Driver for Radeon HD 5450 (15.201) causing black screen of death

blackystrat

My PC Configuration:-

OS - Win 7 Professional 64 bit
      CPU - AMD FX-6100
      Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
      Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 8 GB
      Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
      Hard Drives - Crucial MX 100 - 256 GB (Primary C:) Seagate Barracuda - 160 GB Seagate Barracuda - 500 GB

My PC started having a black screen without cursor about 4-5 days back following a Windows Update. I ran checks for my SSD and it passed without errors. I finally did a clean install and installed the ATI driver from the CD that came along with my card and everything went fine. I started installing updates from Windows and after installing about 40-50 updates, the black screen returned.

Initially I had thought that it was for a rogue Windows patch that was released and so I clean installed Windows again and proceeded with the Windows Updates cautiously, installing updates in batches of 10 and restarting to see if the black screen re-appeared. All the updates were installed without a problem.

I then downloaded the AutoDetectUtility tool from AMD and ran it to detect the best driver for my GPU. It detected my GPU and OS properly and suggested the driver version 15.201 dated 21/07/2015 to be the latest driver for it. I installed it and BAM! the black screen re-appeared right away. I logged into the safe mode and rolled back the driver to the previous one - 8.872 dated 07-07-2011 and I was able to log in without any problem. Next I installed the driver that was offered by Windows and again the black screen appeared. I rolled back and it was gone. This helped me to pin point that the issue was with the latest version of the ATI Radeon HD 5450 driver, v - 15.201

Working Driver

ATI-Prev.png

Rogue Driver

ATI-New.png

Just wanted to let you guys know about this in the forums so that AMD can take a note of this and look into the matter.

Does anyone else have any such experience with this driver. Can something else be causing this?

Thanks

• Re: Driver for Radeon HD 5450 (15.201) causing black screen of death
          smashedlaptop

Same OS, same problem.  I've spent countless fun hours searching for legacy Catalyst software and failing to resolve this.  Lemme know if you get anywhere.

radeonerrorreporter

Same problem, different OS. Here's the brief overview of my problem;

I can't play "Sims 3", "Dragon Age: Origins" nor "Life is Strange" because I keep getting black screen of death every time I start any of these games. Some games I have still work and I've even noticed some improvements in performance (as is the case in DIRT 3 Complete Edition). This type of error started happening right after I let Windows 10 install the Creator's Fall update and after it pulled (I suspect) the AMD driver version 15.201. "Sims 3" and "Dragon Age: Origins" worked before, and I didn't obtain "Life is Strange" then. Now I'm stuck in this state of unplayability of these three fine games... and I haven't even had a chance to try "Life is Strange"... Please, if you know mercy, help me out somehow.

Here are my specs:

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version    10.0.16299 Build 16299

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Name    DESKTOP-ITO6GHK

System Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard

System Model    HP G62 Notebook PC

System Type    x64-based PC

System SKU    WQ013EA#BED

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU       M 350  @ 2.27GHz, 2266 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    Hewlett-Packard F.08, 11.5.2010.

SMBIOS Version    2.6

Embedded Controller Version    60.31

BIOS Mode    Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer    Hewlett-Packard

BaseBoard Model    Not Available

BaseBoard Name    Base Board

Platform Role    Mobile

Secure Boot State    Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS

System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.16299.192"

User Name    DESKTOP-ITO6GHK\Boris

Time Zone    Central European Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    6,00 GB

Total Physical Memory    5,80 GB

Available Physical Memory    2,65 GB

Total Virtual Memory    6,74 GB

Available Virtual Memory    3,00 GB

Page File Space    960 MB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Virtualization-based security    Not enabled

Device Encryption Support    Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

Graphics:

Name    AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68E0&SUBSYS_143A103C&REV_00\4&136621A8&0&0008

Adapter Type    AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68E0), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible

Adapter Description    AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series

Adapter RAM    1,00 GB (1.073.741.824 bytes)

Installed Drivers    aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,amdxc64.dll

Driver Version    15.201.1151.1008

INF File    oem17.inf (ati2mtag_ManhattanP section)

Color Planes    Not Available

Color Table Entries    4294967296

Resolution    1366 x 768 x 59 hertz

Bits/Pixel    32

Memory Address    0xA0000000-0xAFFFFFFF

Memory Address    0xC44E0000-0xC44FFFFF

I/O Port    0x00003F00-0x00003FFF

IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967292

Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys (8.14.1.6463, 658,48 KB (674.288 bytes), 16.12.2015. 19:07)

I hope this helps, at least a bit. I hope you'll be able to solve this if you embark on doing so. Thank you in advance.

OK Team, if you are reading this, know that the answer to this type of problem most likely lies in the update of your drivers, which you can find on this page:

Download Drivers

Just scroll down to find the graphics card you are using and the OS that you have, and simply download the drivers and install them. Now I assume a backup of your current drivers would be appropriate, however, I haven't done such a thing. My problem was solved by installing the "Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta" for 64-bit version of Windows 10 found on this page:

Legacy

All three of the games work now, and I must add, they work far better than they did even before I installed the Creator's Fall update. So I'm thrilled! I hope this information will be helpful to someone who is stuck with aged drivers.

Cheers!

daggerfall

I believe there is no official support for Windows 10 higher than 1607 ltsb, in that old drivers, amd have very poor changelog information but I saw some information about initial support for windows 10 creators update in 17.x.x crimson driver, green company release drivers for windows 10 update too with official support updated windows 10 what you can see in changelog pdf document what they releasing for each build, some serious changes happens in windows 10 1703/1709, drivers must support that changes. I dont see any advantages using windows 10 with such hardware, I have notebook with mobility radeon hd 5470 and it works fine on windows 7 with 15.7.1.

daggerfall

How you installing Win7?
                Download Windows 7 SP1 u x64 updated iso from 201105 or later.
                How do you install updates?
                Install windows updater (when it restart autoupdater and start to search updates, wait until it done, when close and reboot manually)
                Start to search updates, uncheck all updates after 2014.10 (you will got something about  ~105 checked- spying updates)
                install it, wait after reboots in desktop about 10 minutes (it doing something after-installation stages). When, install net framework 4.6.2 (I think you do not need 4.5.2 from windows updates, 4.6.2 contain previous versions) (download full installer from microsoft official site)
                start searching updates, install all updates exclude security cumulative (2017.12 huge update) and netframework cumulative, reboot, install security cumulative packages for windows and net framework.
                Do not install any drivers from windows update, do not install chipset drivers for that board. Install vcredist 2005 SP1 x64
                When you done install http://support.amd.com/ru-ru/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows%207%20-%2064

15.7.1 catalyst