35 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 1:13 AM by amdmatt

HP Permanent Black Screen freeze with Driver 16.3 Hotfix when installing Display Driver

cking123

Hello,

So, here are the specs of this PC:

AMD Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8330

Laptop: HP Pavilion TS 14 Notebook PC

Manufacturer: HP

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Driver version installed: Everything of 16.3 except VulkanRT and Display Driver

CPU/APU: AMDA4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

The Issue:

When installing the AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.3 Hotfix drivers, every time it tries to install the Display Drivers, it causes a black screen that lasts until I force-shut it down. When I first tried to install it, it caused a black screen for a few minutes, and I checked and I noticed that the hard disk indicator was still running, and after waiting for around an hour, I pressed and held on the power button to force shutdown the computer. After starting it up again, it went through the boot process, but it remained stuck after it was over with the boot screen, but the circles just freeze.

What I tried to fix this:

So, I force shutdown the computer again, and started up with computer, and just as the boot process began, I force shut down it again and did that 2 more times, so that it would allow me to go to Advanced Startup, and I booted into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, I tried installing the drivers again, but the installer could not recognize the system. So, I opened Device Manager, and rolled back the driver install. Then, I restarted the computer and the computer booted through.

Next, I used msconfig to do a Clean Boot, and disabled my AV, and tried the installation again, but it was stuck with a black screen with the computer not responding to anything again. So, after waiting for 15 minutes, I force shut down the computer again, and went into Safe Mode using the same method as before, but this time, I went into Programs and Features and uninstalled AMD Install Manager, and chose to uninstall everything. When it was uninstalling Display Driver, it again caused the black screen that remained, so I force shut down the computer, and used the same method of booting into Safe Mode. and used another computer to download Display Driver Uninstaller (version 15.7.5.1) to uninstall the drivers, and it automatically restarted the machine. Afterwards, I reinstalled 16.2, but noticed that it did not install Video Acceleration thing, so I went into C:\AMD and opened one of the Catalyst Beta, and installing the AMD Video Transcoding thing. So, I thought that the issue would be Vulkan, so I decided to install 16.3 again, but I unchecked VulkanRT, but the same issue happened. So, I ruled out Vulkan as the issue, and booted into Safe Mode, and rollback the drivers. This time, I tried installing 16.3 again, but with VulkanRT and Display Driver unchecked, and it installed and asked me to restart. After restarting, I did some research and figured out that there are more people with HP computers having the same issue:

1. http://d2.howsolveproblem.com/i/5219/
      2. http://d1.howsolveproblem.com/i/257272/

One of them did it on a clean install of Windows, so I can rule out Windows as the issue, and is likely a BIOS issue.

So, I did some more research about the drivers, and I think I have figured it out: It is a BIOS (EUFI) issue with AMD XConnect. So, I went into BIOS settings, and the only thing that I think should be changed was Virtualization was off, so I turned it on, which enabled Hardware Virtualization and tried installing the 16.3 drivers again, but again, it failed. So I booted into Safe Mode and rolled back drivers again

Any idea on how to fix this?

• Re: HP Permanent Black Screen freeze with Driver 16.3 Hotfix when installing Display Driver
          kingfish

You should be using these legacy drivers > Legacy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: HP Permanent Black Screen freeze with Driver 16.3 Hotfix when installing Display Driver
              cking123

Thanks for the reply! @kingfish

Turns out my AMD Radeon HD 8330 GPU is still supported.

These are the Radeon HD products that are not supported:

AMD Radeon™ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (D/G variants) Series Graphics

Also, my GPU is based on the GCN architecture and it is part of the Kabini APU, which is GCN 1.1.

-CKing

amdmatt

What was the last driver you were able to install correctly?

amdmatt

Please download DDU and use it to clean your system of AMD drivers.

Install Crimson 16.2, restart.

Install Crimson 16.3 over the top of 16.2, the installer should prompt you which components need updating. Run through the installer to see if that resolves the black screen.

cking123

Hello

I have tried to do this before where I used DDU and uninstalled the drivers in Safe Mode, booted into the normal mode, and installed 16.2 and after restarting it, I tried to install 16.3 but the black screen happened. That's when I started to suspect that it may be related to Vulkan (I was not aware of the XConnect feature), so I went into DDU again, and uninstalled the drivers in Safe Mode, installed 16.2 again, and installed Video Transcoding thing in one of the Catalyst Beta, and tried installing 16.3 again with Vulkan RT unchecked, but the same black screen happened.

In the black screen, the hard disk is still working, but my computer just...freezes and sometimes I do see a mouse, but that's it. I can't move the mouse or do anything. When I first got the black screen, I tried to shut down the computer using the power button, but it didn't work at all. Also tried pressing Windows + R, and typing shutdown /r and pressing Enter and nothing happened.

amdmatt

I'm not sure it has anything to do with XConnect. I would keep using 16.2 for now and i will pass your feedback on regarding 16.3.

cking123

Alright. I will wait for the next driver, and see if it is fixed in it.

cking123

Hello

Today I tried installing 16.3.1 and there still is the black screen issue

-CKing

amdmatt

Try turning the display on or off and or unplugging-replugging the monitor connection. Try a custom install without installing Vulkan and see if that fixes the black screen.

cking123

It did not work

I disabled VulkanRT thing, and then tried the installation again, but the black screen happened. I can't turn the laptop monitor off, or turn the display off. So, I went into Safe Mode, and rolled back the display driver

Then, I rebooted the machine, and I went into Device Manager, and clicked Update Driver, and I browsed to C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.3.1-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-March16\Packages\Drivers\Display and it installed the drivers again, but the black screen happened.

So, I rebooted into Safe Mode, and tried it again, but this time, Windows said that the drivers are up to date, which I think is because the drivers were installed. Then, I tried to manually choose the driver thing, and it gave me bunch of drivers, with one of them being MBDD (Microsoft Basic Display Driver). I chose the highest version driver, which was 16.15.2111 and I restarted the computer, but again, the computer was frozen after the black screen. I booted into Safe Mode again, and now I couldn't roll back. So, I used DDU to uninstall the drivers, and installed Video Transcoding thing from Catalyst Beta 15.6 Drivers, and then installed 16.2.1 Radeon Drivers

Another thing I noticed is that the* mouse sometimes appears* in the black screen, but the mouse if frozen. Sometimes, the loading mouse indicator (the blue spinning circle) also appears, but without the spinning because it is frozen

I think it is more of a HP issue when 16.3 and 16.3.1 are released because there are more people specifically with HP computers having this issue

For example, this person also had this issue:

-CKing

cking123

After Norton was uninstalled, and I started using Windows Defender to replace it, I tried 16.3.1 installer again, and again, it led to black screen.

cking123

Today I tried installing 16.3.2 drivers, but it too failed with the permanent black screen with the mouse appearing, but I can't move it

Will there be a solution to this?

desperado_gmbh

I have the same problem with HP TouchSmart 10 (A4-1200): black screen during installation of 16.3 or newer.

And all the latest drivers (I've tested 15.12 and 16.2.1) cause System process to have constant 20-30% CPU utilization, at least on Windows 10 1511.

cking123

I installed the AMD chipset drivers, and tried installing 16.3.2 again, but again, there was a black screen with the mouse showing, but I was able to move the mouse for a few seconds before everything froze (The screen was still black)

Any ideas on fixing it? I would like to have Vulkan drivers, and they came with 16.3 so I can't get those drivers

buster

I am having the EXACT same issues with a Acer Aspire V5-122p and AMD A6-1450. The 16.2.1 package works but anything after that is a black screen where I have to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver using DDU.

cking123

I tried installing 16.4.1 and it failed ! I then enabled boot log and copied the end portions where things couldn't load anymore

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\BasicDisplay.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\BasicRender.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED tdx.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED NetBT.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED AFD.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED vwififlt.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED Psched.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED gwdrv.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED NetBIOS.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED rdbss.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED ZAM_Guard.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED ZAM.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED nsiproxy.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED npsvctrig.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED mssmbios.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED MpKsl2f8e0474.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED GpuEnergyDrv.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED ESProtectionDriver.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED Dfsc.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED dam.SYS

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED CLVirtualDrive.SYS

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ahcache.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\compositebus.inf_amd64_912dfdedc3d2f520\CompositeBus.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @kdnic.inf,%kdnic.devicedesc%;Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\umbus.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%amdppm.devicedesc%;AMD Processor

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem94.inf,%amd9832.1%;AMD Radeon HD 8330

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\HDAudBus.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem53.inf,%generic_18ec.devicedesc%;Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem93.inf,%generic.devicedesc%;Ralink Bluetooth PCIe Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem15.inf,%rtl8136.devicedesc%;Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem35.inf,%rts5229cr%;Realtek PCIE CardReader

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\fastfat.SYS

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\cdrom.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\usbohci.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @usbvideo.inf,%usbvideo.devicedesc%;USB Video Device

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\i8042prt.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\kbdclass.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Apfiltr.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mouclass.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\Accelerometer.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cmbatt.inf,%acpi\acpi0003.devicedesc%;Microsoft AC Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cmbatt.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\WirelessButtonDriver64.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\wmiacpi.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\AmdAS4.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem115.inf,%mfcj615w.net.scn%;Brother MFC-J615W LAN

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem102.inf,%mfj485dw.net.scn%;Brother MFC-J485DW LAN

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem70.inf,%sensorssimulatordriver.devicedesc%;Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\NdisVirtualBus.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mssmbios.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\swenum.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdpbus.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem112.inf,%clwvd.devicedesc%;CyberLink WebCam Virtual Driver

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem57.inf,%xsplit_dummy.devicedesc%;XSplit  Stream  Audio  Renderer

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @kdnic.inf,%kdnic.devicedesc%;Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem16.inf,%hdaudiodevicedescription%;AMD High Definition Audio Device

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem53.inf,%generic_18ec.devicedesc%;Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem93.inf,%generic.devicedesc%;Ralink Bluetooth PCIe Adapter

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem15.inf,%rtl8136.devicedesc%;Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED Realtek High Definition Audio

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cmbatt.inf,%acpi\pnp0c0a.devicedesc%;Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem70.inf,%sensorssimulatordriver.devicedesc%;Microsoft Visual Studio Location Simulator Sensor

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem112.inf,%clwvd.devicedesc%;CyberLink WebCam Virtual Driver

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem57.inf,%xsplit_dummy.devicedesc%;XSplit  Stream  Audio  Renderer

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @oem16.inf,%hdaudiodevicedescription%;AMD High Definition Audio Device

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\hidusb.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\kbdhid.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\mouhid.sys

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\MTConfig.sys

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @monitor.inf,%pnpmonitor.devicedesc%;Generic PnP Monitor

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\WudfPf.sys

Then, I turned off the driver policy thing, but it also didn't work. So I booted into Safe Mode and used driver rollback again

amdmatt

Please can you try a manual inf installation of the drivers via Device Manager to see if that installs correctly?

1. Download Crimson 16.6.1

2. Navigate to Device Manager > Displays > Driver and click Update Driver

3.  Select Browse My Computer and Browse again, then select the Crimson 16.6.1 downloaded file and click Okay

4. Device Manager should not install the display driver

muncrief

I can confirm that the Crimson 16.3.2 drivers are causing Windows 7 x64 systems with A6-5200 APUs to freeze at the login screen. I just did a clean install on a friends computer because their system froze after they updated their drivers. Sure enough, as soon as I installed the 16.3.2 drivers it happened again. I tried not installing Vulkan but as others commented that didn't matter. The display driver is hammering the system. The laptop is an HP 15-F305DX.

For those having the problem you can recover as follows:

Open Device Manager

Double clicking the AMD Radeon Driver entry

Click on the "Driver" tab

Click on "Update Driver"

Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

Click on "Standard VGA Graphics Driver"

Click "Next" then "Close"

Now reboot and you can run your computer normally again.

The 16.3.2 driver needs to be pulled immediately. It's causing crashes for many people, as many have called me with the same problem.

cking123

Hi

I have managed to install 16.9.2 without the black screen!!! Except that the drivers slow my computer to a crawl where anything I do literally take seconds. And again, I am not alone:

A8-7410 with R5 M330 atikmdag.sys high CPU usage only on Crimson drivers

HP 15-AF109NF with A8-7410 R5-M330 can't use official AMD drivers ?

However, in one of the threads, @amdmatt mentioned that the problem was finally reproduced internally, and that the 16.11.x drivers currently don't contain a fix (nor are they compatible with APUs, from the release notes)

@amdmatt, do you have an idea of when the driver with this fix would come out?

-CKing

cking123

Hi kingfish

The problem is that the 16.9.2 drivers cause constant freezing. Previously, I could just switch back to 16.2.1, but now, if I revert back, everything is fine until a restart which I believe is due to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Then, explorer keeps crashing. So, I am now using Microsoft Basic Video Drivers, and before playing a game, I use Device Manager to switch to 16.2.1. Then, before shutting down, I revert it back to the basic video drivers.

I know that the microsoft basic drivers are super slow, and they cause other problems, like the Sleep option is not shown (for the hardware not being compatible), and the brightness remains 100% even though I reduce it but my screen remains fully bright. But for now, I am waiting for the newer drivers so I don't have to resort to this workaround just to use the older drivers.

-CKing

cking123

amdmatt, can you give us an idea of when the new driver that fixes this comes out?

-CKing

cking123

The 16.12.1 driver finally fixed the problem for me.

-CKing