AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon HD 5650 Artefacting Issue - Get bands of strange fragments across the screen, usually following wake from screen sleep mode

Question asked by daniellegrace on Feb 16, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 by daniellegrace

Can someone help diagnose an artefacting issue with my Radeon HD 5650? I have been getting bands of strange fragments across the screen, usually following awake from screen hibernate mode (hard drive does not hibernate). (See pictures.)

Important notes (I think:)

- I have an HP Envy 14 laptop with 6 GB RAM, an i5 Intel processor running at 3.53 GHz, running Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1. Recently I changed the HD from Optical to SSD.

- The graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5650

- I run an external monitor - Dell U2412M

- The bands of fragments seem to be made of icons for programs that are running and other graphic elements from the corners of the screen.

- The behaviour usually occurs following wake from black screen sleep mode - my hard drive does not go to sleep

- It seems worse when I've been working for a long time and the laptop is hot (I think I need a fan replacement but that is pushing my questionable DIY skills)

- Once you refresh the screen (Minimize and restore a program) the fragments go away

Let me know if there's other info I could provide to help diagnose - I saw someone having a similar issue when running Linux but I couldn't find anything just like this in the forums. Thanks!

Outcomes