26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2016 9:41 AM by foetopsy

A very bad sample? FX-8320E

retinal

Is it even possible that my FX-8320E CPU is such bad of a sample that it can barely reach a stable 3.9 GHz overclock with a voltage of 1.28 V?

I have a MSI 990FXA Gaming motherboard with supported Corsair Vengence PRO RAM, but not with a supported be quiet! 80+ Bronze 1000W PSU. My GPU is a Dual Core R9 290X2 that has a minimum system power requirement of a 1000W and uses max ~700W itself, which doesn't leave much for the other components. Could an under powered rig increase the required voltage to overclock a CPU? Because I can barely get a stable clock of 3.9 GHz with temps below 60 degrees with 1.28V. And if I want to increase it to 4 GHz, I would need to add another 0.04V. And to get closest to a stable 4.1, I would need to add around ANOTHER +0.06 V?? Which is about 1.38 V.

Is it possible that they screwed up so badly with their testing process or could my PC be the fault?

• Re: A very bad sample? FX-8320E
          black_zion

It is possible yes, though you are trying to OC a processor which is binned and tuned for lower voltage and operating frequency, quite possibly a binned 8350 chip, which takes 1.38v to hit 4.6ghz. If you're hitting 60°C then your cooler is crap and needs to be upgraded anyway, as an overclocked processor is much more affected by heat. Overclocking is always a crapshoot as to how much you can get.

Capture.PNG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              retinal

The temps seem a bit too high as well for a not so high of a clock. But I have a decent cooler, I presume. A be quiet! Dark Rock 3. Right? :/

I also changed the paste just yesterday. Still got the same results. I put the same paste that the cooler came with, and it's supposed to be a very good non conductive paste. I know that conductive pastes give better results, but I've been afraid that I'll screw something up. I'll actually test it soon, kind of don't care anymore.

tomtalk24

The 290X2 has a TDP of 580watts when running CrossFire. Single GPU usage should be just over half. So when you have set your overclock and boot into windows, GPU1 will be off until you play a CrossFire game. So unless the overclock is only failing when your doing both CPU and GPU stress testing I wouldn't worry about it.

We need the model of the MSI mobo, its possible its not made for overclocking. Or is made to only scratch the surface.

Depending on how your overclocking, using the bus or multiplier, you might need to push the voltage of other components like the CPU/NB.

Your voltages seem fairly normal, 1.38v for 4.1GHz is good. Your CPU will go upto 1.5v if you needed. Does your mobo come with LLC or any other voltage droop sorting type thing?

It is possible you have a lower than expected overclocking CPU. But they are sold at 3.2GHz with a bonus if you can get it to overclock.

AMD FX 8320E processor review - Overclocking With AMD FX to get an idea of your CPU, but you will still need to test 20 minutes at a time and doing the usual voltage up when CPU failed 20 minutes again thing as all CPUs are completely different.

See how you get on...

retinal

Right, how stupid of me. I'm only doing a CPU stress test, lol.

The model of the mobo actually is: 990FXA GAMING | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design .

I'm using the multiplier. I tried the bus as well, but same results. How much should I increase the NB voltage, or is there a way to test with trial and error? And the thing is that I can't even get a stable 4 GHz. But you gave some great ideas to try out now.

And another thing, if you don't mind. In my bios my HT Link frequency is set to 2600, and the CPU-NB to 2200 and says that the NB frequency should be greater or equal to the HT Link speed. So should I just turn the NB frequency up or meet them somewhere between?

tomtalk24

Ahh good, a proper mobo.

Leave the mobo NB as it is, I think 1.2 or 1.8. CPU/NB ideally between 1.25 to 1.3v.

HT and NB, yet ideally the same but not necessary or beneficial.

How far on stock voltage will she go before you get a fail in Prime or OCCT or whatever your using to test?

retinal

Well, I'm confused. At first, it really seemed like +0.10v to the RAM helped. I got to a stable 4.1 GHz with 1.37v for 15 min before I stopped Prime. Then I upped the CPU-NB to 1.27v, and it failed after 2 min. I put the CPU-NB voltage back to auto, and it failed after 3 min. This time, I cranked it up to 1.3v, and it failed after 7 min. This doesn't make any sense. I hit the 61 Celsius mark at 1.37v/4.1GHz anyway, so I guess I should test better thermal compound. Extra 100Hz isn't worth the +0.6v anyway. So I guess I'll just settle with 3.9GHz or 4.0GHz. Upping the RAM voltage could be useful tho.

Prime95 and I get 3.5GHz with the stock voltage.

AMD FX-8320E Overclocking, Test Setup, Power Consumption - AMD FX-8320E CPU Review: The Other 95W Vishera -Just to see that this guy got 4.5 out of 1.37v while I get an unstable 4.1 drives me insane.

Thanks for the help.

tomtalk24

I think when you set it back to auto it stays at the same or similar voltage. RAM has driven me nuts in the past using the bus.

As for the AnandTech, they likely got a great sample. I don't know for sure of course but I think them, Linus, all of these journalists get pre tested hardware that the manufacture knows will impress.

As your on water, it might be worth making sure your CPU VRMs are doing okay. Now you have little air flow over these components.

It sounds like you have salt fever, but it seems you have a fair overclock. If it eases your mind I have a 25% overclock now, yet crave for more. You may even be able to pick up a 8350 in the future, then your on higher ground to start with.

retinal

Yeah, you're probably right. And I think a Zen processor will be my next baby girl. Even if it means switching mobos. But it's a great CPU, it has served me well. And when the next level APIs come out, it can serve me better (I hope at least 'cause I bought it just at the end of the year).

Thanks again!

black_zion

Zen will require Windows 10, so don't even think about it unless you want to put up with Microsoft shoving mandatory upgrades and updates down your throat.

techguy

If Microsoft was foolish enough to insist on people using WIN10 to support Zen based products, I guarantee you they will lose BILLIONS of dollars and customers as many people will switch to Linux before being blackmailed into using WIN10.

black_zion

Look it up. Only certain Intel Skylake processors will receive support in Windows 7 and 8.1, wile the rest of the Skylake models and all future models from Intel and AMD (and Qualcom for mobile) including Zen will require Windows 10. It's Microsoft's way of forcing people to upgrade, like making DirectX 12 a Windows 10 exclusive, and by making Windows 10 exclusive games. I see little chance of them changing this.

techguy

What Microsoft says they will do and what they actually do, can be much different. Do you recall the disappearing "start" button and Win 8? It would be suicide for Microsoft to NOT support Zen based products in any Windows version other than WIN10. I know that Microsoft has been working diligently to go out of business and they may be close to achieving their goal if they refuse to support Zen products on all O/S's from Win 7 forward. Enterprise told MS what they could do with their demands to drop XP support and MS suddenly reconsidered their position.

black_zion

Microsoft won't budge on this, as Windows 10 is the only OS supported on new computers.

techguy

I'm willing to bet money that Microsoft does change their position on WIN10 being a necessity to use Zen based products. Enterprise is not in any hurry to use the problem prone WIN10. What Microsoft did is use their blog to float a "Trial Balloon" to see how much backlash they would receive. You can bet that class action lawsuits will be filed by many if MS does not change their extortionist policies.

I'm betting when the dust settles that MS will concede defeat and support Zen on Win 7-8 through 2020 when their official support of Win 7 is scheduled to cease. Anything less is a legal nightmare for them. I'd strongly suggest that online petitions and legal eagles pursue this matter immediately because most enterprise and consumers are not going to update to WIN10 and MS isn't going to be able to coerce consumers or enterprise into doing so - unless they want to be coerced. We've seen the Win-Tel cabal in action in the past and the DOJ isn't going to allow that abuse of industry dominance to occur again.

black_zion

They're not doing anything illegal, so no class action lawsuit would make it. Windows 7 and 8.1 are in "extended support" which means they are under no obligation to add new features, only security updates. As several articles have put it, Windows 7 makes Microsoft zero dollars. Windows 8.1 makes Microsoft a few dollars. Windows 10 makes Microsoft MILLIONS of dollars.

techguy

Actually the public's interest outweighs Microsoft's interest in coercing people to move to WIN10. Consumers who have paid for Win 7-8 are entitled to full O/S support thru 2020 - per MS's own website. Failing to support any new CPU is the equivalent of refusing to support other new hardware such as HDDs, printers, RAM, etc. and is unheard of and unreasonable. It doesn't matter if Win 7 makes Microsucks new money or not, Microsoft made plenty of money when they sold Win 7-8 to consumers with the understanding that it would be fully supported until 2020. You can bet the lawyers can force Microsoft to support all hardware released up to Jan 1, 2020. The DOJ doesn't look kindly on consumer exploitation.

black_zion

There's a difference between mainstream and extended support. Mainstream means the OS gets new features, extended means the OS only gets security updates.

techguy

We'll see just how the courts around the globe rule on Microsoft's arbitrary and unilateral refusal to properly support new software and hardware under the 2020 Win 7 O/S agreement. In the judicial system there is a "fair use" basis for consumer goods. Preventing Win 7-8 users from running newer Intel or AMD CPUs isn't going to fly in court. Apparently MS needs a reality check.

tomtalk24

Not really is it. Why should MS spend money and resources keeping the older OS' "going" when they have what they would call "a perfectly good, up-to-date, free upgradable OS"? I think you have the wrong idea of how a company is allowed to work and do work. You have alternatives.

We have all used extended support OS', so should have learned by now what that means for hardware support surely.

techguy

We'll see if the courts decide the public's interest outweighs MS's coercion for profit. The EU has sent MS several expensive memos and I'm certain they'd be glad to send them another. Businesses still have to operate within the laws of a country and "fair use" of a product. That's precisely why "fair use" as a judicial principle was established. It's certainly not like WIN10 is an upgrade to Win 7-8. MS doesn't have a good track record for quality, security nor support of their O/Ss. That's why enterprise refuses to upgrade to WIN10.

tomtalk24

Fair use when there is not other option is one thing, not even OSX  gets a slap on the wrist for that (PowerPC CPU). Buying a OS like Windows 7 knowing it is no longer on sale or is no longer per installed (October 2016 I think) or that that licence wont work on a newer build is another.

Tbh I cant see how Intel and AMD will bring out new hardware that isnt compatible be it instruction sets or whatever, when the Linux distros I use have mentioned nothing. And for Windows, the 98s and 7's are fairly relentless, I'm sure that community will find a way (not so much the 98s, long gone).

techguy

I don't know that anyone is buying Win 7-8 knowing that it won't be supported by MS for future CPUs or other hardware. MS is offering Intel 18 months on some CPU models so it's a no brainer to cover all hardware thru 2020 so consumers can decide if they desire to continue using Windows or switch to another O/S. There is a minor issue with Zen based CPUs running in Win 7-8 on touch screen systems but it isn't any different than how those systems function now. Time will tell but you can be certain MS will lose if they try to force the issue.

techguy

I don't believe that you have a "bad" CPU. At 4.0 GHz. you're looking at a 25% OC. The link below shows that to reach the Turbo 4 GHz. mode the CPU requires 1.4125v. I'd expect your CPU to require similar voltage in manual mode to run stable at 4.0 GHz. If it's P95 stable at 1.38v then you are doing very well and have a very good CPU.

There are many BIOS settings that impact OC'ing results and every CPU, mobo, RAM, etc. are different. With the FX-8350 I found HT = 1.25v, 2600 MHz.; 1.35v CPU-NB, 2600 MHz; 1.437v vcore to work well @ 4.7 GHz. for many but your results are likely to vary as there is no exact settings that work for all CPUs.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8320E.html

Keep an eye on your core temp as 61C under full load is the user max operating temp for the FX-8xxx series CPUs. The Box cooler was intended for a 95w low power CPU running at 3.2 GHz. A tower cooler will drop the temps considerably and is recommended if you're running close to 60C often.

retinal

I guess you're right. I didn't think that it would need so much more voltage. I always saw these crazy overclockings where they get up to 4.7GHz with these low voltages and felt like I was being robbed. There are probably worse copies out there.

I feel relieved. I'm happy now. Thanks.

techguy

Some folks are into photo shopping their OC results... If it sounds too good, it usually is. Usually nice overclocks at low vcore are from serious phase change type cooling.

Just as you experienced, the closer you get to the frequency limit of the processor, the bigger the step in voltage required to run at the slightly higher frequency. In addition some folks are happy to just post at some high frequency where as many of us who use our PCs for work, require P95 stability. You can get significantly higher clocks without P95 stability but you may get tired of crashes and lost data.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                                            foetopsy

motherboard is not very well suited for overclocking asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 cooling —Āorsair h110 MOD

uANfr4TWNOI.jpg