26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:22 PM by wolfsdogs

Can I use the latest video drivers from AMD to update my HP notebook?

wolfsdogs

I currently own a HP 15-G170nr notebook PC and I noticed that the video drivers on HP are older than the AMD.com site and I wanted to know that is it totally safe and ok to use driver from AMD instead of HP drivers? I know that my notebook has a AMD E1-6010 processor with AMD Radeon R2 graphics and I see that they have a Crimson driver for this type of video card on AMD site. The driver that HP comes with is version 13.351 and I see that AMD has 15.12 so AMD is a lot more updated. I do play low demanding games so I was hoping that having the 15.12 version will give little more FPS and better performance. I heard people say that using drivers from AMD or Intel or Nvidia is the best since OEM don't update theres often.

• Re: Can I use the latest video drivers from AMD to update my HP notebook?
          amdmatt

Yes you can update to the drivers AMD provides.

The latest Crimson drivers are 16.2 and should support your APU.

wolfsdogs

Oh ok well why does HP only have the version 13 if there is a 16? Its been over a year and they haven't updated it any newer and I talked to HP and they said they always update the drivers often for both Win 8.1 or Win 10. It originaly came with Win 8.1 but the driver for the video is the same original one since the day the notebook was sold at Walmart which was around close to 2 years ago. I see they they made driver for Win 10 and it is newer like has version 15 but why is the Win 10 drivers newer than Win 8.1? If AMD makes version 16 for both Win 8.1 an 10 when HP doesn't update the Win 8.1 to newer version. I wonder even for Win 10 the 15 version is the last one they will ever update for this notebook.

I see this pattern on a lot of notebooks from like Dell or Toshiba etc but they always say they keep updating but I don't really see it happening. Is it possible that drivers from HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc are differently made than AMD or Intel drivers? If I' am correct do I have to use drivers from HP to make my video card to work right?

amdmatt

I was able to find two recent AMD/HP display drivers on the HP website?

wolfsdogs

Those drivers are for the Win 10. I still use Win 8.1 and those drivers are older and use the 13 version which is the same as the original one that came with this notebook that comes with Win 8.1. The Win 10 drivers are a lot newer since HP got them when Win 10 came out. You will have to click change OS and click Win 8.1 then you will see what I am saying that they are very old. But I have a feelings the even for Win 10 these 15 version will never be more updated. Also even for Win 10 the version 15.201 isn't the same as 15.12 that is on AMD that is considered the stable version.

That's why I thought maybe HP drivers are made differently and are only made for my notebook so if I used ones from AMD it would mess up or have trouble. Same goes for Toshiba, Dell, etc they use different drivers than from Intel or AMD.

But the last person who posted said it is totally ok to use AMD driver but is that really really for sure? Also even for other companies like Toshiba or Dell will they work getting drivers from Intel or AMD?

kingfish

Driver updates are the biggest problem with all laptops. You might get 2-3 graphics driver updates from the manufacturer before they forget about you, as they are on to newer models. Until recently, laptops from Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic couldn't use any graphics drivers except those offered by the manufacturer. You do not have to use drivers from HP.

wolfsdogs

Replying to kingfish are you sure that its totally ok using AMD or Intel drivers for notebooks? I did reply back to the post that amdmatt said since the drivers he took screen shots were for Win 10 and they weren't for Win 8.1. You will have to manually select Win 8.1 since HP detects the current OS you are using.

But as I said even for Win 10 drivers on HP I bet that they won't update anymore after the version 15 that HP has. But is that normally that HP will quit updating at a certain time? I do see that the release dates are not that old even for the Win 8.1 but HP but just changed the date from the original even the drivers are exactly the same as back when this notebook was new meaning the original drivers. HP seems to make you think they are latest even for Win 8.1 but they aren't they are the same as the original drivers. This goes even for Toshiba notebooks I see the same thing they are doing on there site. Seems like after Win 10 came out HP, Toshiba, etc put a newer date but the drivers are the same for Win 8.1. I assume that as I said even the Win 10 drivers are newer they will never update anymore. But if I am wrong let me know.  Thank you for your help so far btw.

kingfish

These are the drivers for your laptop > Mobile

Install >

1. Using steps 1-5 , manually select your graphics drivers HERE

and download/save to your desktop. Do not use automatic find and install.

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****

Note: Disable all anti-virus/ anti-malware/ anti-anything while performing the installation. Very important.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and EXPRESS uninstall all AMD software including the install manager. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and selectively uninstall the graphics drivers and CCC only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Please note that if you choose "Express Install" the new drivers, it will automatically install the 'Gaming Evolved' (raptr) app in addition to the drivers. If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, choose 'Custom' install the new drivers and uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

Screenshot_1.png

****Help others with similar issues.****

If this response was any help please mark it:

Helpful, Like, or Correct Answer

wolfsdogs

Oh ok but I was actually asking that has drivers from Dell or HP, etc use different version or different type than OEM drivers? I see even the all of the driver version number aren't the same as ones in AMD or Intel. They may have like version 15 but the rest of the numbers are different. That's why I thought maybe HP has changed or made it work right with this notebook. Also even for the Toshiba one I have that has Intel Celeron N2830 processor it has a different version than what Intel sites has.

Also I did today asked this question on HP forums and this is what they said but is this true that I should use OEM drivers? Or does this person have no idea about computers and just saying random things since he doesn't work for HP?

"I would strongly agree with PeerOne that you should not be forcing installation of video drivers from anywhere other than HP.  Laptops use specialized video chipsets developed especially for them and the drivers that work the best are those that come from the OEM -- in this case, HP.  Forcing the installation of other drives, while they MIGHT work, can also cause you to lose the display, making it then very difficult to remove those drivers and reinstall the original, working, ones.

As to audio drivers, while the same recommendation is true, the downside is not so severe.  You would still then be able to easily reinstall the proper drivers if you force the install of ones that do not work.

What I recommend is downloading and installing a free utility known as DriverBackup.  This allows you to easily save off and restore your current drivers.  This way, you can make a backup of the current drivers and restore them, if needed.

I experiment with RealTek audio drivers all the time and use this utility to make driver backups before I do that.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP."

kingfish

Ignore this guy. You don't need any utility to choose and install your graphics drivers.  Stop worrying so much. Create a restore point and install the drivers I linked you to.

As for your Toshiba laptop...tell me the graphics solution. Switchable? What is the EXACT Toshiba model number? Look in Device Manager under display graphics...what does it say? And what OS?

wolfsdogs

Well is it that risky that I need to create a system restore though? Since that guy said I needed to do this and you did also.

For my Toshiba it only has a Intel HD graphics from bay trail since it has a Intel Celeron N2830 processor. The notebook is a Toshiba C55-B5299 it was the one that was sold at Office Depot. I got it for $230.

kingfish

It's not because it's risky. It's good common sense. Following the suggestions I have given you, you can also revert to the previous (current) drivers in the computer Device Manager..."roll back to previous drivers". When Windows Update...updates your computer, it automatically creates a restore point..meaning "It's just common sense".

Toshiba >

Do you use Windows Update at all?  Or just Toshiba update? AMD requires a fully updated OS. Check WU for any 'optional' or 'recommended' updates...including any .netframework or C++ upgrades and install them.  I assume you did not  try to update this to Windows 10(cannot) . Windows update should have updated your Intel drivers...but you can check by going to Intel Support and run their Driver Update Tool. Install whatever it finds.

wolfsdogs

I do install all drivers from HP or Toshiba and I have installed all of the Windows Updates but just didn't install the Microsoft driver updates since its not from HP or Toshiba. I do use the HP Support Assistant software to download drivers from HP and use a similar program that Toshiba has. I wanted to try to install the video and sound drivers from AMD or Intel or Realtek to get the newer drivers but I didn't know if it was ok that's why I asked you guys. I did delete all of the so called bloatware since I heard that slows the PC down. I did research and just deleted stuff I don't need and also even cleaned up the Reg files I don't need and junk left overs on the C driver that was left after removing the softwares. So it does run fast now on both but I just wanted to know if it was totally fine using AMD or Intel or Realtek drivers to update my video and sound card. All drivers I seen were newer than what HP or Toshiba had but I see that the version that HP or Toshiba has are different than AMD or Intel, etc has ever made so that's why I thought HP or so had made drivers for the model notebook I have and also for Toshiba.

What I mean is I found out that AMD or Intel has never made the exact same driver version that HP or Toshiba made in the past so I really thought that HP and Toshiba had there own drivers and as the other guy said from HP they are customized for the notebook I have. That's why I thought I need to just use HP or Toshiba drivers but you guys are saying that it is totally ok to use AMD or Intel drivers or Realtek for sound card drivers right? I just thought if Toshiba, HP, Dell etc has there own version for the notebook you use there is a reason. I use to own a Dell that had a AMD A4-6210 and AMD Radeon R3 and the drivers for that notebook was different version that AMD has never made.

kingfish

I'm not a linguist, I'm a Texan. I can only say it in one language. You update the/any graphics driver only if it fixes a issue you are having with your particular card. And yes you can use the newer drivers from Realtek. And Intel. And AMD.

The three mentioned manufacturers have released AMD from the agreed upon 'check for manufacturer' (the others..Dell, HP,Asus,etc never required it) when a laptop driver download was chosen  and would return a message (to the effect of) "Please contact your laptop manufacturer...Yadayada". So now the same drivers, and updates of, are allowed for all Laptop manufacturers that I know of. It's like in the old days of automobile new car warranties...to be valid. The "Servicing and Repairs" must be done at GM/Ford/Studebaker, etc. Authorized Dealerships. Wrong.

wolfsdogs

I do know I have strong OCD so I do usually like to know what is the true info and how things work and stuff so I kinda ask things in details since this is one thing I been wondering for actually many many years but never understood it since most just eather say use generic drivers or say use only OEM drivers like HP. I am soo confused for years and now I actually though by posting actually driver version I have will show that its different that what AMD has same goes with Intel they do the same thing and have driver versions soo different than Intel site. If anyone can help I would truly appreciate it.      Thank you

kingfish

Now I appreciate your concern... I realise it's difficult for you.

What if you didn't do anything? What's so bad about that? Neither the HP or Toshiba really need to be updated as all of the updates are Win10 and Crossfire improvements for the most part. These should not concern you...like the old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

The other option would be to take the laptop to a professional and pay him/them to completely update all aspects of your computer. A reputable company will guarantee their work.

I think you should just ignore the urge to update...you don't need it. But that's easy for me to say God bless you..

wolfsdogs

Ya I have had OCD, Tics and some ADD since I was little. I am 31 now and I take meds to help and I get SSI, Medicaid and EBT for my food. That's one reason why I can only afford low end machines even I play a lot of games like WoW, The Sims 4, StarCraft 2, Guild Wars 2, etc. I' am surprised that this AMD E1-6010 even plays pretty well on Crysis 3 and BF4 but have to be on lowest res and settings. But anyways the biggest reason why I started to have interest for years on using generic drivers is since a lot of people say that if you play games get drivers from AMD, Nvidia, Intel or so since they always make updates and give better FPS. I want to get the best out of my notebook but also don't want to mess it up and have problems eather. All these years each forums says different things one says use AMD or Intel to update drivers like you did. Others say use only OEM drivers since they are usually customized like the other guy said from HP that I posted here so you guys can read what this guy said on a different forums. It makes me soo crazy since I want best performance for my games but don't want trouble in the long run because of using generic drivers.

The thing is that if HP drivers for example the 13.351.1105.1005 is the same as the latest 15.12 that is the stable version then I can keep this one but it cant be since this 15.12 from AMD is recent and the 13.351.1105.1005 was from few years ago.  Here's the driver date for that version 6/16/2014. I bet that the 15.12 is a lot newer than that right? But yet HP doesn't update it so its more recent. They did update for Win 10 and that version is 15.200.1055.0. I think that one is the same as 15.12 from AMD. I don't want to use the 16.2 since that is kinda of a beta driver right?

wolfsdogs

Ok I did uninstall the AMD software and did a express uninstall as default and then I installed the AMD 15.12 version and everything seems to be working but one item in device manager shows as unknown device and I looked it up and this is the hardware lds   ACPI\VEN_ASD&DEV_0001

Does anyone know how to get drivers for this? I did try to see if Microsoft has drivers from windows update but it didn't find it and also even on HP Support Assistant didn't detect the missing driver.

wolfsdogs

Or is this something that can't be fixed and only OEM drivers form HP has this? If so is this why that you can't use generic drivers? Or does everyone has this problem when installing generic drivers?

wolfsdogs

I did end up putting back my OEM drivers and it did fix everything now my drivers are all installed. I guess generic drivers don't have everything you need for the notebook to work. I thought one of you guys would help and tell me how to install that missing drivers but since no one replied I just put back my OEM drivers and its now working. It seems like after looking at google it was a chipset driver missing which is strange since AMD should had that drivers but it didn't. So I guess I have to use OEM drivers since problems like this happens. I don't know why you guys said I won't have problems using AMD drivers when I did have problems.

wolfsdogs

I actually fixed the problem on this I had to do was just leave the OEM drivers and installed the AMD drivers and now everything works great also have DirectX 12 now on the feature levels. I guess I was not suppose to uninstall the AMD Catalyst drivers that came with this notebook and was just suppose to keep it and just install the Crimson 16.2.1 over it.