10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 8:32 AM by amdmatt

295x2 memory clock fluctuation

tronman

Hi guys,

I've already submitted a report on this but I want to know if this is normal behaviour. I own a XFX 295x2 card and since the crimson drivers released, I've noticed that sometimes when my system is at idle the memory clocks bounce up and down between 150 and 1250 constantly. The reason this is concerning me is I can hear the VRM fan wind up and down, which is pretty annoying considering the system is supposed to be an an idle state. As we don't have any control over that fan, there's nothing I can do to mitigate this.

Please see the attached image and look at GUP1 memory clock - I am sure this is not normal behaviour. Surely boosting to full clocks is not necessary when idle or browsing the internet?

Are there any other 295x2 owners with this issue?

• Re: 295x2 memory clock fluctuation
          goodplay

What driver version are you on, I believe clock fluctuations have been fixed on 16.3 driver.

tronman

Thanks for responding goodplay, I'm on 16.2.1 hotfix and haven't upgraded to 16.3 yet. I did check the release notes and didn't see anything related to the issue, but I'll install them tonight and see how it goes.

tronman

Hey again, sorry about the long delay in replying. I've upgraded to 16.3 but have still noticed the issue. I think I need to point out that my issue is to do with fluctuating clocks when the system is at idle or in a 2D state. Basically my memory clock boosts to max for no apparent reason. I think the issue deadlyseven is having might be to do with clocks dropping during 3D rendering - which is hurting performance.

I can also confirm the power efficiency toggle does not display for the 295x2 card.

amdmatt

It's normal for it to boost to maximum state sometimes when idle, it happens on my system too. It can be caused by the OS using the GPU for 2D rendering, or when you browse the web the browser can use the GPU for hardware acceleration to play videos.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          tronman

Thanks Matt, appreciate the confirmation. The issue I guess I still have is that I can hear the VRM fan wind up and down at idle which is really annoying, and seems to be unnecessary considering the the GPU temp is only 37 deg at idle and I can't imagine the VRMs would be much hotter. The VRM fan seems to be controlled at the driver level - I know this because when I uninstall drivers the fan blares away at 100% until I install newer drivers. I've never really understood why it's not handled by the VBIOS? Do you know if anything has happened since the introduction with crimson on the VRM fan curve for the 295x2 cards?

deadlyseven

I am having same issue with 16.3. However the disable power efficiency is missing.  Under Gaming->Global Settings->Global Graphics

This is hurting performance pretty bad, my Futuremark FireStrike test has dropped about 4-5k points.

Thanks

5930k @ 4.5ghz

r295x2

32GB Ram

1300 PSU