2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 1:14 PM by jburgett

FACT: All cooling fans die.

jburgett

Since all cooling fans die eventually, why make them hard to replace?

I have an older (out of warranty) but still very functional AMD FirePro v4800 graphics card. Recently the fan began squealing, and we all know what that means. So while I can access the three small screws to replace the fan, there is not enough clearance to remove it without disturbing the heatsink itself and the thermal interface material beneath it. There is no reason why this has to be done other than lazy engineering. These are STUPID design decisions, you should know better.

Rather than buy a replacement from AMD (was considering a FirePro W4300) with another poorly designed fan housing, I bought an Nvidia Quadro K1200 instead. Hopefully the fan housing design will not be as short-sighted.

Please forward this message to your R&D and Marketing departments.

Your customers deserve better.

Jim

• Re: FACT: All cooling fans die.
          black_zion

That's the way all graphics cards are designed, even your new nVidia card. Quality TIM is very inexpensive, and after five years I suspect it was pretty well dissipated on your W4300 anyway. Are you sure you didn't just want to upgrade your card and want AMD to pay for it?

• Re: FACT: All cooling fans die.
              jburgett

No - not all cards are designed that way. The engineers for the fan shroud could have provided clearance but didn't. Just a tenth of an inch more clearance would have been enough.

I acknowledge that my card was out of warranty, and I did not expect AMD to pay for it. I would have been happy to pay a reasonable price for a replacement fan. I've replaced TIM before on my processors, but the point of my post is to get the message to AMD's engineers that it is not acceptable to ignore the fact that all fans die.