27 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2016 10:47 AM by fedegs

BSOD caused by processor issues

fedegs

Several months have pased since I start having those BSOD. I have tried everything (literally, almos every possible solution). I mostly tought it was a RAM problem, also HDD problems but after several checks and possible solution nothing fixed it. So I got am amswer (an answer I wasnt happy to read), I been told it could be a processor issue after reading this whocrashed report

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
      A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon.
      Arguments:
      Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception
      Arg2: fffffa8007e51038, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure.
      Arg3: 0000000000000000, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.
      Arg4: 0000000000000000, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRVBUCKET_ID:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRVPRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  X64_0x124_AuthenticAMD_PROCESSOR_BUS_PRV

Wish it is not the processor (and who better than you to tell me so), hope there is a way to check if the processor is bad and maybe it is the motherboard.

And there is something strange in all of this, because it only happen en 'low' uses of the PC (like doing nothing, surfing the net/windows, and mostly on youtube; also I noticed this problem is more frecuent in win 8 and much more in win 10; actually I am using win 7 x64) and seems to not happen in 'heavy' loads (like playing fallout 4, metal gear 5, and so on)

Hope you can help me, thanks!

PS: If you need de .dmp file or whocrashed full report just tell me.

PC specks.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 black edition 3.6 GHz

GPU: MSI R9 380

PSU: 600w

MB: Asus M5A78L-MLX3

Memory: 2x 4GB Kingstom

• Re: BSOD caused by processor issues
          techguy

I'm not certain that anyone can give you an accurate answer. You may need to try a different CPU or try your CPU in a different PC. Error reports are not always accurate. They report what they believe is happening but they don't necessarily know the cause of the problem.

Have you tried installing the latest BIOS for your mobo? Newer BIOS often fix DRAM and other issues that are reported to mobo makers. Asus mobos have IME and many other people's experience had DRAM sensitivity issues for years. Some of the DRAM on the Asus qualified lists does not work in all of the Asus model mobos it's approved for.

The fact that the issue appears to occur under light load instead of heavy load does not sound like a CPU issue to me, but there is no means to be sure without considerable testing. I always check new DRAM or current DRAM if a system issue develops with Memtest86+ on an overnight test because DRAM errors do not always show in just a few hours of testing. You could also test with just one DIMM to see if it makes any difference. I'd also check that the DIMM timings are set to the label specifications on the DIMMs and that the DIMM voltage is 1.5v unless you are using LV DDR3 DRAM. Sometimes auto detect does now set the timings as required for optimal performance.

Finding these types of issues requires a lot of testing and patience often including interchanging of some parts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              fedegs

I also dont believe it is the CPU, I really believe it is a ram problem.

I have run a lot of testing over my system, mostly software (I also updated my bios to the latest version), updated all driver, updated everything. I clean my components and changed thermal paste. I have to do more testing on ram, I tried taking off memories one at a time (havent tried swaping slots) And I must run again the memtest.

I really dont know what else do, Maybe praying [?

Any recomendation? Anything, i'll take any testing advise

amdmatt

In my experience, WHEA usually points towards the CPU, but it can be caused other hardware or software.

Is the CPU running at stock clocks?

Have you altered any bios settings?

Have you configured XMP in the bios?

What's the CPU temp?

Jorge's advice is good, testing each memory stick for around 8 hours on its own should be sufficient.

Update to the latest Mobo bios.

fedegs

I've got the latest BIOS version, never manipulated the clocks (it is in its default configuration), havent done any changes in the BIOS and I dont know what XMP is. And the temps are fine, been checking it since I start suffering this BSOD

I am in the way to full check the ram memories

amdmatt

What is the make and model of the memory? It should have it written on the sticks.

Please navigate to the System Bios > Advanced > CPU Configuration and tell me what options it gives you.

I'm looking for an option called XMP. I am wondering if perhaps settings the correct XMP profile for your memory will resolve the issue.

Wondering what an XMP profile is?

XMP Memory Profiles as Fast As Possible - YouTube

fedegs

Havent find anything similar to XMP. I took some pictures of what you asked me

WP_20160304_16_25_22_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_28_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_36_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_16_15_48_Pro.jpg

amdmatt

What's under the JumperFree Configuration Menu?

According to the datasheet it does not appear to support XMP.

fedegs

Whats the jumperFree? Sorry, I am not that familiar with those terms

And what does it means it doesnt support XMP?

amdmatt

JumperFree is an option in the bios. I was going to try and check your settings and perhaps lower them to see if that resolves the issue.

XMP is a pre-defined set of timings set by the memory manufacturer which are guaranteed stable.

If you can post some screenshots of that JumperFree Config settings i will try and guide you.

fedegs

WP_20160304_17_43_27_Pro.jpgWP_20160304_17_43_50_Pro.jpg

This last picture is for showing the last option non seen in the previous picture

WP_20160304_17_44_00_Pro.jpg

And maybe this information could be useful. See, I manage to stop it from happening (or almost stop it because it hardy happens when doing so) its oppening firestorm viewer (a second life viewer), I just let it oppened and realiced that the BSOD almos not appear (I can stay a complete day witout BSOD) but I must find the sourse of the problem before it gets worse or damage other parts of my pc.

fedegs

Well, I have done what you told me, now I am going to try forcing the BSOD.

Which it have something strange i actually never get a BLUE screen, only the system freezes and had to hard reboot (I think its BSOD because once the PC restarted by its own and the event viewer said it was a BSOD)

I'll tell you what happend!

fedegs

I dont know for sure yet, but it seems to be working. I tried forcing the BSOD as hard as I could (playing full screen youtube videos which were the way the BSOD appear the most) but non freezing yet. I wont say it is fixed yet (but it highly seems so).
                                            I'll keep testing untill a week pass, by now I believe you are a genius.
                                            may I ask you how did you get to recomend me that? How does it affects my CPU or the BSOD? I need to know, I must know!!!!

techguy

It's a fairly well know fact that the power savings modes such as C6 and cool and quiet can cause stability issues on some mobos. In fact the first thing recommended by AOD when trying to OC is to disable C&Q and C6 because of their noted issues when pushing the envelop of a CPU.

amdmatt

Okay, that's great news!

I suspect the AMD Cool n Quiet was causing instability on your Motherboard, as it lowers the CPU frequency and voltage. Usually this does not cause problems, but it can on certain Motherboards. If you are feeling brave you could try enabling C6 Power Saving State, if problems return then you can simply disable it again.

Now, enjoy your system.

fedegs

But it started randomly, I have run my computer without BSOD for about 2 years, and I have never changed anything on MOBO configuration (in fact I have always used everything on default settings).
                                                  By the way, if it is finally fixed with the solution you gave me, will I be able to upgrade to win 10 normally? (cuz win 10 caused BSODs a very very lot)

techguy

I believe that it was amdmatt that suggested the BIOS changes.

It's important to understand that all electronic devices can change over time. You might have a situation where the DRAM or mobo has changed a tiny bit over time resulting in a electrical stability issue that didn't exist previously. Something as simple as removing the DRAM and re-installing it in the DIMM slots has fixed many a PC with issues. One PC repair tech I know puts a problem PC in the trunk of his car and allows it to bounce around a bit for a week and then removes and tests it again. Many times the problem is gone. Hopefully disabling C&Q and C6 fixes the problem.

fedegs

Well, it is not fixed. I just tried using windows media player and i got it back. I thought it was just random and tried 2 more times, and it happened the 2 times i re-tried the WMP. It got fixed at youtube (descktop and internet browser)

techguy

Obviously your PC is not playing nicely... <LOL>

You could try setting the CPU core voltage manually to see if that helps any. The same goes for the memory settings. Any time settings are in the "auto" mode they are subject to causing problems. We know that this problem is a recent one so any BIOS setting that you can properly manually set would eliminate some more possible issues. FYI- when you are in auto mode most mobos will show you the default vcore voltage. You may need to select the manual mode on some mobos for the default vcore to be displayed.

amdmatt

Can you try removing one of your memory sticks and try to make the BSOD occur again?

fedegs

TechGuy, I havent tried your solution yet. I'll tell both of you what happened after amdmatt solution was tested.

It seems, it really seems that one of my memory sticks is damaged somehow. Cuz I tried my memrys one at a time: How? Like this. First memory in slot 1 (no problems), memory 1 in slot 2 (no problems), memory 2 in slot 1 (BSOD), memory 2 ni slot 2 (BSOD). So... it seems to be the memory (i dont know what happened the first time I checked it).
                                                                So, after knowing this, do you have any suggestion? Like buying a new memory? Try in some way repairing it? Or anything?

Techguy you stil recomend me doing what you told me?

techguy

I'd run the system with one DIMM for awhile to see if everything is OK and if so switch DIMMs and test a bit more. DRAM can go bad and is difficult to confirm a problem with. That's why when I suspect a DRAM issue I run Memtest86+ for at least 12 hours because lots of defects don't show for whatever reason in just a few hours of testing. If you can confirm one DIMM is bad then you have the option of buying a matching DIMM if available or more than likely you'd be farther ahead to just buy a matched set of DIMMs in the total capacity you feel is needed. 8GB is usually all that most folks need unless they are doing video encoding, CAD or using some software that shows a significant improvement in performance with more than 8GB. The DRAM companies would like people to believe that everyone needs at least 16GB which is pure marketing nonsense as testing with real applications shows it's completely untrue. In addition some versions of Windows 7-8 only supports 8GB-16GB so don't buy more DRAM than your O/S will support as it would be essentially useless. Mixing of DDR3 RAM is suppose to be easy and foolproof but in reality with the many variations in DMM design and construction even two of the same DIMMs do not always run well together and might require slower timings and/or lower frequencies to eliminate errors.