4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 1:02 AM by combustabl3l3mon

R9 280X crossfire - some games stuttering fullscreen, cards idling

stephen.hawkes@gmail.com

I'm suspecting this a Crimson issue. Haven't tried rolling back yet (full clean necessary to do so?).

Some pretty low requirements games just won't run fullscreen (super low FPS). E.g. Walking Dead Season 2 and INK. I've even had some games fail to run at all fullscreen (anything based off Unity 3.5.X). The same games run fine windowed at the same resolution (usually 1080P). Watching the cards via Gigabyte OC Guru, the cards just never ramp up when in fullscreen. They just sit there idled at  300MHz. When windowed the cards ramp up from idle fine.

What's going on? How do I force the cards to recognize a game and ramp up?

System details:

2x r9 280X (1100Mhz core clock) 3GB

Radeon Software Version - 16.1

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Windows Version - Windows 10

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor

• Re: R9 280X crossfire - some games stuttering fullscreen, cards idling
          stephen.hawkes@gmail.com

Update:

I pulled a card out and it's working fine. Didn't bother testing with both cards and no crossfire.

Crossfire was working fine on Windows 8.1.

One other useful bit of info: I have a rev1 and a rev2 r280x. Hasn't been an issue to date, but maybe is part of the issue?

• Re: R9 280X crossfire - some games stuttering fullscreen, cards idling
              combustabl3l3mon

I'm having the same issue with a similar build.

i7 3770

240GB v300 kingston ssd

2 hitachi 7200 rpm 500GB Raid 0

280 x2 (one disabled)

evga bronze 750w psu

msi z77a-g43 motherboard

crucial ballistix 8GB 1600mhz (x4 = 32GB)

Windows 10

When I enable my second R9 280, fullscreen games either stutter horribly or crash all together. I have tried clean installs numerous times in different orders, I've done it with and without security enabled, I've tested both pcie ports as well as both cards, etc. Both give a signal that they are working. The only reason I can come up with for crossfire not working is that either a) drivers or software are/is buggy on AMD's side or b) the difference in BIOS Part Number. I really hope it's not b since that is really stupid. If that is the problem, it would be nice to know how to flash the correct version onto it. That is literally the only difference between my two cards.