13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 11:09 AM by inferno

Lenovo Y700-15ACZ tips

sirmatthewofhodge

I recently purchased a Lenovo y700-15acz. So far I like it, although I'm not expecting it to run like my desktops for obvious reasons.

For an $800 laptop I'm pretty impressed, It scored 2925 in firestrike.

My desktop gets over 10,000, so again I'm not expecting the moon from it.

Can anyone make any recommendations on how I could squeeze a little more performance out of it?

I've already decided to upgrade the ram to 16gb (from 8gb)

I'm running a Lenovo version of catalyst control center and I want radeon settings, but when I tried to update it the laptop locked up.

I did expect the R9 M385X in it to perform a little better, and I'm wondering if it's been nerfed or if I'm running off of the R7 on the chip when it should be on performance mode.

CPUZ  and HWMonitor are not recognizing the R9 M385x. I'm not able to see gpu load at all.

The cpu seems to stay at the turbo clock at all times when plugged in, don't see too much throttle, so I'm pleased there. Lenovo should get some praise for cooling.

chizzo.jpg

It says it's only 15 watt tdp, but my firestrike results show it running at 35w tdp.

Should I update to this driver, or will it cause it to crash again because it's not a Lenovo driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

amdz.jpg

Thanks!

• Re: Lenovo Y700-15ACZ tips
          black_zion

Upgrade to a SSD. The Amazon.com: OCZ Storage Solutions Trion 100 Series 240GB SATA III 2.5" Solid State Drive would be my choice for $65. It's not the highest performance SSD there is, and it's no Amazon.com: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD, but it is $18 cheaper than the Samsung, but in a laptop you wouldn't notice the performance difference between the two.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              sirmatthewofhodge

I appreciate the response. I'm definitely going to add an ssd. I believe the laptop has a m.2 slot so I'll take advantage of that so I can keep the hdd for storage. I know amdmatt mentioned he had the same laptop, so I hope he chimes in regarding what graphics drivers I should be using. 

So 16gb of ram and a ssd are on the upgrade list.

black_zion

amdmatt

16GB RAM wouldn't be on my list, you're not going to exceed 8GB.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      sirmatthewofhodge

I agree that likely I won't exceed 8gb, but the R7 gpu that's on the chip eats 1gb of ram for vram, and windows uses roughly 1gb, so I only have 6gb free when nothing is running. I'd rather have 14gb free for games and programs. I found a good deal on a 16gb set 2 x 8gb ddr3l ram for $80

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Performance-1600MHz-CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9/dp/B00EXPNG5Y

It's worth the money to me to be sure I'll have enough ram.

I also heard this laptop has freesync but I can't find out how to turn it on, or if it's always on.

The switchable graphics between the R7 and the R9 m385x is good for battery life, I just think it would be more simple if it always ran off of the m385x. Then Hwmonitor would pick it up and display the usage and clocks..  It currently just shows the R7 during gaming and the clock speeds are idle... I wonder how much battery life is saved idling off of the r7 vs the m385x.

I can't wait to update the graphics drivers, I'm just afraid it'll crash like it did before.

amdmatt

I have the same model, it's a lovely laptop and the best AMD Carrizo laptop currently available.

I took the machine apart and removed the black Lenovo dust filter, It restricts airflow. I replaced it and added my own custom filter on the rear with brown tape which allows more airflow. It's dropped temps significantly.

1GB of system memory is used for the IGPU, so adding an extra 8GB ain't a bad shout. Most games should run fine with 8GB though. Take a look at this thread, so nice information in here.

sirmatthewofhodge

Thanks for the response Matt! Should I stay with the stock lenovo graphics drivers or should I update those? If so, should I just download the recommended update through ccc? 

I'm not really having a huge heat issue, but I have some dust filter material from a desktop that I could use to replace the filter on the laptop.

Thanks for the link, there was some good stuff on that post.

amdmatt

Update to the latest Crimson 16.1.1 drivers and keep up to date as and when we release new ones.

sirmatthewofhodge

Thanks Matt, this time it worked.

Either I am quite susceptible to the placebo effect or there's a performance improvement.

I noticed it right away with Diablo 3. Going to play more games now.

There isn't the switchable graphics option, but it seems it knows when to turn on the dgpu. Creepy......

I couldn't find those settings, maybe I didn't look hard enough.

I'm ordering a m.2 ssd and some more ram and this thing will be pretty rad when I'm traveling.

amdmatt

I do not believe this laptop supports Dual graphics. That said i have not used the Lenovo drivers, so perhaps the feature becomes available with those.

To configure an application to use the discrete GPU you need to open Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings.

In CCC Slim, navigate to Switchable Graphics Application Settings. This area will allow you to select which 3D application uses the Integrated GPU or the High Performance GPU. Add the application to CCC and select High Performance Mode to ensure that the High Performance GPU is used. Note, it is recommend to have the laptop plugged in and Windows configured to High performance mode in the Control Panel > Power options to ensure you get the best possible performance.

homesteadroad

Exactly! this will work!

inferno

Solved: ideapad y700-15ACZ throttle FIX!!! I GOT THE SOLUT... - Lenovo Community  ==>> refer to this mate I am the one who found the way for removing black filter and also refer the new one==>>

Lenovo Y700-ISK & Lenovo Y700-ACZ (( HEATING FIX )... - Lenovo Community

for custom work I recommend to use amd msr tweaker ==>> Undervolting/Editing P-States For Piledriver using AMD MrsTweaker (Mini Guide)  ((just download v1.1 nothing else)) + use msi afterburner and set the gpu clock to 910mhz and mem clock to 1150 it will remain cool and note that afterburner will not work unless you start the game as R9 M385x remains in sleep mode is no game is running

for AMD MSR TWEAKER USE THE FOLLOWING VALUES==>>  START C:\AmdMsrTweaker\AmdMsrTweaker.exe P0=34@0.875V P1=32@0.975V P2=29@0.775V P3=25@0.525V P4=23@0.425V P5=21@0.35 P6=18@0.2 P7=14@0.05V NB_P0=13@0.40V NB_P1=12@0.40V NB_P2=12@0.425V NB_P3=7@0V

open notepad and paste the above and save as MsrTweakerStartup.bat

NOTE : pls do this in high performance power plan if you do in power saver then it might get stuck at 1.3ghz until restart.

enjoy gaming like skylake model

kosh50

Hey Inferno I just want to know how you are able to use MSI afterburner to work?  I cant seem to get it to work on my machine.  I just updated to win anniversary and latest drivers and still nothing.  What ver of MSI did you use?  Im not sure if you might know the answer or not but I have yet to use AMD Tweaker yet just because I wanted to know how AMD would now if you used it or not regarding a warranty claim.

But yeah after the dust filter was removed I game on it daily with a cooler pad and my temps are solid always below 80 around 70-75C gpu temp but its the R7 so I would assume its the CPU temp or very close to it anyway..  What program are people using for CPU temp because I cant get anything to read that either.

inferno

Its so simple just download the MSI afterburner 4.3.2 beta run a game in windowed mode its necessary because without running any 3d application m385x wont start as its in sleep mode

And about R7 temp its because of APU cpu+gpu(r7 integrated) so you will see same temp of fx8800p & R7