5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 2:24 AM by kingfish

CRIMSON does not support APU +HD7950 ?

max.kargl@utanet.at

Hi, whenever trying to update the crimson package  (--> as suggested via pop-up!) in my system A3850~ HD6550 internal + HD7950 (dual monitor setup, one is driven by hd6550 (Desktop) the other by hd7950 (Gaming))
      the installer willl only recognize the hd6550 and thus only update "Hdmi audio driver" and such, but never the display driver.

The primary display is the HD7950 (also in BIOS), deactivating the HD6550 does not help.
      That can be seen in the installation log, where only the hd6550 is mentioned. So this is a "pure" AMD system  and still AMDs crimson installer is not able to do a correct job?

• Re: CRIMSON does not support APU +HD7950 ?
          black_zion

Why not drive both displays on the 7950? The HD 6000 series and earlier are legacy cards and use a different driver package than the HD 7000 series and later.

max.kargl@utanet.at

Thank you for your reply !

1) the idea is workload balancing.

As the 2nd display is always on (e.g. games manual) (extended desktop)

it takes some resources for rendering. As there is no 3D involved in this,

that is the ideal job for the APU.  So I'd like the hd7950 to to

concentrate on its main task, game rendering.

By the way this has been working for years and years so if I install a

new "magic" driver package should I not expect such functionality anymore

(note:we are talking about AMD integrated +AMD Desktop, both on the

compatibility list for crimson )?

2) your idea won't help anyway, because the crimson installer only

recognizes the hd6550 (which can not be unplugged as it is part of the APU)

. So the hd7950 would stay on whatever driver version it was.

Thank you for your suggestion anyway.

2016-03-10 2:19 GMT+01:00 black_zion <amd-external@jiveon.com>:

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

CRIMSON does not support APU +HD7950 ? in Drivers & Software

kingfish

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

• AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
              • AMD E2-2000 APU
              • AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
              • AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
              • AMD C-Series APUs
              • AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver. If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issu

1. Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Pane
              2. Reboot the system
              3. Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.

Windows 10 Driver Support for AMD APU Graphics Products

max.kargl@utanet.at

Thank you for your suggestions which, I will try out tomorrow.
                  Although they seem to be centered on the APU part.
                  But maybe after doing that the desktop card will be recognized (by the crimson installer?)?

note:we are talking about AMD integrated +AMD Desktop, both on the compatibility list for crimson

Regardless, even if that works out, my original question then would have to be answered with a clear NO,
                  as I would have to take two different steps for two AMD Graphics cards,IOW the crimson package does not do its job.
                  What I find rather irritating are the popup-suggestions (AMD-gaming evolved) for installing new versions which then only upgrade the HDMI-Sounddriver and nothing else.
                  By the way, If I do it "the windows way" , are these drivers equivalent to crimson (regarding game compatibility and performance increases)?
                  Regards
                      Max

kingfish

First of all, if you insist on using raptr/gaming evolved, disable the 'check for update drivers' in raptr options. The info that raptr provides is often wrong. If you have the discrete card set as the Primary in the bios then it should be reading it as such and offering a update..What you can try is disabling hardware acceleration in the browser...all browsers (and flash) have this option. This would allow your second monitor to run the 2D applications with the processor..not the discrete card.