41 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 11:29 AM by larryb

Driver Crash - Far Cry Primal

acpopescu

Hello!

I'm getting constant and reproductible driver hangs on the latest version - 16.2.1 on my Radeon R9 380 Series, with 4GB VRAM on Windows 10 x64 in a easy to repro way. Sometimes the system recovers, sometimes not

Basically when you're up north, near a fire there's a high chance the GPU will hang, even on the lowest graphical settings.

Anyway, I've posted this here since I did manage to get some dumps and a big manual dump for when the game froze, and I hope I can identify what went wrong and why the driver crashed. I'd expect the app to crash if it did something bad

I've attached the dump and the DX DIAG file and an older dump created by the watchdog when it reboots the driver.

The manual triggered crash is accesible here: http://1drv.ms/1TSsRlZ

Thanks,

Adrian.

• Re: Driver Crash - Far Cry Primal
          shevarash

Same here, have a R9 380 and I just can't take two steps around the snowy regions, the driver will stop responding and I've tried everything to fix it to no avail, I am on Windows 7. I have seen other people on Ubisoft's forums with the same card and the same problem as well.

lbeaton1@gmail.com

acpopescu wrote:

Hello!

I'm getting constant and reproductible driver hangs on the latest version - 16.2.1 on my Radeon R9 380 Series, with 4GB VRAM on Windows 10 x64 in a easy to repro way. Sometimes the system recovers, sometimes not

Basically when you're up north, near a fire there's a high chance the GPU will hang, even on the lowest graphical settings.

Anyway, I've posted this here since I did manage to get some dumps and a big manual dump for when the game froze, and I hope I can identify what went wrong and why the driver crashed. I'd expect the app to crash if it did something bad

I've attached the dump and the DX DIAG file and an older dump created by the watchdog when it reboots the driver.

The manual triggered crash is accesible here: http://1drv.ms/1TSsRlZ

Thanks,

Adrian.

I am having exactly this problem as well, and my setup is the same as Adrian's: Radeon R9 380 series, 4GB VRAM, Windows 10 x64, 64-bit OS. At first I thought it was random lockups, but discovered I could reproduce it easily every time I tried to approach the same bonfire that I was trying to capture, located in the north. Actually I'm glad to see others are having this problem, since I just installed the card this week and was worried it was defective.

I have tried several different solutions, driver versions, etc., including using the cleanup utility to make sure I got a completely clean install. Nothing helped. It happens with the most recent WHQL certified drivers (15.12?) as well as current beta drivers (16.2.1). The screen freezes for two seconds, then my monitor (TV actually) displays "No signal". I can't get anything to display again, so I have to power down and reboot. Windows Event Viewer always records "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered" (though apparently the card still doesn't send out an HDMI signal). MSI Afterburner also consistently recorded the same results during my testing.

Adding my voice to the chorus: Please fix! Thanks.

Lorne

kwikasacat

exactly same issue here, happens in either the snow area or the brownish area. guaranteed crash if i go near a fire but sometimes its jus random with no fire in sight..  still no fix

r9 380 2gb windows 7 crimson 16.2.1.

gpu stops responding leading to black screen. i can end task on task manager but the exe process will stay active forcing me to end that b4 trying again. crashes EVERY TIME making the game unplayable. other than that the game runs very nicely with 50+fps most of the time

john007

I remember with Farcry 3 I had a similar problem. The solution was to bump up the voltage +15mV.

Dunia engine needs a lot of volts and this is Dunia 2 I believe.

gloom6

I'm experiencing the same issue. Game ran extremely smooth up until the point I got to a more northern part of the map, now it crashes after at most 15 minutes.
                  Display driver crashes (computer keeps running, sound still playing normally). R9 380 card with 4GB (asus strix), using  15.12 driver.

I've started a new game just to make sure, issue doesn't occur then.

kwikasacat

still not even an acknowledgement of the problem from amd

crimescene

Ir's possible that no one have a reply?

AMD where are you?

You can just say "ehi, game it's bugged, we work for a possible solution"

But nothing

mysterymeat

I don't have FarCry: Primal, but I do have Fallout 4.

In Fallout 4 there is a disturbingly similar issue with the R9 380 cards, that when it rains in game, display driver crashes / black screens follow.  Much like here, the developers and AMD are completely silent on the issue as well, which as time goes on (in the case of Fallout 4 we're coming up on 6 months of this issue) I'm starting to float the idea that this isn't just a game or driver bug, but an actual hardware problem with the 380s.  Why else would you get nothing but silence for a problem that is clearly (a) incredibly specific to a very certain graphics card (b) very, very easy to reproduce in a couple of games.

Personally I'm giving it another couple of months of patches/drivers to see if this issue gets resolved or even acknowledged officially, but if not it will be a case of RMA'ing and refunding for a GTX 960 or something.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          goodplay
                          1 of 2 people found this helpful
                              kwikasacat

no, we did all that in the 20 report tickets weve all sent. and i didnt get any responce from them either.

anyway, when its pretty clear from the hundreds of other posts here and on ubi forums that we all have the same or same variants of gpu., its not worth telling them what bloody monitor we may be using..

lbeaton1@gmail.com

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6200 Six-Core Processor @ 3.80 GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series (MSI Armor 2X, 4GB)

RAM: 16GB

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Display device: Generic PnP monitor (Dynex 46-inch 1920x1080 TV connected through Denon receiver via HDMI)

Driver version installed: Latest 16.3 Crimson

nimgarthiel

GPU: R9 285 XFX DD 2GB   

CPU: i5 6600k 3.5ghz

RAM: 8gb DDR4 2666MHZ

Motherboard: Asus Z170-P

Driver version installed: 16.3

Display devices: (cant remember monitor model) but it's an LG full HD ready no HDMI entrance, connect through VGA with a DVI adapter. refresh rate:60hz

Power supply: NOX (can't remember model name) 750W

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I'm one of the many players having 100% crashes followed by a no signal black screen in the northern part of the map.

kwikasacat

well ive spent the last 5-6 days searching forums on this matter and what ive found is that firstly, farcry primal is not the only game with this issue (fallout 4, cities skyline, csgo, black ops 3, gta 5 and more). secondly, its not just games that have this issue, video playback can also crash the pc. I tried and confirmed this last night when my pc black screened TWICE while trying to watch a movie, both times forcing me to restart my pc (farcry crash only forces me to kill the process but the pc is still alive) some reports unity engine black screening and for some unlucky ppl they black screen when trying to log into windows!! and thirdly the 1 constant theme across all of these problems is the gpu and the fact amd wont aknowlegde a problem. not 1 thread ive seen has any dev said they are aware of or trying to fix this. so with all that being said, im putting my 7850 back in till this **** storm blows over. i'll give em another week then im RMA'ing this steamer

crimescene

I've tried everything, some times i can push ctrl+alt+can and return to windows with message "driver stop responding and it's recovered", i've also try to put everithing on low setting and lowest resolution, still black screen.

Also it's not only game has this issue, even batman ak and fallout 4 had black screen and crash drivers in some random situation.

No one had a solution, no one help us

kuwabara

Same problem here.I have the r9 380 card.win 10 64-bit PRO .First encountered in Fallout 4. Looks like several people have the exact same issues with other games too. (GTAV,FFXIV,Far Cry Primal, Call od Duty , CS:Go ) .Always 285/380(Tonga) Other games are working great for me(Rift, Witcher 3, Borderlands2).The list of  games with this issue is getting longer and longer each month .

different links to forums i have found :https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3v5120/r9285_randomly_crashing_black_screen_driver_crash/

Far Cry Primal Hard Freeze randomly causing me to hard reset PC | Forums - Page 21

MSI R9 380 PC crash on intense gaming.

Monitors power off during DX11 games requiring hard reset - W10/R9 285/Crimson

and several more .

For now iam testing the 15.11.1 CCC beta drivers (all the crimson drivers are crashing). So far looks promising , but the driver is several months old , and the crash is sporadicall .The only game i know where the crash is 100% is far cry primal in the snowy area, but i dont own this game.

havent found any answer from AMD anywhere or some working solution(15.11.1 driver still testing ,as the issue is sporadicall) . Dont even know if they are working on a solution , or they dont know that such a problem exists  ,or if they just dont give a **** . Anyway it looks like the problem is still not fixed after several months .

Oh the only thing i didnt try is to bump up the voltage . Dont wanna fry my card ,just because of some stupid driver bug.

edit : tested also 16.3 with the power option on /off . Both the same .Old video driver was always uninstaled in Safe mode using DDU.

crimescene

I'm really sorry, but if there's no fast respone i decide to RMA my card and don't by AMD anymore, just days and days to find an answer but no response. I built my new pc on December, Pc works fine in bench and in some games, but i cant' play my favorite games becasuse screen go off randomly in some games.

I wont my money back and pass to Nvidia forever

kwikasacat
                                            Re: Did they fix the black screen with GTA V

amdmatt Terahertz

We are investigating reports of crashing with R9 380 cards on Farcry Primal, so this could be related.

diablodan77

after ubisoft patch for far cry primal, the game yet crash in the snow zone,please amd resolve this issue.

crimescene

I'm really disappointed for this, there's months we try to had a solution but no one had.

Some games run flawless fallout 4 and others crash with black screen and force to reboot. We don't want to RMA the card but if there's no fast solution we have to

lbeaton1@gmail.com

Welp, I have returned my R9 380 and the game now runs crash-free on my shiny new EVGA GeForce FX 970 4GB card. Best of luck, everyone.

klima89

Hi,

AMD pls fix this. I can not finish the game due to a black screen in the northern part of the map. My card is r9 380

klima89

After installing the 16.3.1 drivers ,black screen issue has been resolved in far cry primal

Thx AMD

pharbon80

Hi, For those who are still having issues with this. heres my 2 cents.

speaking to Gigabyte (i have the G1 Gaming R9 380 4GB) there is nothing wrong with the card, this is a driver and game compatibility issue.

constant crashing in Far cry Primal, no play in windowed mode. no crashes. its not a DX11 issue as othe DX11 games dont crash.

Ubisoft are renowned for 'Porting' games to PC...Badly. Then sneakily updating with no public announcment. even Gigabyte know of the issues.

Play in Windowed mode this should stop the crashes, having some monitoring software in background is also beneficial. whether your system is overclocked or underclocked wont make any differecne, this is not a power issue, this is a texture, tesselation issue within the game engine.

The R380 is a good mid/high range card, i play loads of other games some more demanding than Far Cry. It is a new game, new games always have issues, this is the trade off of PC Gaming.

crimescene

THANKS AMD driver 16.3.1 solve the problem yessssssss

We are very happy and say thank's for solve the problem .......

alleluya

john007

Why would anyone play this money grab piece of ****

kingfish

If you are having a problem with your graphics card or a particular game...Please report it to AMD. Keep in mind that the more reports sent to the Catalyst engineers, the more attention paid. This is the only way things get fixed. Note that all issues must be reproducible (this is why specific information is required), and submitting a "Issue Report" is not a invitation to a dialog with AMD. Don't expect a reply. Just report it and encourage others to do the same.

www.amd.com/report