47 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2017 8:28 AM by van_de_fanel

Crimson Edition 16.2 still didn't fixed advanced video settings?

baboo007

When will you fix it

• Re: Crimson Edition 16.2 still didn't fixed advanced video settings?
          amdmatt

What issue are you referring to?

Not all of the Catalyst features have been moved over to our Crimson drivers yet.

kingfish

AMD...please explain what the "DEFAULT" setting means in video options? Can you please remove that option? It's a non-word that means absolutely nothing. (Like 'surface format optimizations...which AMD decided to keep in the new format..and default it to 'enabled'). Personally, I use Kodi as my video player. It has more useful controls and settings than all the available AMD choices put together. It is ruined by Crimson. Why? Instead of giving us the option to "Use Video Player Settings" (as in CCC) you give us "Default".

AMD...please explain what the "DEFAULT" setting means in video options? ray_m amdmatt

amdmatt

The capabilities and video profiles vary greatly across Radeon graphics cards and video content, this was true even with the finer grain controls in the old Catalyst Control Center. As we update and improve the video profiles from driver to driver, it's not possible to give you complete specifics of what is and isn't enabled in each profile, as this is in a state of flux and can change from driver to driver. It's constantly being updated and improved for every profile apart from Default and Vivid. 

The video profiles in Radeon Settings have been designed to makes things easier, just select a profile that matches your content or viewing environment and we'll take it from there and make the video viewing experience better within the capabilities of your graphics card.

To answer your question, as a general rule;

Default = No adjustments, no video algorithms.

Vivid = Everything possible that your graphics card can utilise to improve the experience. Everything is enabled and improved for the best video viewing experience.

Each profile has a specified use;

Default – Uses factory default video settings.

Cinema – Intended for viewing movies in home theatres and dim environments.

Enhanced –Intended for general viewing and boosting overall picture quality.

Home Video – Intended for viewing home recordings.

Outdoor – Intended for viewing videos in bright environments.

Sports –Intended for viewing fast-motion videos.

Vivid – Intended to provide the highest level of picture quality.

If you want a bit more control, you can use the custom setting and adjust some features that are available on your graphics card. Enable Demo Mode in Radeon Settings under the Video tab when watching a video on your computer and it will split the video into two sections, allowing you to monitor the changes each profile makes to the video in real time.

Should you wish to keep using the original video controls that were available in Catalyst Control Center, then i would recommend to keep using Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta which can be downloaded here. www.amd.com/beta

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                    darkbeast

Using Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta is not a solution because most of us also want the graphical improvements/bugfixes from the newer drivers. I know it's possible to update to Crimson drivers while still using Catalyst Control Center (as I'm currently doing) but some of the adv. options in Catalyst are now broken after updating to 16.3 drivers. I posted about it already  CCC + Crimson 16.3 drivers -- Video quality options gone? There's not much point in using Catalyst if the newer drivers don't fully work on it.

Again I don't understand why AMD has to force a simplified interface with anemic options onto everybody. Taking away choice from advanced users should never be the way to go. There are many experienced users who want and need to fully customize all the features to their own liking.  It's not like there were that many advanced video options to start with. With Crimson there's practically none.

kingfish

What I and others don't understand...why remove the ability to use the settings and optimizations of our chosen video player that has been a available option for years? Adding Default (no optimizations) doesn't benefit anyone. 'Use Video player settings' allows a choice....AMD perceived 'best' settings, or the users 'best' settings. Seems awful familiar...Win10 heavy handed "I know what is best for you" comes to mind? Use AMD optimizations or no optimizations (default)....sounds like a choice between polio or cancer. I am sure there is one person who makes these kind of decisions. What I'm not sure of, is whether that person is aware of the negative feedback from users (and the reasons for it) and whether that person is responsible enough to recognize it is a mistake and reverse the decision .

hklamgary

Did you test your card with each profiles? You accept the wrong preset video quality?

Each profile cannot get the best result to the video. Whatever let the video over sharp or the motion blurred.

This is very serious that AMD want to kill yourself on your video goodwill which establishd for many many years!

Also, AMD tell the user use back Catalyst is very stupid.

AMD want us to keep our old card forever and never buy your new card?

We will not buy any new AMD video card in the future as they must not support Catalyst !

baboo007

Your explanation is just not good enough.  Your presets are not working. Every setting on my setup makes in worst.  Vivid to bright and so on.  We need to be able fine tune video settings.

Why don't you simplify setting for gamers too, like ability to turn it On-VSYC.  Game will run faster..... or in presets turn off Ambient Occlusion it also speeds up game.  You simply can't because every reviewer would destroy you. You can only get away with it because, this days, no one review HTPC capabilities of video card driver.  This is a shame that now I have to choose between game ready driver or video quality of videos.  Shame on you AMD.

panzeriv

Me too I find it a real shame that there's features that were already there since years go but suddently have now disappeared, and you dare to call this "progress"?!

Yes the new UI looks better and start-up much faster but what's the point if half of the features are missing? It's not like if I'd care that it would load any faster since it's usualy just a "Set & Forget".

Also when you click on "More" to learn more details, it says nothing at all about what each preset does or what each features in the "Custom" actualy do. Was it so hard to hire someone for 30 minute to type down the information/description? I'm stuck having to search around the Internet and here to know basic stuff that should already had been there since the very beginning of the new Crimson software.

baboo007

Crimson Edition 16.5.2   did you fixed/added advanced video setting in this release?????  I want to play DOOM.... But i don't want to install new drivers to play and then reinstall catalyst to watch video on my HTPC.

Please bring video settings back !!!!!!!!

qwekqwek

Any updates? Are these settings available now in Crimson 16.5.2?

I am still using Catalsyt 15.11 for my setups, I even fixed Windows 10 from auto updating to Crimson because I use those advanced calibrations for my HTPCs.

vbkun

Not back in 16.5.2 nor 16.5.2.1.

mrm2015

What are people planning on doing since AMD have abandoned support of this? I assume nVidia is the only choice, but have no idea where their video quality is at nowadays.

vbkun

My brother owns a GTX 970, so I ran some tests on his machine (actually before going R9, had a HD4770 before), here my opnions :3:

- Deinterlacing:

I'm not sure what method they use, but it has a too high threshold, so its very common to have interlaced lines 'left over' in real interlaced video.

- IVTC:

Their ivtc is alright, I didn't notice any problems in movies. It had a fail-rate bigger than Radeon when the topic is mixed content like music videos. But then again, Radeon isn't flawless here, nothing is.

- Upscaling:

Their upscaling is... "meh", it was actually the reason I decided to stick to amd (this was before I installled the R9 and found out crimson disaster).

While amd does something that looks like lanczos3 with super res... nvidia does something that looks like a plain bi-linear upscale. Their "edge enhancements" algorithms does do much either, they look just like a plane sharpen filter without any threshold.

- Denoising: This is something I really didn't even try at nvidia as I don't really like denoising.

I also tried intel, but well, I would put it like this AMD>Nvidia>Intel. So I don't think its even worthy to mention what I do think of their stuff.

My solution so far is to use some player that can use madvr + lav codecs.

LAV uses yadif deinterlacer, which gives results very similar to what I had in HD4770.

Madvr have a myriad of upscaling and refinement options. After a lot of time settings madvr up, I would say that, for my 'video taste':

HD4770 > Madvr+Lav > R9

Of course, the 2 big downsides for me:

- CPU usage.

- Being stranded to a player. Jeez I never thought I would back to software solutions for video processing in middle of 2016

(Seems that since HD4770 to most recent models the sharpen edge algorithm from amd changed to something similar to warpsharp (which I hate), so I still find the results in my older HD4470 better than R9 with Catalyst)

To add up... I just used Catalyst on R9 for a couple of days, then moved back to crimson. I could not fathom using an old driver in my new rig -.- (if I wanted to keep using old drivers I could as well have kept my old hardware )

Bottomline: Until I have ... murdered the *ATI* fanboy inside of me they have some chance to return what they took from me (probably not much longer than a couple months). My solution for video playback has become 100% hardware independent, so Nvidia not being "good enough" is no longer a problem, amd isn't either anymore.

Taking even more space, and leaving this up to anyone who has the will reply me, is there any reason left to pick AMD over Nvidia now that it's no longer useful for media?

darkbeast

is there any reason left to pick AMD over Nvidia now that it's no longer useful for media?

You really REALLY like the color red?

I switched from Nvidia because they basically didn't give a sh|t about supporting their older cards anymore. I had a GTX 460 and there was a case a few years ago where loads of people with Fermi cards couldn't update their drivers. We would get the "display driver has stopped responding" error and freezes with using Firefox browser. To the point where Nvidia made a thread asking people to send in their videocards so they could test them. That thread had over a hundred pages. This problem lasted like a year. Imagine not being able to update your video drivers for a year? Eventually they fixed it and everything was good for awhile but then the problem returned again later. After my card died I decided I had enough of Nvidia and went with AMD for the first time. Well, AMD's got their own problems as we all can attest to.

Both of these companies can be downright sh|t. All we can do is hope that they listen to customer complaints and give us better drivers. I don't think AMD is doing either very well at the moment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              mrm2015

Superb response - very helpful, thank you.

Doesn't resolve our current problems but I do appreciate the feedback.

darkbeast

Nope no change at all. AMD must think their customers are all novices and/or don't use their computers for watching any type of media.

noldone

aamd.png

Advanced Settings disappear. I`m play CS:GO on 1280x960 4:3 after update amd drivers, Catalyst Panel disappeared, and i can't play in standart resolution...

I'll try to instalar 15.11 drivers and wait for a fix for this problem.

em1o

for chrisakes, it's been over a year, and AMD still hasn't fixed their drivers. i have a 7750 that chokes at 1280x720, i need it at 1360x768 which it claims is not a supported value. flash and YouTube have become nightmares of freezing and complete lockups.

is AMD tanking or something? this is horrid customer service.

if i can't get the original CCC disc to run i may be forced to go to nVidia simply to get my monitor working correctly (again).

interim fix (similar available at parent page) for w7-64bit:  Legacy

qwekqwek

I also have a 7750, the Sapphire Ultimate fanless, and I am using it to run at 2560x1440 with no problems using Crimson 16.5.3.  I have no problems watching 1080p 60fps youtube, netflix, amazon etc. But I never use the flash player in my browser, I uninstalled it years ago. Maybe try disabling flash plugin and see if that works for you? I suggest creating a seperate thread, you might get more help if you open a new one.

van_de_fanel

SOLUCION

-instalar ultima version 16.12.2

-bajar este archivo CCCSlim.rar - Google Drive

-descomprimir carpeta

-luego de instalar ir a  "" C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext """

-reemplazar la carpeta CCCSlim

-listo ahora pueden disfrutar de advanced video settings