9 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2016 1:18 AM by seabiscuit68

Crimson driver problems

mdnght

Since the first release of crimson edition drivers I've had to rollback to old drivers as I have the same issue with every release.  The drivers install fine (I always use DDU in safe mode to remove old drivers before installing as well) but when I try to launch any game the screen goes black and the game crashes.  Their is no message that 'game.exe has stopped responding' just the program crashing and me getting sent back to desktop.  I've tried it in crossfire and without crossfire active and haven't been able to get any of the crimson releases to work.

System info:

i7 3820

GA-x79 UP4

4x4Gb

xfire Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X

Win 10 64bit

• Re: Crimson driver problems
          amdmatt

Does the system lock up when the black screen occurs? Are you able to navigate between fullscreen mode and windowed mode by pressing Alt+Enter?

mdnght

It doesn't lock up and it's occurred in games which I have set to launch in both fullscreen and fullscreen windowed.  Basically the screen goes black momentarily but instead of seeing the game menu/developer intros as you normally would after the momentary black screen it just returns to desktop. 

amdmatt

Are you running any overlay software in the background?

Are all games affected by the black screen?

What make and model monitor are you using and is it connected to the GPU?

What happens if you adjust the Windows resolution down to a much lower resolution and launch the game?

mdnght

Are you running any overlay software in the background?

Rainmeter which I have disabled before without any change in my issues.  Haven't tried disabling steam overlay.

Are all games affected by the black screen?

Yes.  I made sure to check every game I had installed.

What make and model monitor are you using and is it connected to the GPU?

Asus VG248qe and a generic korean 1440p.  Both are running Dual DVI (144Hz on first, 1440p on second).

What happens if you adjust the Windows resolution down to a much lower resolution and launch the game?

Haven't tried this.  Will try both this and disabling steam overlay later today and let you know what happens (as well as running one monitor and setting it to 60hz rather than 144hz).

mdnght

So I reinstalled using DDU and now only CSGO isn't launching.  Other games are working now (ones which weren't before) and other Source games work just fine.  Just CSGO won't launch.  Tried running it at lower res, no overlays and on a lower refresh rate to no avail.

EDIT:  Actually seems as though it's hit or miss.  Previously no games would even launch.  JC3, Hitman (new beta, only preloaded, but can get to menu), GTAV, HL1/2, CSS,  Black Mesa, and really every game I own except Payday 2 and CSGO won't launch now (funnily enough those are about the only 2 games I play).  I tried reinstalling CSGO and had no improvements.

EDIT2:  Made a vid of the problem: Dropbox - 2016-03-09-1806-43.flv

EDIT3:  Can get them to launch by disabling crossfire now.  Gotta give some feedback and say the crimson UI is horrible, took a minute to notice the additional settings on display tab.  But apparently the issue is with CSGO and Payday 2 if xfire is enabled.