2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 7:26 AM by amdmatt

HD 7870 fan only working when set to 90-100%, lower than 85% it turns off completely.

chromek

Hi all,

I wasnt using my pc for some time, last time I upgraded to Crimson drivers i've noticed some problems with performance. Later on I've read that there were some fan problems in these drivers, but unfortunately I've been using it for some time. Now after a break I realised that my GPU fan is all the time turned off, even if it reports e.g. 30% speed. Only way to make it spin is to set it manually to 90-100%. At 85% it starts to turn on and off, lower than that its completely off.

What could be the cause? I've tried to swap the card to other slot on motherboard but problem is still the same. Im worried that it could be a cause of overheating during problems with drivers? I've uninstalled all drivers (also using DDU utility to clean it all) and reinstalled again the newest version but problem persists. Could it be problem with software, or is it related to hardware? It's kinda weird that fan can operate at 90% but can't do it at 30% rate...

Card model: Club 3D Radeon HD 7870

Windows 10 64 bit

Drivers

Crimson 16.1.1.

Thank you for any advices

Best regards,

Bartosz ChromiƄski