13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 3:21 AM by iainob1

Crossfire options dissapearing from ccc options.

iainob1

Today all of the crossfire options from the ccc disappeared, I reset the system and they return but when changing the crossfire settings in a game profile the ccc then closes to desktop.

This is with the 15.7.1.

Was back using older drivers as all the Crimson drivers are causing issue with my r9 295x2 with clock fluctuations, stuttering and hitching and general poor stability. And that is all the Crimson drivers.

Going to try other releases things just don't seem to be working well with windows 10 and the amd graphics drivers at the moment. It may be something Microsoft is doing at the moment but it is really becoming a chore to keep anything to do with graphics working properly. Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 were fine.

Windows 10 latest build

r9 295x2

16gb ram

Maximus viii

I7 6700k 4.5 stable

• Re: Crossfire options dissapearing from ccc options.
          amdmatt

We're aware about the mentioned Crimson issues, apologies for the inconvenience caused. Working to resolve ASAP!

Have you tried Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta or Catalyst 15.7?

iainob1

The drivers 15.11.1 stop the crossfire options from disappearing from the ccc panel but do not stop the core clocks dropping down to 300mhz when crossfire is disabled. The fluctuations were there before Crimson for the r9 295x2 but it seems to only happen when crossfire is disabled in games not when set to default.

This happens in 15.11.1,     15.7,   15.7.1 and all of the Crimson drivers. I also find all of the Crimson drivers have a slight hitching/ freezing which the earlier drivers don't seem to do as much.

I don't want to have to go back to using windows 8 but all the troubles have been since windows 10, the card worked great on Windows 7, 8  and I was impressed with it as it stayed cool and had great performance in all games.

Now in Windows 10 all directx 9 games are poor with stutters and minor freezes and if I have to disable crossfire for a specific game I get the clock drops and fluctuations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                iainob1

I have just tested clock blocker with the 15.11.1 drivers and it stops the clocks dropping and fluctuating when crossfire is disabled.

Therefore the fluctuating clocks was and is defiantly there before the Crimson drivers were released.

amdmatt

The clock fluctuation should not occur on Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL.

iainob1

Matt the drivers 15.7.1 do have the fluctuating clocks when crossfire is disabled using my card. Ive tested many of the drivers now and they all do it.  Ihave tested each driver you suggested. Un installing properly each time.

It might be only on the dual pcb cards like the r9 295x2 but it defiantly happens when crossfire is disabled.

If I run clock blocker it stops it from doing it.

My card only downclocks and fluctuates when crossfire is disabled, maybe this is a different issue to the random downclocking others are seeing or it could be to do with single cards. Why does it not happen when I use crossfire and only when I have it disabled?

The card does not over heat as I have an extra fan on the radiator and the temps never go above 60c even at load.

If I leave crossfire set at default in gaming profiles then the clocks stay at full 1018mhz as soon as I set crossfire to disabled in a game profile the clocks are not stable on the one card and will drop down to 300mhz and fluctuate up and down.

Also the usage spikes up and down to 0 to 100 constantly even when crossfire is disabled. Again non of these issues happened in earlier windows.

Radeon pro had a function that would also make the clocks run at full when gaming, maybe this function could be looked at to include in your drivers and it may solve all the problems.

amdmatt

I was not able to reproduce the clock fluctuation on my 295x2 using Catalyst 15.7.1.

My recommendation would be to wait for a future Crimson driver in which we will resolve the issue. Appreciate your reports though, thank you.

iainob1

Hi Matt did you defiantly try with crossfire disabled in a game profile? 

iainob1

Also Matt if you have an r9 295x2 please try Skyrim if you have it as it runs badly on my card stutters and hitches constantly.

In fact all directx 9 games run badly everything else runs great.

Crossfire won't turn off for Skyrim too for some strange reason using profiles, with the new Crimson driver it uses both cards infact card 2 temp goes higher when card 2 normally turns off. When monitoring usage in skyrim it states the cards sit at 0 most of the time. and just has small spikes up.

I'm going to record a video of skyrim it is that bad. And that is vanilla game too no mods at all not even using skyrim hd packs

iainob1

In the latest Crimson driver crossfire does not turn off at all for any game profile, you change the setting to disabled but in game crossfire is still on and using both cards.

I am getting a bit sick of all this tweaking I am having to do just to play games on windows 10. These drivers are just not working non of them give a stable experience enough to be useable. I'm going to have to go back to windows 8 until the drivers work properly with windows 10.