Discussion created by blackystrat on Feb 25, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2018 by kingfish

My PC Configuration:-

OS - Win 7 Professional 64 bit
CPU - AMD FX-6100
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 8 GB
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
Hard Drives - Crucial MX 100 - 256 GB (Primary C:) Seagate Barracuda - 160 GB Seagate Barracuda - 500 GB

My PC started having a black screen without cursor about 4-5 days back following a Windows Update. I ran checks for my SSD and it passed without errors. I finally did a clean install and installed the ATI driver from the CD that came along with my card and everything went fine. I started installing updates from Windows and after installing about 40-50 updates, the black screen returned.

Initially I had thought that it was for a rogue Windows patch that was released and so I clean installed Windows again and proceeded with the Windows Updates cautiously, installing updates in batches of 10 and restarting to see if the black screen re-appeared. All the updates were installed without a problem.

I then downloaded the AutoDetectUtility tool from AMD and ran it to detect the best driver for my GPU. It detected my GPU and OS properly and suggested the driver version 15.201 dated 21/07/2015 to be the latest driver for it. I installed it and BAM! the black screen re-appeared right away. I logged into the safe mode and rolled back the driver to the previous one - 8.872 dated 07-07-2011 and I was able to log in without any problem. Next I installed the driver that was offered by Windows and again the black screen appeared. I rolled back and it was gone. This helped me to pin point that the issue was with the latest version of the ATI Radeon HD 5450 driver, v - 15.201

Working Driver

ATI-Prev.png

Rogue Driver

ATI-New.png

Just wanted to let you guys know about this in the forums so that AMD can take a note of this and look into the matter.

Does anyone else have any such experience with this driver. Can something else be causing this?

Thanks

Outcomes