0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 9:19 PM by lordofbitterthings

Major FPS Drops While Looking at Certain Effects?

lordofbitterthings

I recently bought a new PC from ibuypower--with the new PC, I have more than I need for all games:

CPU Type

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz 6 Cores

System Memory

32 GB

Graphics Chipset

AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series

Radeon Software Version

It started when I was playing Dota 2.  I was getting FPS drops which never occurred on my past, less decent computer that I have had for four years. It ran better on my other computer, by far. I feel as if that should not be the case since I have practically doubled, sometimes tripled the speed, cores, etc. It normally happens when fights occur and particles start to show up. I understand that it's normal for FPS to sort of go down during those phases, but on my old rig, it would still stay 60FPS+. On this new computer, it fluctuates from 55 to 45, sometimes reaching 32--even on the lower settings.

The same goes with other games: Fallout 4, Borderlands 2, Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Overwatch, etc. The FPS is off, and I don't know what to do anymore. I generally tend to spend a lot of time troubleshooting because other people on the internet have relatively the same issues, and I do whatever they did and bam, fixed. But this time, it's not the case, and I am getting frustrated. I don't think I should have to do this amount of troubleshooting. It feels unfair, especially for the amount of moolah I spent on the computer, let alone the video card.

I have been lucky enough to never have to deal with video card issues, until now. I have troubleshooted the hell out of this issue. I feel as if I have done everything that I have read about or been suggested to do--which is a lot. I have been trying to fix it for almost a month now; spending the majority of my free time reading, writing, and calling. I have replaced the card with an identical one, and it still has the same issue.

Just dealing with Fallout 4 has been a pain, but if it is affecting all other games... and I have not found a fix, maybe I can get some help here?

I notice gigantic drops in FPS when I look into smoke in Fallout 4.  It seems fine everywhere else, but looking into smoke or fires that produce them, it lowers my FPS to 30--even at the lowest of settings with everything turned off and following the rest of the communities suggestions that have been dealing with these issues.  Lots of people refuse to play or trade in their 390 for Nvidia because of these issues from what I read. I don't know what to do anymore. I know Nvidia made it more difficult for AMD to effectively utilize Fallout 4, but it's not just this game.

Any help would be absolutely amazing. I would be grateful. And I want to use the AMD card! 8 gigs! I think it is maybe a problem during those particle effects or smoke effects or something. If my other computer that is half as good as my new comp can run everything better, then something is most definitely up. Sorry for being long-winded. I am stressed.