When playing DX11 games (Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Fallout 4) the graphic driver fails and does not recover, causing monitors to enter sleep mode requiring a hard reset of the machine.
- GPU - ASUS R9 285 Strix OC
- CPU - AMD FX8350 @ 4.0 GHz
- Motherboard: ASUS Sabretooth R990FX R2.0
- PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W
- RAM - 16GB (4 x 4GB Crucial PC3-12800)
- OS - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit (fully updated)
- GPU Driver - All Crimson Drivers tried
- Display Devices - ASUS GR235H (Connected via HDMI & via DVI), ASUS H235H (Connected via DVI)
When playing DX11 games, namely Fallout 4 and Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, at totally random times during gameplay the framerate will drop suddenly then freeze for approximately 2 seconds before both monitors turn themselves off and enter sleep mode. This also happens using just one monitor using either HDMI or DVI output. When the monitors turn off I can still hear the sounds from the game in the background, and if in TeamSpeak I can continue to speak to and listen to others in the channel. The PC will not respond to any input and nothing I have found will cause the monitors to wake from sleep. This can happen at any time during the game, from 2 minutes to 5 hours, and has happened at various points during the games - at loading screens, during times of high graphical intensity, whilst idling, in menus. There seems to be no pattern or trigger to the problem and it can easily be replicated by trying to play either game.
This issue does not however happen with certain other games - Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth & Starships are stable for hours and I have not experienced a single crash with either, and I managed an entire playthrough of Firewatch (Approx 5 hours) also with no issues.
This issue does not manifest itself at any other time; browsing, photo editing, watching films, listening to music, idling - it only happens when gaming. I have tried all Crimson Driver releases and the issue is there with them all, when I tried the 15.x Catalyst drivers the display driver does not respond and recovers successfully, but at what seems a higher frequency.
- Different Drivers - see above
- Clean Reinstall - issue remained
- ClockBlocker installed to stop downclocking issue - issue remained
- Different Monitor Configurations - Tried DVI, HDMI, DVI to VGA, Single monitor, dual monitor, issues still remains
- Card OC - Have overclocked, underclocked, ran at default settings, issue still remains
Affected Games Details:
Fallout 4 v 1.4 @ 1920x1080
Assassin's Creed: Syndicate v1.4 @1920x1080
It seems others are having this issue with their R9 Cards and Windows 10, and with other DX11 games. I will try a Windows 7 install to see if the issue persists however this is not an ideal scenario. If any further information is required just ask and I will see what I can do.
I look forward to a dev response with any information on this issue.