AnsweredAssumed Answered

Arma 3 bad performance AMD Crimson and/or Catalyst drivers

Question asked by the_mard on Mar 2, 2016
Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 by desigabri

Heyyo,

I think AMD need to fix their driver for ArmA 3... the performance is all over the place. It doesn't matter if I set my settings to low or ultra, I get terrible framerate as soon as more than four infantry appear on my screen. I've also noticed the game rarely clocks up my MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G above 700MHz so I've even tried Radeon Pro to set it to always run at maximum clock speeds on the core and memory to see if that fixed it... it only helped a bit but the framerate issues remain for the most part.

Example pictures:

http://imgur.com/fmvvcxz

and

http://imgur.com/USlHAOj

Notice my terrible GPU usage. The game constantly flops anywhere from 0% to 100%... it tends to hover around 20% and 70% for most of the time.

I've found that lowering terrain to standard quality and overall rendering distance to 2000 helps... but still, with more than four infantry? My framerate plummets to 35fps and tends to stay there...

My hardware specifications:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.40GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

16.0GB (4x4GB) Kingston Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2133MHz (11-12-11-30 @ 1.65V)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD7-B3 (Socket 1155 BIOS F11a)

ASUS VE278 27" LCD (1920x1080@60Hz via DisplayPort with RGB full)

MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G (OC 1120MHz core, 1550MHz mem & +10% power)

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCI-E

Visiontek's Bigfoot Network Killer 2100 PCI-E Network Interface Card

Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W 80+ Gold Power Supply

[Update 1]

Hmm no response and pushed to second page of drivers & software... well dang. I guess this is what I get for buying a Bohemia Interactive game... always unoptimized. ArmA and even their older Operation Flashpoint series have been known to run like poo but I honestly though since ArmA 3 came out in 2013 that by now it would be optimized... severely mistaken am I.

To anyone reading this thread? Don't buy ArmA 3 if you expect it to look and run anything close to Battlefield 4. Heck, performance in ArmA 3 is comparable to Battlefield 4 beta! It's that bad.

Outcomes