0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 2:57 AM by csoren

Black screen when enabling "No execute" support in BIOS

csoren

Boot method: UEFI

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 OC Formula

CPU: i7-2600K

Graphics card: XFX 6870 2 GB

Drivers: "amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit.exe" or "non-whql-64bit-nieg-radeon-crimson-16.1.1-win10-win8.1-win7-feb3.exe"

I'm having a problem with NX bit support. Randomly, when NX support is enabled, a black screen is displayed and the computer stops responding when booting into Windows. If I disable NX support in the BIOS, the drivers consistently load fine and I can log in as normal.

I have tried to go back to Windows 8.1, which installs fine, but as soon as Windows starts applying updates, the AMD control center notification icon appears, the monitor switches to its native resolution, after which the computer stops responding and a black screen is displayed after reboot.

This is worrying to say the least. I don't want to have to disable NX support and I don't think I should - the drivers should not attempt to execute code in no execute memory, which they appear to be doing. The card and drivers have been working flawlessly for the last 4.5 years, which is really much longer than I expected it to last, so overall I've been pretty happy with my setup, but this is not good.