27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2017 2:22 PM by sewerguru

There is no option to turn Overdrive off in Crimson Radeon Settings

krml

As title says, there is no option to turn overdrive off in AMD Radeon settings since Crimson update. It applies our overclock everytime when computer boot up and don't apply voltage increase like in MSI Afterburner, so computer keep giving black screen at startup. All we need is such a small check box like it was in Cataclyst Control Center. Because, it is ALWAYS ENABLED in new Crimson drivers. Tested on AMD Radeon 16.2 driver.

overdrivepic.jpeg

• Re: There is no option to turn Overdrive off in Crimson Radeon Settings
          waltc

The screenshot is of the Catalysts (not Crimson), and of a nVidia product, not an AMD GPU.

Try this, though:

1) Open Radeon Settings

2) select Gaming

3) select Global Settings/Global Overdrive tab

4) Hit Reset and Global Overdrive should be disabled

This method corresponds with the Catalyst way of doing it...However, Crimson allows you to actually set the overclocking or lack of overclocking on an individual basis for each and every game you have...which is much, much better, imo...

1) Open Radeon Settings

2) select Gaming

3) select the game for which you wish to disable overdrive

4) select the Profile Overdrive tab

5)select "reset" to disable overdrive just for that one game--or adjust it any way you like it for just that one game...

In most every case except for resolution switching, the Crimson GUI controls allow for a greater degree of fine tuning per game than was possible with the Catalysts...you just have to *look* at things and check them out, instead of looking for the exact same GUI control in the Crimsons that existed in the Catalysts...

1 of 4 people found this helpful
              krml

I know it is Catalysts and not Crimson, that was my point. There was a option before to enable or disable overdrive; and now it is gone.

"Reset settings to default" is not same as "disable overdrive". It may be a bug or something.

Whenever I change my MSI Afterburner settings, it changes AMD Radeon Crimson overdrive settings too, which is kinda OK. However Radeon application applies my overclock settings every single time at startup of Windows. Which is still OK. However it doesn't apply voltage increase like in MSI afterburner, so I keep getting black screen at startup of Windows. That is the real problem.

Profile per game is out of this problem, I can't use Radeon Overdrive to overclock my card already, since it doesn't have voltage increase option. MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TRIXX is a must for me.

amdmatt

Overdrive is disabled until you tick that box.

What graphics card are you using?

In Crimson 16.2 you have to unlock Overdrive before you can use it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      krml

My graphics card is Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x.

Yes in Crimson 16.2 we have to unlock Overdrive before we can use it; however, the problem (keeping overclocked values of MSI Afterburner and applying it without voltage increase at system startup, hence a black screen) still occurs even you didn't unlock Overdrive settings.

Before Crimson software, there was no such thing like that. At startup, clocks were always same as default stock clocks. Maybe we need an option like "Don't apply overclocked values at system startup". That would solve the problem.

amdmatt

So the issue only occurs when you use a third party application to apply overclock or overvoltage settings at boot?

Are you using Apply overclocking at system startup?

Have you tried using 2D/3D profile to apply the overclock instead?

krml

1) So the issue only occurs when you use a third party application to apply overclock or overvoltage settings at boot?

No, it also happens when you set your memory clock high in AMD Overdrive. Since Crimson drivers applies overclock at system startup, you keep getting black screen and there is no solution for now except uninstalling graphics drivers from computer in safe mode.

2) Are you using Apply overclocking at system startup?

No, this option is not checked in my MSI Afterburner.

3) Have you tried using 2D/3D profile to apply the overclock instead?

Yes, I have tried those profile options now. Sadly, there is no difference.

amdmatt

How high are you setting the memory overclock? Is this before your third party application has had chance to increase the voltage level to support this higher overclock?

When you set the memory overclock in Overdrive, are you able to restore it back to its default value?

krml

1) How high are you setting the memory overclock? Is this before your third party application has had chance to increase the voltage level to support this higher overclock?

I'm talking about a high clocks for memory like 1400mhz-1500mhz. It can't be achieved without voltage increase in my graphics card. That's the reason of black screens, I believe. I tried overclocking via AMD Overdrive after issues occured from third party application since it was my primary overclocking tool for gpu. Same results.

2) When you set the memory overclock in Overdrive, are you able to restore it back to its default value?

Until I get black screen, I can restore clocks back to default. There is no turn back if I get a black screen. Computer keep giving black screen right after loading Windows logo, and I have to force restart or shut down. Luckily, I still can use safe mod. In safe mod, Radeon settings program doesn't open since it can't detect my video card. The only way I found is unistalling drivers and program then install back again. It's frustrating.

What I don't understand is, applying overclocked values at system startup in new crimson software is a feature or a bug? Since there is no "apply values at startup" option or checkbox as in MSI Afterburner; I believe, that was something planned and default settings now for AMD Radeon software. Actually, it is good for people who use AMD Radeon settings for GPU overclocking. They don't have to reapply their overclocked profiles each time they turn on computer. However, once you enter a value which makes your card unstable, you are doomed like me. I wish I can use AMD Overdrive for GPU overclocking, but it has no voltage control options and it seems such an option will never be available in AMD softwares.

And I already know you from overclockers UK website Matt. It's good to see you again.

figsy69

This is wrong. "Resetting" will not disable overDrive, There is no way of disabling or tuning it in the new drivers. good job AMD. what a joke

nem0

Hi.

I've had my share of troubles too, as the amd global overdrive restores the latest oc settings during reboot, even if they were set by afterburner.

Thus the higher overclocks achieved by voltage substitution in afterburner, would blackscreen during restarts because amd overdrive doesn't supply the required voltages.

It can be solved by deleting/modifying the registry value in which the driver stores the current oc settings.

This can be done with the following command:

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 /v PP_EscapeInput /f

If this is done whenever the computer powers off the problem is solved.

To automate this process you can use the group policy manager (gpedit.msc) to define a logoff script (http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-run-a-script-or-command-at-logoff-in-windows-7-8).

Unfortunately this manager is only available in the pro editions of windows, but I guess there is some freeware that is up to the task, as the normal windows task sceduler doesn't work well with shutdown events.

Peace

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              kingfish

There are many reported issues using third party controllers with Crimson...namely Afterburner. I would delete any and all changes you have made.

aquavixen

I wanted to confirm that this is still an issue. I just recently acquired a used R9 290X aftermarket card from a friend of mine and I've been wracking my brain all day trying to find a solution to this. Finally I started googling only to realize I'm not alone.. and the ultimate answer is we can not use any form of software overclock with AMD Crimson now.. lovely.

The short of it is I installed the latest crimson drivers off the AMD website as of yesterday (16.8.1 - August 4th hotfix).

And to be clear I -DID NOT- touch the AMD OverDrive setting in Crimson control center. NEVER TOUCHED IT. Did not enable. Did not accept. Did not tick the box.

The -ONLY- thing I did was open Sapphire TRIXX and set the clocks I know are stable, set the voltage, applied a setting to load on start up, restore clocks on start up, and clicked save profiles button and rebooted.

Then I boot up and either have a black screen or display corruption that makes me think I'd fried my card some how. But after alllll day investigating I found the problem was that for some reason, something in the computer is applying the overclocked ram and core speed I set but -NOT- the voltage.

Okay so then I grabbed a spare hard drive and decided to test. I did a 100% vanilla-clean windows install for Win7x64. Then I installed the latest Crimson drivers, rebooted.. installed Sapphire TRIXX, applied clocks, rebooted, black screen and display corruption. Okay.. booted safe mode, uninstalled the card in device manager (But did not delete driver software check box), rebooted.. let windows find the card.. reboot again, and then it boots up with default clocks again.

The only software on the system is Radeon Crimson and TRIXX, nothing else. It absoultely has to be Crimson that's doing this. It's not resetting the video cards to stock speeds after a reboot.. but instead it's trying to apply our overclocked clocks and -NOT- applying voltage.

I don't know what to do.. this is terribly sad, upsetting, and I'm just MAD in general. I can't even load an overclock on start up because of this.. I have to manually down-clock it before rebooting every time to defaults or my system gets screwed up. And I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Instead of spending all day gaming and enjoying my new card I've instead had to waste more than half my day figuring out this BS.

Can we please get a fix for this? Crimson is applying overdrive without our permission, without asking us, and screwing up everything.

falkentyne

I have already DIRECTLY verified that this instruction DOES WORK, however the VARIABLE is wrong.  That variable may have been from the older CCC drivers.

REG DELETE HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000 /v PP_EscapeInput /f

The correct variable is PP_CNEscapeInput.

I Just tested this (just deleting this field in regedit manually), turned off the computer, rebooted to windows, and ALL of the clock values were set to complete defaults, including fan speed at 20% and power limit at 0%.  I then loaded up my overclock in MSI afterburner (1100 GPU, 1400 memory +25 VDDC, 50% power limit, 80% fan) and it came right up.  Note that this is just my settings; I don't get the black screen problem even with no voltage change, unless memory is at 1500.  This is on a R9 290x of course.

amdmatt:
                                    What we need is a CRIMSON driver setting that prevents loading of PP_CNEscapeInput on windows start.  This would fix EVERYONES problem.  That's all we need.  And it's rather simple to implement as long as people want to do the work and not brush it under the rug.

The old CCC drivers never automatically loaded overclocks like this.  In fact, Crimson is loading the overclocks set in that registry variable *before* the windows startup/login screen even appears (you can tell by when the manual fan override speed kicks in), so this is something entirely new to crimson, and it just causes problems for power users.

Overclocks should NEVER be automatically loaded without a 'power user' driver setting to enable it.   Can you even set voltages in Crimson anyway (on cards that don't support that new wattman thing?)

aquavixen

While I appericate your attempt to help us.. I tried this. I switched up to the new 16.xx crimson drivers via device manager and then applied a software overclock.. made a batch file with just like you said above and used the above post to run it as a log-off command via gpedit.msc for win7 and rebooted. Booted up, just like always with crimson drivers loaded.. black screen and won't load windows. Back to save mode and revert back to Catalyst again.. it's the only thing that works.

aquavixen

I wanted to add that while this is probably not a supported situation, I installed the latest catalyst driver as of november 4'th 2015, and been using that. Then later I extracted the crimson drivers from the current-day latest to a folder (where it extracts before we install the software). Then found the folder with the *.INF file in it, copied the folder and sub-folders to my other computer with the 290X in it, and manually "updated" driver in device manager. So then running with catalyst control center and software, but crimson physical drivers.

But this still persists. Even just loading the driver and not the actual Crimson control center.. it's still applying overclocks without voltage on reboot if I apply a software overclock. The problem some where some how is in the actual crimson drivers themselves. So maybe not necessarily the crimson control center software being the culprit. The other benefit of this odd configuration I have is I can manually click "update driver" and flip between crimson / catalyst in a few mouse clicks to try out / diagnose things.

Just thought I'd share with what I've come up with so far.

brainsalad97

My opinion:  The best way to actually do this is for the Crimson Drivers to "respect" 3rd-party modifications not only on GPU & memory clocks, but to all aspects of overclocking, including overvolting. This ensures that once the user lands that stable overclock they can keep those settings to boot up as your Crimson Drivers seem to do. It is illogical for you to let your Wattman do this only for the Polaris & probably Navi cards, but since you seem resistant on opening up Wattman to overclock older GCN cards is a marketing ploy. But since third-party OC software is more than capable of doing that for you, then let them. As usual, Wattman can "disable" Polaris-only features on the Wattman tab for older GCN cards (I have a 7850 Pitcairn, GCN 1.0), if you'll counter that with - it's not possible, too advanced or whatever)

Also, On Windows 10 x64 Anniv., the latest Crimson Beta drivers seem to get hacked during the alt-tab process when using browsers. Overclocked GPUs get reset by the browser (switching in and out of any game, DX11, DX12) and sometimes, dependending on the OC software (GPU Tweak or Afterburner), the voltage resets but the GPU & mem overclocks stay overclocked & properly go from 2D to 3D clocks & vice versa when browsing, resulting in hard crashes when you go back in game. Disabling hardware acceleration on said browser (Edge, IE11, Chrome, Firefox - I tried them all, yeah) stops them from resetting the OC. Usually the OC gets fixed (meaning your OC is properly set) when you restart.

It seems to be, that the legacy AMD Overdrive has been neglected - and will screw up 3rd - party OC. While GPU & Memory overclocks, including fan speeds & power limit is respected by Overdrive (since it can do it also), it won't allow the voltage to be modified the same way it modifies the rest. unlocking that volt OC aspect will prevent these voltage screw-ups your drivers do.

aquavixen

Regardless they need to do something. This is a terrible glaring bug of the new crimson drivers and makes amd cards completely unusable on crimson. Which is really sad, because I get roughly +15% game performance across the board with crimson, but I Can't use it with software-overclocked cards and I wish we could.

Question for you brainsalad97: Are you saying the newer amd cards support voltage OC and 3rd party OC software with crimson, but it's just older cards that do not? (I own a 290X).

brainsalad97

Voltage OC is supported depending on the board provided if it's placed by the 3rd party manufacturers (That's basic OC support to the more out-of-bounds type that allow greater control & limit) from GCN 1.0 to 4.0.

MSI Afterburner's latest BETA have settings basically addressing multiple voltage OC unlocking types (reference to 3rd party), and even to delete the Crimson Driver xml settings every OC edit you do - one of the culprits that causes your inability to log into Windows. Even the Rivatuner settings have been updated to be able to provide realtime FPS & video card monitoring for DX12 & showing it in-game (Although Vulkan, &/or Mantle isn't supported).

You'll notice AMD's built-in Overdrive doesn't provide voltage control (IN MY CASE, at least, I only have a 1.0 GCN card) - I know Wattman does. Wattman is only for the RX 400 Series, although they have stated that it replaces AMD's Overdrive. It seems to me, Crimson is broken due to it's inability to consider voltage OC/changes made by 3rd-party OC utilities USED ON pre- RX 400 series cards, or pre GCN 4.0 chipsets. This probably came about during the introduction of Wattman into the Crimson Suite. It worked previously with the Catalyst Suite, so it is the Crimson Drivers at fault here. The browsers resetting overclocks is another matter as well, as though the browsing or using GPU acceleration on non-traditional non/full screen applications is triggering some sort of failsafe because you know, reasons.

I believe the older cards can be OC'd w/ voltage support, but cannot work in conjunction with the way Wattman was made. It might be disabling it globally, or resetting the voltage OC for all non-Polaris cards for "safety", or that the OC method of the voltage was flagged as wrong/dangerous/incompatible & reset it because it thought the card is a Polaris, which is moot - since 3rd-party OC softwares provide safe limits to the OC. Wattman is built-in with Crimson Drivers, along with Overdrive, right? So three is a crowd.

sewerguru

Im having same issues only driver changes voltage to lower than stock. My card is asus 280x dcii top v2. Changes stock voltage of 1.220 to 1.084. Thinking going green tired of driver issues. Messing with voltages that manufacturer allows is totally unacceptable. Is AMD trying to hang themselves. Getting to point where I will never have anything to do with AMD and will spread the word on all the forums I can.