5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 10:49 PM by black_zion

AMD 9590FX CPU freezes memory only 1t

1littledog

Hello all  I have built maybe 40 rigs over the years but never a nightmare like i'm having now

I purchased a 9590 cpu I think this was my first mistake I started this build in October was to be a Xmas gift for grandson.

My original build was 9590 cpu boxed Mother board was a ASUS Killer memory was 32gb PNY DDR3 17000 Card was amd R290 4gb

Power sullpy 1200 watt corsair Drive was a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB cooler I swoped out using the Crorsair H110 would not let me load windows would knock out all the usb ports so I installed windows on a similar comp but use a 8300 cpu.

once loaded I was able to get into windows desktop downloaded drivers only having more problems cpu freeze memory only single 1t 32 on board windows shows 16gb so updated bios then after update would not boot into windows got mesage does not support this cpu

Next went out and got another mother board Asrock 990fx extreme 9 which does same issues now it is November Xmas coming ordered another 9590 cpu another mistake same problems freezes only single ram showing 32gbg only 16gb so I figured I would try another mother board this time a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3-R5 rated 220 watt cpu and you guessed it did not work oh and the R290 4gb card was a bust too sent it out was sent new one but that was not my problem with cpu just video.

now it is March and I have 4 mother boards 2 9590 cpu and nothing working

"HELP"

• Re: AMD 9590FX CPU freezes memory only 1t
          black_zion

Multiple memory modules requires 2T memory timings in BIOS, not 1T.

techguy

In addition to 2T being required when using multiple DIMMs, only seeing 16GB may be a O/S issue as there are limitations on Win 7 depending on what version you are using. As an example Win 7 Home Premium only supports 16GB. Home basic only supports 8GB. Obviously all AMD CPUs are extensively tested prior to shipment. If your CPU is running hotter than 61C under heavy load, it's running too hot and can experience BSOD and reboots. The 1T setting is probably a major cause of your issues. 

Memory Limits for Windows and Windows Server Releases (Windows)

amdmatt

In my experience using both Intel and AMD CPUs, some can support 1T, some cannot and must run 2T. It usually comes down to the memory controller on the CPU and how capable it is, coupled with how much memory you are running. I've had CPUs that would run 8GB at 1T, but as soon as you went up to 16GB you had to use 2T to keep stability. 32GB is a lot of memory to use, so i am not surprised you can only obtain stability with 2T.

I tested the performance difference between 1T and 2T and it was miniscule, so i would not worry too much about losing performance by using 2T.

techguy

In addition to the performance difference being insignificant between 1T and 2T, some DIMM makers set the DIMMs to 2T by default when the frequency is increased and or if a DRAM kit has 2-4 DIMMs. I've also seen many times when people buy individual DIMMs instead of one DIMM kit with the full quantity of DRAM and these DIMMs often won't run at the timings on an individual DIMM when used as a multiple DIMM installation because the DIMMs are speed graded at faster timings when sold as an individual DIMM or at a slower timings when in a multiple DIMM kit.

black_zion

If I remember an old website article correctly, the 2T command rate only applies to the first request in sequence, and the remainder is performed at 1T, which is why the performance difference is negligible.

1 of 1 people found this helpful