8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 5:45 PM by rickt

Beware of having 1 monitor and a TV Hooked up !

rickt

I posted here at the beginning of the week and didn't get any help , here is the post:

My PC has a SSD drive and it was running out of room , So everything was working before I get the driver question. All my downloads are on a secondary drive.

Here's what I did Had Win7x64pro wipe the drive and reinstall. Now this is not SP1. After the install download all windows updates with SP1 and reboot. Now I have done this 4 times in different configurations ! Run the installer before the updates and after didn't work and even updated Win Explorer11

And everytime I do it I get the same thing after the installer finishes everything looks great it asks to change my resolution to preferred, " I agree" it refreshes the screen LOOKS GREAT.

Now it asks to REBOOT so I do...........The greet song plays and ALL I SEE is windows background screen . No icons No tray and No mouse. and No Cntrl/alt/del you get a black screen !

I also tried just using the Windows update version of the driver and get the same results !!

Over at Microsoft they tried to help but got no where ..........

Gave up your card and purchased a New Geforce guess what same thing.........Was my Video card slot corrupted ?  Then finally after reading hundreds posts came across a note by someone asking do you have 2 monitors !!!!!!!

My PC is a HTPC with a HDTV in another room for watching movies..... Please explain to me who was the genius to default HDMI over DVI ? Since DVI is the industry default.. and explain to me why the 2nd monitor doesn't have a number 2 show up in one of the corners marking it as 2nd monitor as default then allow the user to turn off the mark ! After a new install of drivers !!!!!!!

• Re: Beware of having 1 monitor and a TV Hooked up !
          rickt

Guess no AMD employee's watch the Forum !

lobotomite430

Try using displayport and HDMI as DVI and VGA are being phased out and being much less commonly used. Thats probably why drivers and software default to HDMI over DVI.

rickt

Got a laugh at some of the others saying DUH HDMI is the standard. When millions of users have DVI's.

What do we know ? We know that the card is smart enough to sense that it has 2 displays hooked up ! So saying HDMI is the standard yea when you only have ONE display hooked up. The card knows it has 2 so the software driver should default to DVI

Besides the support not being....... I ended up getting a 2nd card guess what AMD it wasn't your brand.

The only reason I came back is because GOOGLE is your friend and someone like me with a HTPC setup that has a Duel purpose will find this thread.

lobotomite430

Dual purpose not duel, but anyhow I just want to reiterate to people who may stumble upon this and suggest using both connections as HDMI as DVI is disappearing. Millions may use DVI but I doubt its anywhere near the number of users on HDMI. I havent had issues with a similar setup using HDMI on a HDTV in conjunction with a monitor but I also havent used DVI since CRT monitors. Displayport and mini displayport also worked well for my HTPC setup.

squall-loire

rickt wrote:

Got a laugh at some of the others saying DUH HDMI is the standard. When millions of users have DVI's.

What do we know ? We know that the card is smart enough to sense that it has 2 displays hooked up ! So saying HDMI is the standard yea when you only have ONE display hooked up. The card knows it has 2 so the software driver should default to DVI

Besides the support not being....... I ended up getting a 2nd card guess what AMD it wasn't your brand.

The only reason I came back is because GOOGLE is your friend and someone like me with a HTPC setup that has a Duel purpose will find this thread.

Millions of people also still have VGA/D-Sub connections, that doesn't make them the standard. DVI has never and will never be the industry standard (any one of the 4 main varieties that have existed over the years). As lobotomite correctly points out, the standard is HDMI and DisplayPort - top level cards like the Fury X / Fury Nano / don't even have DVI ports any more, and I wouldn't expect them on flagship Polaris (or even Pascal) models either.

This does present somewhat of a problem for people (like me) who are still using a couple of analogue displays, since it means replacing the displays or using costly active adapters, but that's always been the case with technology - you either keep up or get left behind.

squall-loire

rickt wrote:

Guess no AMD employee's watch the Forum !

You're right, they don't. This is a user-to-user support forum.

Aside from that, you've not actually presented anything that requires support. You're just complaining about something that has absolutely nothing to do with AMD (because as you've said, the problem persisted on an nVidia card too), and that sounds like it was mostly down to you not understanding how to properly configure multi-display setups.
                      DVI is not the industry default - in fact it's on its way out entirely. HDMI is the default, and will be for some time to come, especially for HTPCs which are designed to sit in the living room connected primarily to an HDTV rather than a monitor.

techguy

You might want to file an AMD customer Support Ticket to see if AMD has any help for your situation. The graphics situation is very convoluted and frustrating for many.

rickt

I just got the same monitor last night.  Asus even states hdmi will not support the 144hz refresh rate of the VG248QE.  You have to use  display port/DVI if you want 144hz at 1920x1080. As far as your TV the 120 is not the native refresh rate most likely. They are advertised as 120 but is really 60 bumped up. Hope this helps.

So the professionals that use CAD or any advanced graphic you are wrong about HDMI that is for you gamers !