23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 1:30 AM by amdmatt

Are you having a laugh? Flickering Crossfire in The Division

ximox

You release an hotfix 4 days after the biggest release of the year and it doesn't fix the only massively serious problem it has? I understand how hard it is to dedicate development resources to test drivers before releases and collaborate with game developers for the few important releases there are in one year, as probably some sponge-like management team sucks all the funds on their not deserved wages and bonuses instead of investing them on this unimportant details. Let me tell you something, AMD could be twice the company it is if it just would provide a decent service to the users who are spending loads of money on hardware which punctually doesn't work on release of games and really ruins the pleasure and excitement of a game release. I havent been able to play the Division yet as I refuse to play it on a single core, with low graphics and FPS while my Nvidia or single core friends level up happily and I am the idiot that spent twice the money for nothing. Last AMD I am buying and I will make sure everybody I know will do the same. this is not funny anymore, Thanks.

• Re: Are you having a laugh? Flickering Crossfire in The Division
          mottoman216

both crossfire and sli has problems with new games... wait a few days for driver update. or use 1 GPU. bickering and promising to never buy AMD or whatnot gets you virtually no where.

PS: Nvidia has the same exact issue. my 970's in sli get poor performance, freezes, flickering also. so don't try to act like Nvidia isn't having this issue also.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/922398/?comment=4829111

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/913525/?comment=4795177

qwixt

I've had both, and I thought crossfire was much better. When I tried SLI, it seemed to have much smaller number of games supported, and you had to always fiddle with nvidia inspector. It was so disappointing that I returned the second card quickly. Whereas with AMD, it seemed like CCC get it working. If not, just disable it was simple for a game. Every game released seems to have little or no support for multi-gpu. I no longer consider it worth the headache.

ximox

Thanks dad, Mind your own business btw, you obviously dont own a crossfire anymore so you don't care, if you did you would get mad as you spent 1000 eur and you cant play, the driver was provided with support for the division, then 4 days after the release 1.6.3 was out and specifically didnt work with crossfire. by the time the driver (or game patch, don't get me wrong here the developers have the same responsibility both sides) will be out i will be probably done with the game, so i wasted (again) money in buying crossfire. If there was no people complaining in the world we would be extinct as everyone would do what the hell they please. If you bought a car and the car would go max 50kmh because "the ecu is not programmed well yet, please wait for a update that MAYBE will come in the next couple of months" but you need to go on holidays the next day what do you do? where is the difference? Providing a partly functional product is unacceptable, no excuses. (By the way I have 2 colleagues both on a 9xx SLI, and works a treat for them, with crossfire it doesn't work , full stop! for nobody.)

bolivar

The problem is we can not disable Crossfire for whatever reason in the newer drivers.

sylvethter

actually, just in case nobody has been helpful on this aspect, you can disable crossfire with the new crimson drivers. its just a tad of a journey, took me a while to figure it out myself. when you bring up the Radeon Settings window, click on the Preferences tab on the bottom. when your at that window, click Radeon Additional Settings. that will bring up a half version of the classic catalyst window which has the crossfire on/off switch.

kingfish

Nvidia has already released two graphics updates for this game...both of which made the game unplayable. They now are telling it.s users to delete them and revert to the last WHQL drivers.

AMD, Nvidia evenly matched in The Division, first game-ready Nvidia drivers problematic | ExtremeTech

I know you realize that crossfire/sli users are minute compared to single gpu users. Why would this be a big concern to a game developer?  A large percentage of the posts on this forum and Nvidia forums are from multiple gpu users. A good single gpu setup can run any current/future game. But, you won't win the Biggest Beltbuckle prize.

kroms

So basically your saying or agreeing to what I am saying.  Better off buying a SINGLE  GPU and be done with it then to purchase 2 Gpus.

" A large percentage of the posts on this forum and Nvidia forums are from multiple gpu users. A good single gpu setup can run any current/future game. But, you won't win the Biggest Beltbuckle prize. "

The only problem is , you better make sure that one or the other GPU maker does not get there SLI/CROSSFIRE working and working great .  If that happens then Buying only 1 Gpu will not deter buyers from going with the Gpu maker that gets it 2xGpu drivers setup  resolved and working .

Still glad to See AMD Finally making in roads in this mater .  The last 4-5 years AMD was just  so out of Touch with it's Drivers and support for issues that it makes me wonder WTF  was AMD ( CEO or the board) thinking ?  Reminds me of AUDI way back when they had major electrical issues with there Car's.  They didn't sit back and not address it, they knew what was the problem and turned that BRAND around in a hurry.  Now no one thinks twice with purchasing an Audi.

bolivar

Exactly. I'm ditching Crossfire for now and will ride out a single 290 until the new cards hit this summer. Then I'll go with whoever has the best card with power consumption under 375 watts. But as far as multi-GPU, never again.

kingfish

Yes...that is what I believe. I have never seen a real need for crossfire except in certain instances. Wall sized displays, a weak single card (HD1950 example) that can be paired with another weak card to give better performance cheaply. A single high powered card, with the above cravat, will play any current game...with none of the historical crossfire issues. On the other hand, using amdmatt as an example ran 4 FuryX's and now runs 2 Nano's with no reported issues at all ...so I don't lose sight of the fact that a large percentage of 'problems' are caused by the user.

kroms

" On the other hand, using amdmatt as an example ran 4 FuryX's and now runs 2 Nano's with no reported issues at all ...so I don't lose sight of the fact that a large percentage of 'problems' are caused by the user. "    ? 

Can you elaborate on this ?

What exactly do you mean  a large percentage of problems are caused by the user ?

I don't know about anyone else but I don't have issues with games outside of it being a problem with the GAME or the drivers not supporting something , " Like Crossfire"

Up until Tom Clancy's the Division  all 123 games installed of my system work. No issues at all.  I can run Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6 Siege no problem and it runs well.Even with Crossifre on it still runs ok , not that I see an improvement with 2 Gpus ( so many the Crossifre driver not working ? )  but on the whole it runs fine and with graphics settings  turned up .   Given that the Division is a problematic issue for many  AMD and Nvidia users  I do not think it is   " Us users " that are the problem here.

There is something very wrong with either the  GAME  or The Drivers for this game.  If it were my system  or how it is configured or somehow not setup properly or not up to date with Drivers or whatever the case, I would think that I would have other issues with over the 123 tiles that I have either played or playing.

Also on that note, Running the Division benchmark also fails, so clearly it is more then a system issue here.

Hey if there is something that you know that can resolve this ISSUE I am more then happy to try it out and report back.

Please note , I have already tried so many of the possible fixes for this GAME and none have helped.   Everything from a complete Driver clean Uninstall to Reinstall latest drivers , to try older ones. to Reinstall Direct X ,to just about every thing I could find either on Ubisofts Support forums and every where else online.

The good thing is , I am not ALONE on this.

amdmatt

We are aware of the issue and are working with the developer to resolve the issue. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

mavericksy19

ximox how long have you been a multi GPU user?  I had SLI back when it was first released and I had Crossfire back as far as the X1900 series where you had clunky cables to hookup for it to work.  This has always had poor support for newly released titles.  Only about 50% of the time will you have a title work perfect in SLI/Crossfire at release.  AMD is not alone in this.  When I owned a set of GTX 285 cards in SLI I had these same issues, since then I have owned 2 6970s 2 R290X and now 2 Fury X's.  They will work it out just be patient, or go buy 2 Nvidia cards and then you will be on their forums complaining about their poor support for SLI.

kroms

I agree to an extent.

On the other hand, it seems like going forward regardless of what GPU you have it is far better to just get a TOP end SINGLE  GPU then to spend money on 2 Gpus only to have these issues over and over. I mean it makes no sense what so ever to even fathom buying 2 gpus for Crossfire or SLI if you are just going to be at the mercy from the devs, or AMD/Nvidia to fix the issues with Updates.  Lets be honest, sometimes it takes months and by then I'd really lost all interest in the game because I could never really ENJOY IT to begin with.

If we are going to be honest, Crossfire history has not been great when considering how many titles simply just dont work or if they did there are always some issues.

Example it too a really long time to fix the BF4 crossfire issues and now with the Division it is the same thing only worse.

HITMAN is apparently crossfire ready but I don't own that title and even then I am not sure that it even the case that crossfire works great on that Title ?

I for one  will wait for the Next release of the  Polaris and Pascal and then most likely purchase the High end GPU based on the History of both Company's and right now AMD has  " A Lot of work " to gain ground on Nvidia when it comes to Driver updates for Games.  Yes it has gotten somewhat better with Crimson but honestly , they have to step it up a little.

Even purchasing 1 GPU  is dependent on the COMPANY making sure it is supported well in terms of Updates for Drivers and also patches or fixes from the Gpu maker or Game title devs.

It might be a lot of work  but AMD could well regain much Market share back if they just made sure they had nothing short of the BEST driver/s support out there for there GPU's. Just having the fastest GPU out there is not going to cut it anymore. Id rather have a slightly slower gpu in terms of Benchmarks  but one that WORKS an works well in single or crossfire mode then to have the TOP benchmark scoring GPU but problematic when running the latest games on the market.

I definitely don't want to be stuck with  2 R9 290's  only to regret why i spent that cash and never got to enjoy my  GPU's  in the long run.

Anyways' here is hoping 2016 is the year AMD gets back to its glory days when ATI was just Awesome to have in your system. IT WORKED an worked well.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                        bolivar

I couldn't agree more. I'm selling my second 290 this week before the prices plunge after Polaris and I'd advise you to do the same. It seems like support falls entirely on AMD and I am woefully disappointed with their efforts.

I'd only disagree with the driver support. Outside of Crossfire, it's been fantastic and they're even now releasing drivers before big releases. I also like how my card gets significantly better at the end of the year with big driver updates like Catalyst Omega and now Crimson. That's That's a huge plus when Nvidia driver support seems to fall off after the first year of a new product.

That said, I'm still going to give Nvidia a shot at my money this summer. Unless it's something like GDDR5X vs HBM1, I'm going to go with whoever has the best price to performance.

ximox

Three weeks , holidays break gone and yet nothing, there is NO excuse,  not everybody is stupid and many of us know that game and drivers developers have access to each other technology months before the game release so the lack of compatibility with crossfire its obviously due to priorities pushed elsewhere and limited/unprofessional management and resources assigned to projects (typical money-eating corporation style) and surely partly to developing useless graphical interfaces for drivers that dont even work, who cares how they look if they dont work, I rather have a windows 2000 style interface simple and with no useless added crap such as "AMD Gaming evolved" (calling that evolved???LOL) which just sits there spamming ads and sucking resources as I am sure most of us agree. I feel ashamed with myself having spent 1K+ EUR (I mean 1000 EUR guys, that's a month wage for many people !!) for a graphic card and playing a game in low FX with negative peaks of fps down to 25!!!

I lost now completely the trust in AMD; I mean let's face it, it has been a big huge joke with crossfire, you just don't care.

If it was my company I would have a room full of devs with coffee and food 24/7 until the problem is fixed, besides surely a decent company would release the driver before game is out or perhaps JUST after.  I hate being acid but I am really bored, my 295x2 is now for sale (pm me if interested and good luck) and as a matter of principle, I won't buy another AMD. Dont get me wrong, surely Nvidia has problems too, but at least the customer service is active, polite and  makes an effort in answering and giving time frames and not the usual "we are working on the issue sorry for the inconvenience " crap that just makes me even more upset. Thanks for ruining the game release I was waiting for one year to play ..( and all the others before).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                        kroms

kingfish

Correct Answer by kingfish on Mar 10, 2016 7:13 PM

"Nvidia has already released two graphics updates for this game...both of which made the game unplayable. They now are telling it.s users to delete them and revert to the last WHQL drivers.

AMD, Nvidia evenly matched in The Division, first game-ready Nvidia drivers problematic | ExtremeTech

"I know you realize that crossfire/sli users are minute compared to single gpu users. Why would this be a big concern to a game developer?  A large percentage of the posts on this forum and Nvidia forums are from multiple gpu users. A good single gpu setup can run any current/future game. But, you won't win the Biggest Beltbuckle prize. "

And there you have folks, do not buy a 2ND  GPU anymore going forward .   Just purchase 1 GPU and be happy with it.

AMD  better hope to GOD  that they have a MUCH MUCH better GPU solution then NVidia does with it's up coming GPU  because If it does not  I will end my endorsement and Support for AMD  going way back to when it was still ATI.

I'm done  being content to spend MORE  $$  to purchase 2ND   Amd Gpu , and then  hope  that it can  perform as good or better then a single Nvidia GPU solution.

Now whether this due to Game developers optimizing there game for one gpu or another I don't care, and in all honesty that is why AMD decided to put time and money into OpenGPU . They should have done this ages ago  just like Nvidia was pushing there Gameworks  onto Developers.

Yes Nvidia has some issues with its Drivers for The Division no doubt but  OVER ALL  SLI support  seems a bit better then AMD's and up until Raja K was brought in the AMD GPU support and drivers division was a mess and CCC was just GOD Awful.

One last thing Kingfish....maybe you should tell AMD marketing to remove the ...........

"  AMD CrossFire™ Technology

With outstanding performance scaling, a system equipped with AMD CrossFire™ technology keeps you fragging while everyone else is reaching for an upgrade.12

I mean hey , in your own words.......

(  "  I know you realize that crossfire/sli users are minute compared to single gpu users. Why would this be a big concern to a game developer? "   )

Here is hoping that 2016 AMD GPU Division  will get on board and fix these  issues ( drivers and support ) and make it worth the while to purchase a 2ND  Gpu , or just  say out right , that  it  is not worth it and  put that money into a more High end Single Gpu.   Don't advertise  CROSSFIRE  it is   NOT GOING TO WORK !

kingfish

Crossfire/SLI have been problematic from the beginning. At one time both companies suggested the 'fix' was to add another card...Tri-Fire There are legitimate reasons for two graphics cards ...hugh wall displays or a weak graphics card (example HD1950) where adding another would be way cheaper than replacing with a single high-powered card. But what I see, IMO, is the "Big Belt Buckle" syndrome.

amdmatt

There is already an ongoing discussion on this topic

Please refer to this discussion and post any updates you have here: ** ONGOING* When can we expect an working Crossfire profile for Tom Clancy's The Division?

I am locking this thread.