5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2016 6:51 PM by techguy

AMD 9590 freezing and some BSD...

surf3rdud3

So I've been having system lockups for about 2 months now... I have RMA'd almost every part in my rig besides the GPU's and the RAM... since I tested the RAM by switching out sticks with sticks I knew worked fine from another Rig in the household. And same goes for the GPU which was a 6950 card. I recently took it back to the local PC shop for I don't know... the third time. Luckily this time they had a spare AMD CPU, popped it in and was able to run Arma 2 for about an hour without any lockups. So that pretty much determined that the problem was in fact the 9590 I had in the build.

What I don't understand is that prior to the sudden lockups I had no problems with it for over a year. Once I threw another XFX 290x in the mix the problems occurred, now I was told that the added GPU wouldn't be a problem with my 1000W PSU so I dropped in and played for an hour maybe and the freezes started, so at first I thought it was my new card. I took it out and the problem was still happening. So I figured the Mobo went bad I RMA'd it still happening, thought it was my PSU I RMA'd it as well and the problem was still there.

So I just recieved my CPU back from AMD I throw it in and put the thermal paste on and booted it up. It was running fine until I started downloading the Division via Steam and it lockedup again... I read somewhere that I can disable Turbo Boost in the BIOS but I couldn't find it in my particular BIOS but I heard mixed feelings on the matter so I gave up looking.

I just started getting Bluescreen of Death when I got my CPU back as well I never have enough time to see what the actual error is.

Also heard to disable C1E and C6 in the BIOS but I also heard negative things on it as well.

I heard you can turn down the multiplier to like 20 I did but it still is freezing.

Also would like to know if my PSU can handle all this? I asked the techs at the PC Shop and they said it shouldn't have any problems.

At this point I'm pretty confused as to what to do. It seems I've tried everything I can think of.

I'd like to note that my drivers and BIOS are all up to date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Current Build:

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

GPU: 2x XFX R9 290X 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM1000W

CPU: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7 GHz Black Edition

CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i 240mm

RAM: 4x G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3

Storage: Samsung Evo 250GB & a WD 1TB HD

• Re: AMD 9590 freezing and some BSD...
          black_zion

Your PSU is a quality unit and is fine. Is there anything in the system event log?

surf3rdud3

I was actually able to fix the freezing by clicking the Default button in my BIOS which said it was going to load the optimized default settings...

I dont know how that would help... I did mess with the C1E and C6 in the settings but I changed them back to the original setting when the freezing was still happening... I've been able to play the Division all day without crashes or lock ups luckily... Only thing I've noticed is that my main GPU is doing all the work and the secondary isn't doing much at all.. I know this is a CPU section but if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction as too get both cards to work together that would be awesome.

The main card was over heating a bit so I had to throw a fan on it... Yea I know very ghetto but it actually helped. Don't know if I need to get liquid cooling for them or if there is a setting somewhere so the main card wont work so hard.

Have no idea if Division even supports Crossfire atm. Thanks.

EDIT: I answered the crossfire problem I usually run my games in windowed mode... I guess I'll have to run them in full screen. And the GPU's run hot which is normal I guess From what I read. I guess I'll have to figure out how to mount some liquid cooling to them... Which is gonna be difficult since they have to be seated next to each other.

techguy

There is a high probability that you did NOT get two bad FX-9590 CPUs. Thus I'd suggest you may have some mobo or BIOS settings issue that causes the BSOD. Have you checked the CPU temp under load to be certain it does not exceed 61C? The applets Core Temp, Aida64 and HWiNFO will show you pretty accurate temps in the 60C-70C temp range. If your CPU exceeds 61C under heavy load then that is likely your problem. If your CPU temp stays at or below 61C under heavy load then I'd recommend the settings below because mobo "auto" settings do not work well with high powered 8-core FX CPUs IME.

This is what I would recommend:

1. Disable C6, C1E and Cool & Quiet - this will NOT hurt anything, they are just power saving modes

2. Manually set the CPU to the specified default vcore shown for your specific CPU

3. Manually set the DRAM timings listed on the DIMMs - assuming they were purchased as ONE DIMM kit and NOT two individual DIMMs. If bought as two independent DIMMs you likely will need slower timings to prevent issues.

4. If the DIMMs are 1.5v increase the voltage to 1.55v

5. Set CPU NB to 1.2875v and HT to 1.25v-1.28v

6. Set Hyper transport frequency to 2600 MHz.

7. Set CPU-Northbridge frequency to 2400 MHz.

Run the system in Manual mode - NOT "auto" mode and set the CPU multiplier to "23.5" for the FX-9590, to "20" for the FX-8350, etc.

None of these settings are crazy nor should they cause any issues with your PC. I and other folks have run these settings for years without issue on many different brands and models of mobos using FX 8-core CPUs. You may need to play around with the vcore power stability settings when in manual mode to insure the vcore voltage stay close to what you have set it in the BIOS when under heavy load. Applets like OCCT or similar that will record the CPU temp/vcore/frequency are very helpful in fixing operational problems

1 of 2 people found this helpful