5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2018 7:54 PM by neshvorontsovco-founderofenb.dll

Switchable Graphics -- Can't make chrome.exe run in "High Performance" (i.e. on AMD GPU, instead of Intel integrated graphics)

switcher

Hello all,

First, some specs:

• I'm using HP Laptop (2011)
      • It has Dynamic/Fixed graphics card option in BIOS
      • Windows 7
      • AMD Radeon HD 6770M
      • Intel HD Graphics 3000 (Intel i7-2720QM)

I'm using the Leshcatlabs Catalyst_15.11_Beta_UnifL_v1.0 drivers bundle and I'm unable to switch Google Chrome to use AMD GPU.

I have set the "Plugged In" power to "Maximize Performance" and set chrome.exe to "High Performance". Attaching screenshots of AMD CCC, so that you could see for yourself what I have set. As you can see on the very last screenshot, the Monitor thingy shows that Chrome runs in "Power Saving" mode.

Chrome has "Use hardware acceleration when available" option set.

My laptop is plugged in all the time. I have tried chaining Dynamic mode to Fixed in the laptop BIOS, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

The same thing is true for the very latest official AMD drivers, I have tried them before trying Leshcatlabs driver bundle.

It's not only Google Chrome, I have the same issue with Firefox -- it won't run in High Performance too.

• Re: Switchable Graphics -- Can't make chrome.exe run in "High Performance" (i.e. on AMD GPU, instead of Intel integrated graphics)
          amdmatt

This is expected behaviour on official AMD drivers. It's not possible to use the discrete GPU to run on certain applications such as web browsers.

• Re: Switchable Graphics -- Can't make chrome.exe run in "High Performance" (i.e. on AMD GPU, instead of Intel integrated graphics)
              switcher

Thanks for the reply, amdmatt!

kingfish has said that Leshcat

unlocks all applications

not sure if it's still true for 15.11 version of their drive bundle, but I had some hope.

It's not possible to use the discrete GPU to run on certain applications such as web browsers.

Well, that's funny. I have always been using older AMD drivers from 2011 which had the Fixed Mode switching (e.g. you can switch between Intel/AMD for entire system, not on per application basis) and Chrome was using about 15% of CPU when watching twitch.tv live streams while using AMD graphics, but ever since I got my graphics card replaced on the same exact model it was before (my previous graphics card has died), my system freezes with any drivers that support Fixed Mode switching, letting me only use the latest drivers which have removed the Fixed Mode support, which run Chrome in "Power Saving" mode (i.e. using Intel graphics instead of AMD), resulting in 50% CPU load, my laptop overheating like craze and its fan trying to rotate so fast that it sounds like a helicopter that is about to take off.

Would be nice to get confirmation from someone else from the community on whether it's possible to make Chrome run in "High Performance". If not, I'd need to start the whole complain with HP about their repairs of my graphics card, because the one new one doesn't seem to support older AMD drivers, only newer ones, which results in worse performance when browsing, and I don't want to start that complain without a confirmation.

aap

It's not true that AMD discrete GPU can't run web browsers.

For the past 5 years on Windows 7, I've been able to switch Chrome and IE between power saving and high performance.

Last month I installed W10 on my HP DV6-6000, and was able to switch Chrome and IE in CCC.  But for some reason now I can not anymore... But I know I could before.

neshvorontsovco-founderofenb.dll

Any application in AMD panel that is forced to power save   find in place folder that was installed  and just add _32  or _64  and  save and now you can use discrete GPU  not only APU  or integrated  like combination Intel CPU with Intel  GPU  and discrete AMD  now you can use  discrete GPU AMD , OK  it will look like this  explanation  Read below

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe    rename  to (in this case i have Mozilla installed in program files not in program files (x86) even this is Mozilla v.51.0.1.6234  32 bit i install all Applications  in 64 bit folder , now just rename to   C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox_32.exe   and save And go to  Amd control panel  switchable application profiles AND NOW you can  have Power Save   than High Performance  than Not Assigned  and Based on Power Source Option Unlocked  if you have Notebook  and this also is for normal desktop PC with Windows Any Windows version  from Win Xp  to Win 10.1+

also this y with _32   AND _64  you can add to any application that is Locked BY AMD DRIVERS EVER  if you don't understand  contact me on my email  neshvorontsov@gmail.com

Nesh Vorontsov Co-Founder of Enb.dll Found in 2005th year from 2005-2007 signed by me   or  just   http://enbdev.com/download.htm    as now  my brother Boris Vorontsov 2007-2018 signed by Boris And he sign all DLL updates till date , And we Thank you all for using them as we made your life better with such simple file  Without asking for any money from people free for all  ... God Bless You All.