2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 1:45 AM by redant

Crimson 16.2, R9 380, tries to sleep but reawakens when monitors try to shut off

redant

Win10 pro; Intel Skylake; Gigabyte Z170x gaming 7; ASUS R9 380. Two HP widescreen displays connected via DVI cables.

Crimson 16.2 hotfix software and drivers.

Original Win10 installation, not an upgrade.

When Windows decides it's time to sleep, it shuts off the displays.

Then instead of sleeping, the system beeps indefinitely, about every 15 seconds.

It does reawaken to a mouse click, but the trash can has been moved.

And if the Windows stickynote app was open on 2nd display, it moves stickynote to primary display.

So system seems to think the 2nd display has been turned off, as opposed to "sleeping".

This system worked fine with motherboard graphics and 2 monitors.

Strangely, manually putting the system to sleep from the power menu does not cause this problem.

Any clues would be much appreciated, thanks very much.

• Re: Crimson 16.2, R9 380, tries to sleep but reawakens when monitors try to shut off
          amdmatt

Thanks for the post.

Please try the following.

• Uninstall Crimson 16.2 and restart your system.
          • Disconnect the second display and proceed to install 16.2 and restart your system.
          • Once Windows has loaded, please connect the second display and use Windows Display Properties to configure your displays.

Does the same behaviour occur when you Windows puts the monitors to sleep? If it does, have you noticed this behaviour on older Crimson or Catalyst drivers?

• Re: Crimson 16.2, R9 380, tries to sleep but reawakens when monitors try to shut off
              redant

Thank you for responding. If I put the system to sleep manually, this

problem does not always occur; but it can start happening from the manual

sleep state if some non-human event wakes the system, for example if it

wakes to perform maintenance.

This was a clean install in a new system, so I have no idea what would have

happened with older drivers.

If I follow your recommendation to uninstall and reinstall, then after

uninstalling, won't I have to reinstall the standard mobo drivers? Or do

they get restored automagically by the uninstall process?  I ask because

connecting monitors to the R9 card when no drivers are installed does not

work - only can see the system by connecting a monitor to the mobo port.

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.