15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2016 4:54 AM by desigabri

Arma 3 bad performance AMD Crimson and/or Catalyst drivers

the_mard

Heyyo,

I think AMD need to fix their driver for ArmA 3... the performance is all over the place. It doesn't matter if I set my settings to low or ultra, I get terrible framerate as soon as more than four infantry appear on my screen. I've also noticed the game rarely clocks up my MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G above 700MHz so I've even tried Radeon Pro to set it to always run at maximum clock speeds on the core and memory to see if that fixed it... it only helped a bit but the framerate issues remain for the most part.

Example pictures:

http://imgur.com/fmvvcxz

and

http://imgur.com/USlHAOj

Notice my terrible GPU usage. The game constantly flops anywhere from 0% to 100%... it tends to hover around 20% and 70% for most of the time.

I've found that lowering terrain to standard quality and overall rendering distance to 2000 helps... but still, with more than four infantry? My framerate plummets to 35fps and tends to stay there...

My hardware specifications:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.40GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

16.0GB (4x4GB) Kingston Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2133MHz (11-12-11-30 @ 1.65V)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68X-UD7-B3 (Socket 1155 BIOS F11a)

ASUS VE278 27" LCD (1920x1080@60Hz via DisplayPort with RGB full)

MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G (OC 1120MHz core, 1550MHz mem & +10% power)

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCI-E

Visiontek's Bigfoot Network Killer 2100 PCI-E Network Interface Card

Thermaltake PS-TPD-0850MPCGUS-1 850W 80+ Gold Power Supply

[Update 1]

Hmm no response and pushed to second page of drivers & software... well dang. I guess this is what I get for buying a Bohemia Interactive game... always unoptimized. ArmA and even their older Operation Flashpoint series have been known to run like poo but I honestly though since ArmA 3 came out in 2013 that by now it would be optimized... severely mistaken am I.

To anyone reading this thread? Don't buy ArmA 3 if you expect it to look and run anything close to Battlefield 4. Heck, performance in ArmA 3 is comparable to Battlefield 4 beta! It's that bad.

• Re: Arma 3 bad performance AMD Crimson and/or Catalyst drivers
          amdmatt

This is a known issue, we hope to have a fix soon.

Known Issue: Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption

As a temporary workaround, you may try using either Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta or Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL.

the_mard

Heyyo,

Thanks for the update on the clock speeds amdmatt! That is better news but to be honest I don't think it's just clock speeds that is the issue here since I did mention I use Radeon Pro to force it to always run at highest clock speeds so I shouldn't have choppy performance due to that.

I've tried the 15.11.1 drivers sorry I should have included that in my post and it does the same thing with not hitting my maximum clock speeds and I had to use Radeon Pro to force top clock speeds and the GPU usage is still never consistent so I'm unsure if it is a driver issue or ArmA 3 issue where my GPU usage is not consistent and my framerate constantly drops... I suspect it is more of a game engine issue though but was hoping maybe I missed a workaround for it since this game did come out in 2013.

This is my first venture with an AMD discrete GPU (the closest thing was the ATi x850 Pro back in the day) and I must say I do enjoy my MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G and the Crimson drivers are definitely an improvement to the old Catalyst drivers. I can definitely see the improvement in driver quality overall since ArmA 3 is the only game thus far I've had troubles with but it is isolated from other games for framerate issues I cannot resolve.

The only other games I had issues with clock speeds were Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, Tom Clancy's and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare. In those titles though Radeon Pro forcing maximum clock speeds fixed my framerate issues.

dayraven

It is Mid July and I am having issues with Arma 3, my max framerate is 22-28 with my average being 15-18.  I have noticed that this post was originally placed in March.  Has there been a fix introduced?  I currently have the most recent drivers:

Radeon Settings Version - 2016.0708.1511.25486

Driver Packaging Version - 15.30.1025.1001-151129b-297237E

Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1558

Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.1197

OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13441

OpenCL™ Version - 2.0.6.0

AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.123

AMD Mantle API Version - 98309

AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.0.3

Vulkan Driver Version - 1.2.0

Vulkan API Version - 1.0.17

I can only play Arma with 1 Card active.  I cannot use Crossfire or I get the following on my screen:

D2F76AC27649BBDC69004C728CCD618D8981C549 (1920×1080)

My System Specs are:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/15/2016, 10:42:52

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160630-1736)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

BIOS: P3.70

Processor: AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 31660MB RAM

Page File: 4558MB used, 31955MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode

I have also set the following launch parameters for Arma 3:

-nosplash -world=empty -skipIntro -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=3496 -cpuCount=4 -malloc=system

My Graphics info are as follows:

(Integrated)

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Device ID - 130F

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 130F

SubSystem Vendor ID - 1849

Revision ID - D6

Bus Type - PCI

Current Bus Settings - PCI

BIOS Version - 015.041.000.002

BIOS Part Number - 113-SPEC-102

BIOS Date - 2014/02/03 12:14

Memory Size - 1024 MB

Memory Type - DDR3

Memory Clock - 800 MHz

Core Clock - 758 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 25 GByte/s

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0002

(External Pair of9  R380s)

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series

Device ID - 6938

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 2350

SubSystem Vendor ID - 148C

Revision ID - F1

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.049.000.010

BIOS Part Number - 113-C7840400-R28F

BIOS Date - 2015/12/17 02:17

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1425 MHz

Core Clock - 1002 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 182 GByte/s

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001

I would really like some resolution on this.  I try to cover everything before I post things.  Any help is appreciated.  I feel like I should be able to play the game at or near max settings with a solid fps rate, but it simply isn't the case and I get these results regardless of how high or low I set them.  Only slight increases around 4-5 fps if anything.

Thanks.

Dayraven

amdpete

Are you sure you aren't using the onboard graphics for that game instead of the R9 380 GPUs?

For the record I am getting around 70fps at 4K resolution with 2x RX 480 Ultra settings except MSAA which is set to off.

dayraven

Yes, I am sure.  What driver set are you running?  I will show my settings and my activity.  Both cards show activity but they aren't consistent.  They pop from zero to 20% to 97% to 100% back to zero.

Card 1 While running Arma 3 Apex with activity going on.  I snapped these all within a few seconds of each other.

Card 2 While running Arma 3 Apex with activity going on:

This is with my screen looking like this:

161B8B36E86C78F88667EBBA951A309FA07C96AD (1920×1080)

After adjusting the settings a little, some of the fuzziness went away but the sky was flashing and and there was still some distortion.  However the FPS were an abysmal 14.

76B4A8A4A63FD877DDD0DFF9701F98E52FED4585 (1920×1080)

735F2DC202BC2CA0FB47415B9432C8D90457EDCF (1920×1080)

Just not quite sure what to do.  For the purpose of this, I removed all launch parameters for Arma 3 because I wanted a pure look, however, changing launch parameters has had no effect on performance for me, at all.

Here is what my settings look like:

Those are both under my Arma 3 profile.  What I am curious about is this.  Could it be possible that the integrated R7 graphics are interfering with the R9 380 Crossfiring.  When I enable Crossfire, does it try to draw from all 3 or just 2?  I can't watch activity from the R7 graphics, just my two R9 380, which are getting activity but it's sporadic.  Needless to say, something is definitely wrong.  I have also tried just simply reseating my cards to see if something was up.  I'm honestly at a loss for why this is happening.

If anyone knows of a stable Driver set, please let me know.  Any and all help is appreciated.

Dayraven

amdpete

Disable the onboard GPU.  Normally games will run on the first detected GPU unless they have the option to choose which ARMA 3 doesn't.  Also you can't use the Overdrive settings to verify performance while running a game full screen.  You should be using something like MSI Afterburner and setting the OSD options for GPU usage etc.

dayraven

I disabled my R7 inboard graphics and just used the R9 380s while Crossfired.  Still only getting about 20 frames per second.  I was monitoring using Afterburner and in Windowed FullScreen.  Both GPUs were being used and all 4 of my CPUs were being used.  No clue where to go from here.

dayraven

I decided to benchmark my computer using Unigen Heaven.  Here are my results:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:

Score:

Min FPS:

Max FPS:

System

Platform:

Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit

CPU model:

AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (3593MHz) x2

GPU model:

AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics 15.300.1025.1001/AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series 15.300.1025.1001/AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series 15.300.1025.1001 (4095MB) x1

Settings

Render:

Direct3D11

Mode:

1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen

Preset

Custom

Quality

Ultra

Tessellation:

Extreme