issue persisted on those, also.

Here's a list of what I've tried:

1. Ensuring the drivers were up-to-date.
      2. Uninstalled drivers and Catalyst, restarted machine, confirmed generic drivers had auto-installed, and reinstalled drivers and Catalyst.
      3. Modified game settings for multiple games until I finally gave up on being able to fix it with the game settings.
      4. Attempted using Crimson Edition.
      5. Reinstalled games.
      6. Reseated GPU in the motherboard.
      7. Changed slot in motherboard.
      8. Reinstalled OS.
      9. Attempted overclock.
      10. Removed overclock modification.

Nothing had any affect on the issue in any games I tried. I was shocked to find it in the original Halo with and without compatibility mode!

I have absolutely no issue outside of "fullscale" games. Browser games, videos, graphic-heavy websites, etc. have no issue with displaying. For "fullscale" game, short of replacing my GPU, which I can't afford to do, I'm out of ideas on what else I can try to fix this.

• Re: How can I fix graphics fragmentation in games with the HD 5970 on Windows 10 Pro x64?
          xeleron

Run a 3dmark bench see if it holds or if does it show graphical corruption.Alternatively,you can run a GL benchmark,furmark.It will push your gpu quite hard,so noise/heat is expected.If it still fails try the gpu in another system.If it exhibits the same behaviour your gpu is most likely dying and replacement is your only option.

• Re: How can I fix graphics fragmentation in games with the HD 5970 on Windows 10 Pro x64?
              tsukasadt

I did as you suggested and ran 3DMark Basic Edition on my desktop using the following procedure:

1. Installed 3DMark Basic Edition
              2. Applied all updates to system
              3. Restarted machine
              4. Waited 5 minutes after desktop load for bootup to finish
              5. Closed out of all non-system background applications
              6. Waited 15 minutes for the system to settle
              7. Ran 3DMark benchmark

Here're the results: ATI Radeon HD 5970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-980X Processor,ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D PREMIUM

Through the entirety of the Ice Storm test, there wasn't a single glitch I could find. It seemed to run through flawlessly. However, the moment it started Cloud Gate everything went sideways. The graphics were horribly screwed up, including fragmentation as I've come to expect, but about 20 seconds into the first Cloud Gate test, the display driver crashed, taking the test with it. 3DMark continued, trying to complete the second part of Cloud Gate, but the display crashed ~5 seconds into it and the entire benchmark stopped there.

If I understand the 3DMark rating system well enough, that means my system passed for a tablet or smartphone, but failed miserably for a basic PC (when it had cost 6k to build brand new).

I'll be able to test the card in another system this weekend, but what's your take on the benchmark results? I'm a web programmer, this stuff is a little out of my depth, but it seems to be conflicting to go from such a perfect test to such a horrible failure. :S

xeleron

As long as you got graphical artifacts and driver crash the score is useless ( the score was not relevant either way).Try a GL benchmark (furmark) and see if it still holds.Cheers.

tsukasadt

I used the same procedure for installing and running the GFXBench GL software, but my results were...different. Basically, on every other test I saw no issue, but then on the ones I did have a problem, it displayed like a broken pattern. The pattern varied, but it was always like this screenshot:

GL Benchmark.jpg

Further, the benchmark consistently got stuck at the 1080p Car Chase Offscreen loading screen. I ran the test 3-times, letting it sit for 30-45 minutes on that loading screen before I forced a reboot. I couldn't even close the benchmark, it hid everything so I couldn't know what I was actually doing.

During the third attempt is when I took the above screenshot.

I couldn't find an option to export the results, so here's a screen capture of the third attempt results:

GL-Benchmark-2.jpg

Edit:

So, after running it a few more times, I finally got to fully read the notes on the loading screens (they would only be up for ~2-3 seconds) and found out the pattern thing was expected. So, for everything up to the 1080p Car Chase Offscreen, I had no issue, then that test just wouldn't load.

I took off all the tests that ran prior to the Car Chase tests and restarted and the remaining tests finished without issue, including the one that was originally not loading. Basically, all the tests were able to run without any visual issue. :S

amdmatt

Based on the information you have provided and the screenshot, it looks like your GPU could be faulty. Can you try it in another system?

tsukasadt

Alright, so I got an oddball, here. I tested the GPU in 2 other systems, but neither would boot with the GPU in. It wasn't that there wasn't a display, the motherboard just would boot. Lights were all on, could hear the HDD spin up it got power, but neither system would even get to the BIOS. We even tried connecting to the onboard display port while the card was installed and got nothing.

Remove the card, and both booted up just fine with the onboard display ports.

I don't know how a GPU could keep a system from booting! :S