AnsweredAssumed Answered

What's my upgrade path from an R9 280 that preserves high double precision performance?

Question asked by teamred2016 on Feb 28, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 by hardcoregames™

Hi Everyone,

I've got a R9 280 and use it for both gaming and running DC projects like Seti@Home and World Community Grid. I'm struggling to find an upgrade to my card. It seems like AMD abandoned the Tahiti-like cards with great double precision performance. Outside of the latest FirePro cards (which are $1K+), I can't find any mainstream AMD card that does better than the aging R9 280X at double precision.  Am I wrong?

I have no issue paying $500+ for a high-end graphics card, but I'm totally bummed that there isn't a solution between the 2100+ gigaflops of the W8100 and the 1024 of the R9 280X. Is there anything on the horizon that offers 1/4 double precision? The Fury X is awesome from a gaming standpoint, but why the huge drop to 1/16th double precision? Is this a technical obstacle or am I just some niche user that loves playing Rise of the Tomb Raider *and* number crunching when I'm not gaming?

Thanks for any guidance. I have a 100% AMD system and am locked and loaded for a significant investment in ZEN, I just have no idea where to go from the graphics side.

Outcomes