8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2016 8:54 AM by lutti

R9 200 series, problem with 1 game only

lutti

Evening everyone.

I got a new gfx a couple of weeks ago, and today I tried reinstalling a game I haven't played since my old gfx; Diablo 3!

As the game is done downloading, I click "play" in the b.net launcher and WHAM I'm met by a black screen with a blinking cursor but game sound is there and clearly the game itself is working (I can hear the intro trailer, and I can hear it reacts when I click escape and such)

So, I start googling for a solution and try, literally, hundreds of things (amongst that being on live chat with a Game Master from Blizzard for 1½ hour before I got too frustrated to continue - he suggested I should try make a post on here).. Here's the list of what we tried:

Reinstalling the battlenet app and renewing it's configuration files.

Double checking I am not overclocking. (definitely not the problem as I don't even know what or how to do that lol)

Modifying in the D3prefs file - Height/Width to match my monitor, along with toggling fullscreen and vsync.

Deleting the D3prefs file.

Scan/Repair on D3.

Setting D3.exe to compatibility mode.

Ensuring most recent video drivers are installed. (as well as tried older versions, before I contacted Blizzard)

Defragging my drive.

As well as a few other things like reinstalling the battle.net app, the game itself (3 times in total!!) and deleting a few blizzard-folders

Game master, at the end, suggested the following: setting up a new admin user and installing the game there, ensure that Secondary Logon is enabled (whatever the hell that means - he put a link in an email for me ), starting computer in selective startup mode and last suggestion was to post on here

As a very last resort, he suggested completely reinstalling my computer which there is no way in hell I'm doing for a game I know I'll get sick of within a few weeks! lol (plus it'd take of rest of my available data; I'm on a mobile broadband, with 200GB limit per month and I already used at least 50 on trying to fix this damn problem)

I have not had 'any' problems with 'any' other games whatsoever since the new gfx, and I've played quite a few! WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Sims 3+4, SWTOR, Civ V, and probably quite a few others I've unstalled long ago 'cause they were boring

Not sure if it's got something to do with it but my AMD Gaming Evolved keeps saying something about a new available driver, 16.1.1, but when I click the link, it just goes to the 15.12 site??

• Re: R9 200 series, problem with 1 game only
          lutti

I just tried making a new user and also the seconday logon thing. Neither worked unfortunately. I read up on selective startup via Battle.net's support site which states the selective startup has something to do with my connection reaching them, and it's most definitely not that lol..

tomtalk24

Interesting, I have just seen this issue being asked about, but worse.

Ignore Raptr, they need to update it as its telling everyone the same thing.

The best bet now is to report, the more people the better, and revert to the last driver that worked. As the game has only just been installed, its unlikely you will know of one and will just use more data. So report, and wait for a fix in the release notes. Sadly the issue seems to be with Windows 10 and Crimson.

lutti

I think you misunderstand tomtalk24 - first off, I don't see what Raptr has to do with anything?? I uninstalled Raptr weeks ago

Also, 'no' driver has worked with Diablo 3, I tried the newest, the 15.11 one, 15.7.1 and 15.7 - only thing that's worked was my old graphic card, with the same driver as my new graphic card. I did not have any problems with my old graphic card at all, also no problem with 'any' other game whatsoever

tomtalk24

AMD Gaming Evolved is just a re skinned Raptr, you wasn't sure if AMD Gaming Evolved telling you a new driver is available, going to the wrong site had anything to do with it.

I did misread the black screen, I missed the sound and courser part. So this issue isn't related to what I have just read My bad.

So this is just an isolated issue with that game and that card. I see that the game has no need for DirectX, I doubt there are any redistributions the game has not installed? Your GPU is supported. And the new user trick didn't work.

What version of the 200 series do you have? And OS currently in use.

tomtalk24

It seems like that game has had this issue for some time, Mac and PC, Intel, NVidia and AMD...

BLACK SCREEN at startup - Forums - Diablo III

lutti

No I already know about that issue - I had it with the card I had prior to the previous one (does that make sense? lol I have my current card which isn't working, then before that I had a card that worked just fine, then before that I had one with the problem in that post you linked ) and that problem was different; it was black screen with no way of closing the D3 client, you couldn't even tab out of the game and it'd black screen whether you normally played in windowed or fullscreen mode.. You had to hardreset it every time you opened the game (and sometimes it'd even let you play for a bit, then just suddenly do it when you transported to certain areas in the game)

lutti

Shouldn't have anything to do with the game not installing everything no. I've never had to in the past, and the game master didn't suggest anything else needed to be downloaded and/or updated besides graphic card driver (which I had of course already tried long before I contacted Blizzard's support lol)

I must admit I'm not sure what you mean by which version of the 200 series I have? (the card was a gift and was installed for me and everything lol didn't even know there was more to it than it being a Radeon R9 200 )

I run Windows 10 64-bit

lutti

Bumping this as I still need help if anybody got any suggestions