3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2016 12:39 PM by amdmatt

AMD PowerPlay

mottoman216

Okay, so i have an R9 390 GPU which has been working pretty well for the most part. my biggest Gripe would be PowerPlay. The fact that the core clocks bounce around depending on load to save power is cool in theory. but this in reality causes a lot of jitters, stutters, stability issues in certain games. especially with Vsync enabled. I've tested this by disabling ULPS in the games effected and it seemed to have corrected it. which is what i am doing now.

My recommendation to the AMD Gods: Please give us the ability / option to manage 2d / 3d clocks. There is no need for variable core clocks... it causes more bad than good. Give us a simple option to turn that off, and give us 2 settings to mess around with. 2d clocks / 3d clocks. preferably according to game profile.

Thank you for hearing me out.

• Re: AMD PowerPlay
          amdmatt

Thanks for your feedback.

3D clocks should not be fluctuating under load, this is a known issue which we hope to have a fix for soon.

If you use Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta or Catalyst 15.7.1. WHQL you should be able to verify that clocks do not fluctuate.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mottoman216

Thank you amdmatt! you're correct. i just tried it out and 15.11.1 does indeed solve this issue. this whole time silly me thought it had to do with powertune / power play... -_-

What's weird is it only does it with Vsync enabled. which led me to believe it was some sort of power saving feature. regardless, thanks for the reply!

amdmatt

Yes, it's not expected behaviour. If the load is very light and vsync or an FPS cap is used then yes, you may see a little clock fluctuating as powerplay does its thing. But if the fluctuation is affecting the performance then it's not expected behaviour.