0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 10:03 AM by markc45

Laptop screen works for boot only HDMI/VGA output works fine

markc45

Hi All

I have scoured for AGES to find an answer for this but my issue is a little different to anything I have seen so far:

Start off my laptop:
      ASUS N61Ja-A1 Specs - CNET

So my laptop is working fine until I update the graphics drivers...

When I boot up the laptop it posts and displays normally (Back light working fine) up until where it would usually say "Welcome" (Windows 7) where I get a completely blank screen.

When I boot up with an HDMI or VGA monitor attached, it displays on those all the way through fine and my laptop is usable... all the while I still have a black screen on my laptop...
      HOWEVER... When I shine a light on the black screen (as if checking for a busted back light) I can see my desktop, even though the back light works fine.

The laptop is still registering the screen as being attached and functional but I have no display.

If I boot in safe mode everything is fine...

If I roll-back my graphics drivers everything goes back to normal and I have a screen again....

So from the troubleshooting we know the screen is fine as is the graphics card...

I have tried installing and un-installing the drivers as well different versions and even a fresh OS install.

Still no joy... I have been working on this problem on and off for literally over 2 years. I even went out and bought a new laptop because I was sick of it.

Now I need to fix it because mum needs a new laptop... Please help