6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 11:46 PM by xeleron

Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB OC Windforce Crashes to Desktop While Playing Certain Games

livingrasputin

Hi all.

This help request comes as a last resort on this problem, which has been bugging me for days. I have recently bought my Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB OC Windforce and everything seemed to be fine at a certain extent (despite the loud noise). Nevertheless, I have decided to resume my campaign on Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, when this happened: after 10-15 minutes, the game suddenly crashed for no longer than a second, and a black screen came on, after another second, my computer has brought me back to my desktop, and however the game's sound was still playing, the game window was totally frozen, letting me do nothing else than closing it through task manager. Then, I have acknowledged  that the very same happens every single time I try to run this game.

I've decided to test all of my other games; the exact same happens to: Injustice: Gods Among Us, and more recently, Grand Theft Auto 4 and Grand Theft Auto Episodes From Liberty City. I have tried everything related to graphic configuration; Set the resolutions down, Textures, Light, Shadows and effects just as low, made sure my AMD drivers are up to date, and the problem still persists. The obvious conclusion: "I have a faulty GPU!", however, I have decided to test it with much havier games, and for my surprise, titles such as Grand Theft Auto 5 and Shadow of Mordor (All High Settings and 1920x1080 resolution) works just perfectly fine and I can play them for hours and hours without a problem and with a flawless 45-55 FPS rate, and 50-60º C (GPU temperature).

The GPU has been tested in a different computer (my cousin's), and the issue is still there. Today, the games mentioned above (MGS V, Injustice, GTA 4 and EFLC) all worked 100% free of problems when tested with a Zotac Nvidia GT740 in my own computer.

If anyone has any ideas, hints, guesses or previously known troubleshootings, I would dearly appreciate, for as my frustration over this GPU grows up and up, I'm getting ready to request a replacement from the reseller, which, since I'm in Brazil, I know isn't going to be easy. Thank you.

System Specs:

Case: Xtrike New Soldier Case

PSU: Bluecase 500W

CPU: AMD A8 6600K Black Edition 3.9GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-S1 Socket FM2

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

Hard Disk: 700GB

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB OC Windforce

• Re: Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB OC Windforce Crashes to Desktop While Playing Certain Games
          amdmatt

What AMD driver version are you using at the moment? I would recommend trying Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta to see if that resolves the crashing.

• Re: Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 2GB OC Windforce Crashes to Desktop While Playing Certain Games
              livingrasputin

At the moment I'm using 16.1 catalyst driver (I have previsouly tried the beta 16.1.1). However, perhaps I have been getting closer to an answer; just yesterday, I have read someone online saying crashing problems may then and there have something to do with power supplies, then I have tried to run my games, besides the lowest quality graphic features, In window mode. The result: My GPU was running 20 celsius colder, and the crash, never happened.

It seems Gigabyte Radeon R7 360 demands a 500w PSU at the very least to function, and that is exactly what I have. Maybe the GPU isn't getting enough power ? That would make a lot of sense, but if so, it is still very odd, to see how the problem was gradual. Further testing would have to be done in order to claim it as the actual reason, unfortunately, I don't have access to a stronger power supply at the moment to use it with.

Thank you very much for responding and answering amdmatt, I will make sure I give your solution a try and come up with results very soon.

livingrasputin

Pardon me for the delay on coming back with a result, I have actually bought a new PSU in order to make new tests; the issue, sadly, still persists with the catalyst 15.11.1 beta driver.

The new PSU I have acquired is a Corsair 750W 80 Plus Bronze, however, to my mostly horrible surprise, it hasn't solved anything.

I'm so frustrated with my Radeon R7 360 by now, as I can't think of any but a few possible reasons for this issue; I have recently realized that it takes longer to crash when gaming with lower resolutions (from 1280 to 1366 pixels).

My next step is to test a different monitor with a different native resolution, though I have no idea of what to do next, any suggestions?

livingrasputin

I guess I have sorted out some of the problem - I could say 80% of the problem -, I was browsing around the internet and came across this thread on native CPU overclocking inside the MOBO bios, and the information that some people have solved this issue by desabling this feature; I have then checked mine, but no overclock was apparent to be active. Back into windows, under Control Panel>Energy Options, I have changed from high performance to Balanced, the result: excitingly, all games started to work with no crashes whatsoever, BUT, only in low resolutions. Anything above 1600p causes games to crash, even when they are running almosrt flawlessly at a 60 FPS rate and low temperature.

Now my question would be: How to keep my system from crashing the video driver while playing with high resolutions ?

livingrasputin

I guess I have sorted out some of the problem - I could say 80% of the problem -, I was browsing around the internet and came across this thread on native CPU overclocking inside the MOBO bios, and the information that some people have solved this issue by desabling this feature; I have then checked mine, but no overclock was apparent to be active. Back into windows, under Control Panel>Energy Options, I have changed from high performance to Balanced, the result: excitingly, all games started to work with no crashes whatsoever, BUT, only in low resolutions. Anything above 1600p causes games to crash, even when they are running almosrt flawlessly at a 60 FPS rate and low temperature.

Now my question would be: How to keep my system from crashing the video driver while playing with high resolutions ?

xeleron

To me it seems you have a dying GPU.If it fails only high details and resolutions,it fails because the video engine is pushed harder.Can your GPU sustain a furmark benchmark/3Dmark?