2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 2:57 PM by warspirituk

AMD APP Video Recording Programs Crashing Full PC

warspirituk

Hello I have been having this issue since November 2015 with no solutions found so far. I believe this is due to a graphics driver update, possibly since Catalyst 15.7.

I record a lot of video game footage for YouTube, I use Mirillis Action primarily and it has a feature that lets you use AMD APP technology to record to MP4 format. Unfortunately trying to use this feature has caused my whole PC to freeze since November and I have to hit the power button to restart it. I have also tried using AMD Raptr to record which uses the same technology as Mirillis Action but it also causes the exact same style of crash. No error logs are reported. My game is simply left at the exact frame it was on, the sound immediately stop and my computer is completely unresponsive until I restart it.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit.

AMD Sapphire HD 7970 GPU

Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 CPU

16GB RAM

All Graphics Drivers and Software Updates are up to date for Mirillis Action/Raptr

This is a serious issue occurring with my PC relating to the AMD acceleration technology for encoding videos and I've been having it for moths now with no resolution. Mirillis has a great support team but they have been unable to assist me so I am coming here to ask AMD for help. Please help! Thanks.

• Re: AMD APP Video Recording Programs Crashing Full PC
          amdmatt

Please try the following to troubleshoot your issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable. Don't panic if they are not able to be repaired, continue with the steps below. If the steps below don't resolve the issue, then it's time for a fresh Windows installation.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

5. Uninstall the AMD Gaming Evolved App and Mirillis Action.

6. Attempt to install the latest Crimson 16.3 drivers once the above is completed.

7. Reinstall Mirillis Action/AMD Gaming Evolved App and determine if the issue is resolved.

If the same problem persists after completing the above, i think you will need to try a fresh installation of Windows, fully update it following the steps above and try again.