32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 3:48 PM by mjohnson24@comcast.net

AMD 9590 best build

mjohnson24@comcast.net

Putting together a new build with specs below. Looking at the AMD 9590 but need to know whats the best water cooler to get along with a Radeon R9 or Geforce GTX 900 series. Im looking at the crosshair V formula Z board.

Crosshair V Formula Z Board

AMD 9590 CPU

Radeon R9 300 series or Geforce GTX 900 series In SLI or CrossFire X

32gb Gskill Ripjaw X

XFX 1200 watt PSU

full tower case either thermaltake, coolermaster or Azza

1tb ssd

3 - 4 + HDD 1tb - 3tb per

or anything else people can recommend. I just want to make sure the processor stays cool under heavy gaming but also when doing 3d animation design.

• Re: AMD 9590 best build
          black_zion

Corsair Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060016-WW - Amazon.com  is what I use, and it is fantastic, slightly outperforming the H110 due to design improvements according to reviews. As for a graphics card it will depend on what resolution you want to game at. A single 390X is good to 2560x1600. A single Fury Nano or Fury X is good to UHD.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mjohnson24@comcast.net

I'll have to check out the water cooler. Im new to watercoolers and I know the 9590 runs EXTREMELY HOT but i heard it is one of the best performing CPU's on the market so i want something to last i just dont want something thats gonna overheat cause i chose the wrong cooler and all and because im doing alot of gaming or 3d animation that uses my computer for hours and it overheat like i said. What about the H110i or H110i GTX? does it outperform those also?

As for graphics cards i was looking at going Crossfire or SLI if i do nvidia but this will be my first radeon card as i've always had an nvidia in the past so i thought i would try the other and do crossfire. I would like to try two 4gb or 8gb cards if thats doable since i will be looking at getting an XFX 1200w PSU also.

Any help is appreciated with any of this. I want to do this right and make sure it lasts a while and dont overheat or get close to danger zones.

Oh what case does people use normally for this? Full tower only and the most room and features like USB 3 etc and cable management with future expansion and be able to hold multiple vga cards and have room in it.

techguy

Just an FYI that no current AMD CPU requires liquid cooling. The reason I mention this is because when you add liquid cooling to a PC you are injecting a water leak liability that doesn't exist with a HSF. While many people falsely believe that liquid coolers cool better than quality tower HSFs, objective testing show that you need at least an H100 or better liquid cooler to equal the performance of the top HSFs. Cooling is typically the top priority for most folks using a powerful CPU but obviously cost, noise, reliability etc. is also important. When, not if a liquid cooler leaks, it can and has done considerable damage to the mobo and other hardware. This naturally results in expensive damage and possible lost data while being without your PC for perhaps weeks even if the cooler maker will reimburse you for the damage. It also doesn't mean the replacement cooler will be any more reliable as owner reports substantiate. It's worth reading forum threads at the liquid cooler makers website to see what issues their customers are having, especially re-occurring pump failures, leaks, etc.

FWIW, the larger tower fans do a fine job of cooling the FX-9000 series CPUs. The link below shows the top (10) HSFs for AMD CPUs (scroll down to the AMD section as coolers perform differently on AMD vs. Intel CPUs). Obviously the decision on what cooler to purchase/use is entirely up to you. I did however want to point out the serious leak liability issues that many people experience with liquid coolers because it's an expensive and frustrating experience for many, especially those who buy an H60 or similar size liquid cooler only to find it doesn't even properly cool an FX-8350 125w CPU under full load let alone an OC'd 8-core FX CPU.

Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com

Any of the top ~(5-6) tower HSFs listed should have no issues cooling your FX-9590 in a mid-sized PC case. There is no need what so ever for a full tower size PC case with any FX model CPU and a proper HSF. In fact the liquid coolers typically require that outside air be blown into the case for these coolers to provide sufficient cooling of the water flowing thru the radiators. Otherwise they can't cool the CPU properly by blowing the air inside the case outward as it should be done. Unfortunately blowing the hot air from the radiators into the PC case causes high turbulence and increased heat for the HDD/SDD, mobo, CPU, GPU, etc. which can shorten their lifespan. You will also find that liquid coolers require high pressure/high speed fans to provide sufficient airflow thru the radiators. Some people find the OE fans so annoying that they spend another $30+ to replace them with more quiet fans. There are obviously a lot of issues with liquid coolers to consider, especially their thermal efficiency. HSFs work so well and have so few issues that they are used on 99% of all consumer PCs- for good reason. Ultimately you need to determine what works for your purposes but at least now you know the full story on CLC/AIO liquid coolers..

black_zion

The FX 9000 series requires liquid cooling according to AMD themselves.

AMD FX™ 9000 Series Processor System Requirements

The AMD FX™ 9000 Series processors feature a 220 Watt TDP and have three unique requirements:

1) A robust CPU liquid cooling system. The Antec Kuhler H20 925, Cooler Master Nepton 120XL, and Corsair H80i are examples of products with sufficient cooling capacity.

2) A socket AM3+ motherboard that supports processors with a 220 Watt TDP. As of September 15, 2015, the compatible motherboard list is as follows:

3) Chassis exhaust fan mounted near the motherboard VRM components with at least 35CFM of air flow capacity 

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                      techguy

No the FX-9000 series CPUs DO NOT REQUIRE LIQUID COOLING. The recommendation by AMD that you reference is an aid to FX-9000 purchasers and it says to use a liquid cooler because the average FX-9000 series CPU purchaser and AMD themselves are not aware of what specific high end model tower HSFs can properly cool the FX-9000 series CPUs. THAT is precisely why I explained that No current AMD desktop FX CPU requires a liquid cooler. There are countless numbers of people running FX-9000 series CPUs without overheating issues using high end Tower HSF coolers. I have personally run an OC'd FX-8350 @ 4.7 GHz. (the exact same FX-9590 full load frequency), without any overheating while P95 stress testing for 25 hours at a time using an Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 tower cooler in a conventional mid-tower PC case.

The folks who maintain the AMD website are aware that they should have also posted some of the appropriate tower HSFs that can cool the FX-9000 series CPUs properly and they may be updating the recommendations accordingly.

amdmatt

At the time this KB was posted it was accurate, however I'll need to contact our product manager to check and see if there is an update to the requirements for cooling. I am aware that there are some third party air coolers that can support the higher TDP of the 9590, I'll update the thread when i have more information.

mjohnson24@comcast.net

Thanks amdmatt. Im really looking for the best cooler that will keep that amd 9590 cool under heavy loads and what kind of thermal paste should i use with it or would whatever is already on the cooler either air or liquid cooler do?

amdmatt

I use a Corsair H110i GT on my system to run a CPU and i run it overclocked at up to 4.9Ghz drawing around 250W-275W under heavy load.

It has a programmable LED which can really help style the theme of your build. Here is a picture of my 'Red Baron' 295x2 QuadFire build. I focused on a Red n Black theme and as you can see, i customised the H110i GT LED to match the colour scheme of the rig.

I never get tired of sharing this picture, so i apologise to anyone who has seen me post it here before.

DSCN1507.JPG

The H110i GT has three FAN settings; quiet, normal and performance mode. I replaced the stock fans with high quality Noctua Industrial 3,000 140MM RPM fans which offer improved cooling performance over the stock fans. I have connected them to my 4PIN motherboard headers and i control the fan speed via software called Asus AI Suite, this allows me to run the fans quietly while under 2D or light 3D load.

I recommend checking out somes official reviews. Here's a video review i found, but there are many more available.

mjohnson24@comcast.net

Guess this thread got bigger than expected. I really do appreciate everyones input and want to apologize for all the questions about equipment and all but i want my next one to have the 9590 and want to make sure its cooled correctly and stays cool and stable under heavy loads. As well as the best radeon cards that go with for crossfire or quad fire or whatever.

Sweet! I love the look. Im looking at going red and black my self. Il check out the H110i. Im wanting it to not only game but also do 3d stuff and i want it to cool or stay cool while rendering the 3d scenes.

and i may look at the same fans and check those out as well.

I see you got the 295 VGA cards that are liquid cooled. may i ask why those and not the fury x or fury nano?

I did notice the Crosshair V formula z board is listed on a previous thread above for 9590 support but the asus website doesnt say it is. I have the original Crosshair v formula but not the Z version. Thats the board im looking at.

Will the thermal paste that comes on the H110i work for the 9590 or should i get something else to replace whats on it?

mjohnson24@comcast.net

that fx-8350 is also only 125w CPU. The 9590 is 225w so it runs alot hotter. of course you can overclock the 8350 to match the frequency of the 9590 but again its also 100w's less. and personally i would rather have something like that run with a liquid cooler than take a chance on it burning up or melting something cause it got too hot. I will be spending too much money on my new build to take that chance. Id rather be safe than sorry. id go with @black_zion

black_zion

The only air cooler I'm aware of with a 220w capacity is the Cooler Master V8 GTS - High Performance CPU Cooler with Horizontal Vapor Chamber and 8 Heatpipes - Newegg.com  and that costs more than a Corsair H80i ($90 vs Corsair H80i GT for $88, and the H105 is $104), but without the benefits of silence, and, being pure air, it is much more dependent upon ambient air temperatures than liquid. Liquid coolers are also not picky at all about your choice of TIM, so you can use the stock stuff instead of top of the range IC Diamond.

On another note, I was looking at your choice of multiple HDDs, presumably for music or videos. Have you considered a NAS instead? WD and Synology make very affordable, high capacity NAS options.

mjohnson24@comcast.net

yea i like the new V8's but with a 220w CPU id rather do something like a liquid cooler. It will keep it cooler just like a radiator keeps a cars engine cooler and not overheat. Just my preference. Yea i will be doing NAS in the future but only to store photos from my photography as well as other projects after they are finalized. But thats gonna take some work cause i want to do it a certain way. The internal drives are for apps and storage of stuff like apps i download and plus i rip to back up to an ISO etc. theres alot of orginization i gotta do on that. Yea i like synology cause we use that at work.

techguy

There is some misunderstanding on liquid cooler operation here. They do not perform like an automotive cooling system. The liquid used in CPU coolers is only used to transport the heat to the radiators where fans cool the water. In an auto the coolant actually flows internally to cool the  engine. HSFs are far more thermally efficient compared to liquid coolers because HSFs absorb the heat from the CPU lid and then it is immediately dissipated by the fan blowing over the HSF cooling fins. In addition the high end tower coolers use phase change cooling for additional thermal capacity. The nice part about HSFs are that they are reliable. Even if a fan failed the HSF would still provide significant cooling unlike a seized water pump or failed radiator fan on a liquid cooled system. Some folks who desire ultra quiet PCs use the tower coolers without a fan for passive cooling. Your can't get any more quiet than a fanless heatsink.

BTW, I understand that you want to use a liquid cooler. I wanted you to understand how liquid coolers actually work because the CPU is actually cooled by fans just like in a HSF cooler. The liquid in a AIO/CLC just carries the heat to a radiator instead of the heat being immediately removed by the copper plate resting on top of the CPU with a HSF. Thus you miss out on the true benefits of liquid cooling with an AIO/CLC compared to an automobile cooling system. That's why HSFs are more thermally efficient.

techguy

Actually the FX-9000 series CPUs are just factory overclocked FX-8350 CPUs thus the increased voltage to run the FX-8350 CPU at 4.7+ GHz. is the same as the FX-9590 requires to run at 4.7 GHz. That means the watts required/consumed are also the same at 4.7 GHz. operation for both CPUs. That's precisely why I pointed out the fact that numerous tower style HSFs will properly cool any FX-9000 series CPU. I also mentioned the Xigmatek Aegir HSF because it has properly cooled overclocked CPUs up to 340w. So to be clear, the top five or six AMD tower style HSFs (and possibly more), are as capable or more capable than the H100 series type liquid coolers as proven in independent testing and fully capable of cooling any FX-9000 series CPU. Nothing is going to burn up or melt with the top Tower HSFs. My OC'd FX-8350 draws the same 220w @ 4.7 GHZ. as your FX-9590 because they are the same silicon.

It matters not to me what cooler you use but since you are using this PC for work I wanted you to be aware of the known, real liabilities with AIO/CLC liquid cooler because most people are unaware of the numerous serious operational issues with liquid coolers until they experience an unfortunate problem. Lost data or lost use of their PC for several weeks might be a serious issue for some folks that use their PC for work.

FWIW the Cooler Master V8 GTS with vapor chamber isn't even in the top (10) AMD HSF tower coolers which substantiates that the top coolers have more than 220w cooling capacity and are capable of cooling any FX-9000 series CPU.

I always recommend that people buy whatever product makes them happy. The information provided is for informational purposes only so PC enthusiasts know the facts before they make a purchase. This way there are no surprises after they install a product and find it doesn't perform as they expected or it causes system damage. My posts on the AMD forum are intended to inform  not only the OP of a thread but all who read the thread.

qbtheslayer

It's an oldie, but I have yet to see a better case than the HAF 932 for amazing air flow (HAF=High Air Flow).

As for paste...  I removed the TIM from my H80i and replaced it with MX-4, it's cheap, easy to apply and works like a charm.

QB