3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 12:10 PM by techguy

How do I enable turbo core to go to 2,1 GHz (or above 1,8 GHz) with an a8-7100 (1,8 GHz to 3,0 GHz)?

lawruiz

So I've just recently bought a laptop ( Acer Aspire E5-551G-81YN Notebook, AMD A8, 39,6 cm (15,6 Zoll), 1000 GB Speicher, 8192 MB DDR3-RAM online kaufen | OTTO ) and I was so happy to have a laptop, with which I can play games with good performance. Unfortunately the processor doesn't go above 1.8 GHz when playing. I have tried to use AMD OverDrive but when I had clicked at the Turbo Core Settings and set the maximum to 2.1 GHz, nothing happend except that the Turbo Core Settings were locked from this moment. After this didn't work, I tried moving up the multiplicator from 18x to 19x, 20x and 21x but when I clicked apply it always went back to 18x. Then I tried to get it down to 17x (which would be 1.7 GHz) and then my Laptop crashed and when I restarted it, OverDrive was still open and everything and then I changed it back to 18x (when it restarted it was quite slow, I guess 1.7 GHz is just a bit to low for the computer).

I really need your help now, because I would love to appreciate more than only 1.8 GHz. I could have bought one that had an intel i5 with 2.something GHz but I didn't because I thought this one can even get to 3.0 GHz (in case I ever needed that). I really don't understand why the Turbo Core settings didn't work and were locked after I used them on OverDrive.

The feeling grows, that I have done a huge mistake here.

Do I maybe have to give it more V to use the turbo core properly? (I guess it stands for Volt. At least I could give my cpu more "V" on OverDrive.)

Thanks in advance!    I would so much appreciate a solution!

Specs =3

Processor:       AMD A8-7100 1.80 GHz; Turbo CORE Technologie up to 3.00 GHz - Quad Core - 4 MB L2 Cache

RAM:                8192 MB DDR3-RAM

Disk Space:     1000GB SATA

Graphics:         AMD Radeon R7 M265 with 2GB VRAM

• Re: How do I enable turbo core to go to 2,1 GHz (or above 1,8 GHz) with an a8-7100 (1,8 GHz to 3,0 GHz)?
          amdmatt

This is expected behaviour as the OEM, Acer, has limited the TDP of the Carrizo CPU to 19W. I would recommend contacting them for assistance with this as the TDP is only configurable by the OEM.

Similar behaviour was experienced in this review on a different system.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: How do I enable turbo core to go to 2,1 GHz (or above 1,8 GHz) with an a8-7100 (1,8 GHz to 3,0 GHz)?
            techguy

There are a few details to understand in addition to Acer limiting the APU performance by setting the TDP to 19w. Turbo mode on all AMD processors only functions when the processor is under medium loads, not under full load. AMD has created a complicated thermal algorithm that allows the processor to provide the best performance based on the processors temp and load. This dynamic frequency is both load and temp dependent. As such the processor frequency can and will change often with varying loads and temps. When the cores are under heavy load such as with graphics or video games, the processor will default to the base frequency or potentially lower if the GPU section of an APU is running hot.

In regards to using AOD for system changes, my experience has been that it's better to make the changes in the BIOS instead of using software. If your BIOS is locked by design, then AOD or other software may not be able to change most settings. It's important to understand that increasing the Turbo mode frequency will NOT improve system performance under full load, as the Turbo modes are employed under moderate loads only.

I like many other AMD customers are on record as being very unhappy with the laptop makers castrating Carrizo APU performance. This foolishness prevented me and many other AMD customers from buying a new Carrizo laptop.  AMD might want to go back to locked TDP settings on the next gen of APUs because many laptop makers have no clue what consumers desire in laptop performance.

1 of 1 people found this helpful