0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2016 12:08 AM by rdon_711

Display drivers cause BSOD on machine downgraded to Win7

rdon_711

I'm working on a friend's Acer Aspire V5-122P-0408 that I downgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 7 at their request. It has a 1 GHz AMD A4-1250 processor with AMD Radeon HD 8210 graphics.

Initially, I tried installing the same graphics driver from Win 8.1, which resulted in BSOD at the Windows login screen. (Note that I'm still able to log into Windows, I just can't do anything else due to lack of display.) I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled that driver, and tried using Crimson Edition to install a suitable driver. That resulted in an error message after installation:

error.jpg

To be honest, I have NO idea what any of that means. I hit "OK" and let it reboot just to see what would happen. BSOD at login screen again.

I found a post on another forum where someone had the same Acer netbook and same issue after downgrading to Win 7. They installed the AMD Catalyst 15.4 driver and it worked for them, so I tried it, as well. The same error message from before came up and BSOD after reboot again.

Since all other drivers were installed successfully and cause no problems, I'm reluctant to call this a lost cause just yet. Might anyone here be able to offer a solution? My friend and I would be eternally grateful. Thank you.