17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2016 9:01 AM by hardcoregames™

Windows 7 - Display driver stopped responding

bartbart

For the past 2 months my computer has been crashing (at random) by displaying a black screen for a second or 2 before

either crashing the game I was playing or resuming it just so it could do the same again after a few more seconds

(it does run smoothly again for another 10 - 20 minutes after that).

If I alt+tab while it's doing this I am greeted with the message that "my driver has stopped responding and recovered",

I've googled this error and tried most of the solutions on the site of AMD, but I still have the same errors.

(How to troubleshoot “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered”, ATIKMDAG.sys type errors)

It's not like I'm playing games that it can't run properly because it does this with every game that isn't either an indie game or made before 2006.

I recently upgraded my pc with the following parts and it's been crashing ever since, it used to work fine before.

Processor

-     AMD Athlon(tm) X4 860K Quad Core Processor
      Video Card

-     AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
      Operating System:

-     Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

I've added 8gb of RAM and my pc is running a clean Windows 7 64bit.

The last driver I installed was the 'Crimson Edition 16.1.1 Beta', in my AMD Radeon Settings it says '15.301.1801.1001.160203a-299103E' however.

The thing I've noticed with driver versions is that the more recent ones seem to crash more frequently, yet it still crashes on older drivers.