1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2016 3:27 PM by razazo12

Black screen and crash when installing drivers, please help!

dohpey

First occurred for me when attempting to run a game (Mordheim) which caused a BSOD upon launch. Restarted and my PC went into a boot loop after BIOS screen before entering Windows Recovery Mode. Performed a clean install of Windows 10 smoothly. Display adapter was recognized as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter', so I manually installed AMD's latest crimson drivers and computer crashed around 50% (During AMD Display Driver install). After waiting about 30 minutes, I hard reset. Computer entered boot loop after BIOS screen again, with monitor sporadically disconnecting & reconnecting (all black screen) until Windows Recovery Mode came up. Only way to fix was to enter safe mode and either disable or roll back the Display Adapter (Which was now recognised as 'AMD Radeon R9 200 Series'). I could then restart into normal mode without any issue. Everything works absolutely perfectly until I try and install those pesky drivers!

Specs:

OS - Windows 10 PRO 64bit

GPU - AMD Radeon R9 290X

CPU - Intel i5  4690K

MOBO - MSI  Z97 Gaming-7

I followed all of amdmatt's instructions from other threads and still run into the exact same problem, even with the Beta drivers.

Let me know if you need more information, thanks!