17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 1:54 PM by leggir

Whats up with these new Fury cards, Video Tdrfailure, Atikmpag.

brucer

I just bought a Gigabyte R9-Fury Windforce OC Edition from Newegg.. They had a flash sale for $469.99 so I went ahead and decided to get it instead of the gtx980, maybe a mistake...  I've always ran AMD cards since the gtx680 I had some years ago was problematic....  I bought a hd6850 at that time, then some years later I purchased a r9-290...

Enter today, I eagerly awaited the arrival of my new Fury card ,which surprisingly, fedex promptly delivered at 9am......

Now, I built this computer 2 weeks ago and have had it up and running the entire time with the on chip intel graphics, a clean install of windows10, running benchmarks and testing temps and doing some limited gaming with the Intel graphics...

specs are:

Gigabyte GA-z170x-gaming 5

I5-6600k@4.4ghz and running at 46-48celsius..

16ig gskill ddr4 memory... f4-3000c15d-16gvgb

Gigabyte R9-Fury Windforce OC Edition

Samsung 850evo m.2 ssd,  mounted in the top slot.

Evga 750g2  (750watt gold certified psu)

I install the card, downloaded the drivers, installed the current drivers without amd evolve app or whatever the gaming app is called, and from there it went down hill quick... Rebooted the computer, it booted fine, messing with the desktop, then had a black screen, rebooted, another black screen, changed out from display port to hdmi same thing, reboot, same thing black screen... I installed the "hotfix" and black screen right off the bat..  During all this nonsense I got a Video tdr failure and Atikmpag.. All while getting black screens and having to reboot.. Decided to call Gigabyte tech support and guy there had me go into the bios and change some video setting to legacy support, with no change whatsoever..  Gigabyte tech support recommended me returning the card. He simply said it sounds like a dead card..

Now, from past years AMD has always had problematic driver issues to some extent.. After mingling around in this forum, it reads to me like they are at it again. Trying to keep it on the down low to some extent..   I've used AMD since my older r9-290 and the r9-290 has never given me an ounce of issues.  I'll give this second Fury one more chance, after that, if its a fail I'll return it and exchange it for an nvdia gtx980 and I'll done with AMD..   You spend near $500 on a video card the thing better work and drivers better work..

I've seen many others having issues with these Fury cards, what gives? anyone else gettign the Video tdr failure, and Atimpag

• Re: Whats up with these new Fury cards, Video Tdrfailure, Atikmpag.
          xeleron

You might simply have a DOA card,meaning the GPU was manufactured dead (what a quality testing Gigabyte has).Just for the test,could you install the gpu in another system?

brucer

The Gigabyte tech support suggested I rma the card.. I'm not wasting a bunch of my time attempting to trouble shoot a card, with poor or non working drivers...  I believe Atikmpag is the driver, so that that suggests to me the driver failed and the "hotfix" also failed.. I'll return it get another card, if it fails I'll go to an nvidia card.. AMD knows of this problem and has yet to fix it.

I'm going to return the card and stick an old hd6850 in the system just to confirm the slot is working correctly. It might be a windows 10/driver issue, but from what I've been reading across several forums its an issue with the fury and fury-x drivers..

I dont mind messing with something to a point, but after you drop that much money on a gpu, it better be pretty much plug-n-play.. I'm not a beta tester.. Time is money..

xeleron

It's very simple,if the card is faulty video drivers will misbehave and cause bluescreens and crashes since the chips they should drive are defective.Try to install the GPU in another system if you can to eliminate the motherboard (compatibility stuff).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      brucer

I have verified its the card and or drivers... I loaded my old HD6850 in this new system and it runs flawlessly, actually far better than you think it would..

xeleron

Of course it runs well,the video card may be a bit dated but the circuitry inside it works well.Obviously,on the R card it does not.How,or why do these cards pass quality testing?Ask Gigabyte,they're the ones manufacturing it.Amd does not actually produce video cards,it creates a refference model and the chip inside the GPU (the memory is manufactured by other companies in a joint effor with AMD).I've had my own bad experiences with DOA Gigabyte Gpus,from both manufacturers (a r9 280X Windforce and a gtx 770).Both of them were refunded by the store where I bought them but the bad thing is that here in Romania the transport back to the store is (in many cases) paye by the customer so I lost quite alot.The only GPU Gigabyte sold to me that lasted for a lifetime was a Radeon 2600XT Silentpipe 2,so i've learned to trust them only on the motherboard side.My two cents.

brucer

What amd manufacturers do you suggest?  Newegg is going to give me a refund on a special ocassion.. They said they dont usual do that, they usually replace the card with the same make and model but under my circumstance they were more than happy too do a refund.. I'm now guessing they are having many rma's on these Fury cards so they were willing to just do a refund with in store credit...

I really want a Fury, thats what I had my heart set on, but I guess I had some bad luck with my Fury.. Whats funny is the hd6850 I tested with to verify everything else was OK is an old gigabyte card, lol...

xeleron

I don't know what prices you might find them in but look for Sapphire or Asus models.If you have a decent airflow you don't have to go for uber expensive models such as Strix .

brucer

I'm running an nzxt s340 case with two 140mm intake fans and one 120mm rear exhaust fan and one 140mm top exhaust fan.

brucer

I'm seriously thinking of going green...  This has really put a bad taste in my mouth for amd cards.

Also I'm running a 2k monitor right now with future plans of going up to a 34" monitor so I need more than the r9-390x, then you look at the less than stellar driver support we are already experiencing with these new amd cards, I can see no plus in going with a 390x

brucer

Now, I have verified both of my old gpu's, which are an Gigabyte HD6850 and a MSI r9-290 run flawlessly in my new system...

My new system:

I5-6600k@4.4ghz

GigabyteGA-z170x-gaming g5

16gig Gskill ddr4 3000mhz

samsung 850evo m.2

Windows 10

I installed both my old cards exactly the same way I installed the failed Fury and any other gpu I would install, and have pretty much done it this way for the last 10 yrs..

Download CCC, DDU and Latest AMD drivers..

System on with old card installed, I go to ctrl panel--Progams/uninstall program-- highlight AMD install manager--- click uninstall/change---make sure everything is checked and accept to uninstall..  power down the system, turn the psu switch to off and unplug.. open case, remove old card, insert new card, close up case, plug in psu, turn psu on...  turn system on, after it gets booted up and install latest drivers.

Then I ran CCC and DDU.

Both old cards installed perfectly..

Now over the years of using AMD cards, Why hasnt AMD made it a default action to remove everything when you UNINSTALL AMD DRIVERS with AMD's uninstall utility, instead of having to use CCC and DDU as an added download/install and program run, this completely amazes me, this is 2016, not 1995.. Why not include it within the default uninstall utility?

I even ran Unigine Valley at default install settings with the hd6850 and r9-290 in both systems, quite a bit of boost in fps between the two, lol...  Actually the fps difference between my I5-6600k@4.4ghz and my FX8350 parked and locked @4.2ghz with the r9-290 was quite a bit..   The I5-6600k saw a 27fps increase between with the fx8350 running with a 1680x1050 monitor and the I5-6600k on a 2560x1080 LG 29um55 uwhd monitor..   That was a fun test..

i5 r9290.JPG

fx8350 r9290.JPG

kwikasacat

you are among ALOT of ppl having black screens, its not just the fury cards but the best part of the r9 series especially the 300 series . you seem to be one of the unlucky ones who cant even get into windows. 1 thread on the ubisoft forums is 20 pages long full of r9 300 series cards all with the exact same crash in far cry primal, i understand thats not exactly the same crash your getting but ive found many a thread on your issue while searching on mine.  i started on the forum trail 5-6 days ago and guess what.. i got my r9 380 6 days ago. black screens while playing games and watching videos for me. amd havn't said anything on the matter atall.