5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 3:47 PM by techguy

AMD A8-4500M downclock

feleon2

Hello to all AMD users. I have a big problem. My processor is downclocking itself while gaming.

I tried to set the power plan to high performance, update all the drivers, but the problem persists. I don't have much settings in bios to disable Cool'n'Quiet or anything of these.

Some people told me to play the games on battery, but the processor still downclocks. What can I do to solve this? This start happening 2 weeks ago, I didn't have this problem before.

I reinstalled my Windows and the problem is still here. In idle mode, the CPU usage it at 2-3%, but while gaming, after 10 minutes it goes to 100%. The temp are fine so it shouldn't downclock.

I am using a Lenovo g505s, can you help me, please? I am desperate, I can't play anything. The stock frequency is 1,9Ghz, but using AMD Turbo Core it goes to 2,3Ghz in idle. The

processor is downclocking only in gaming, and it goes to 1,8Ghz, even under the stock frequency.

• Re: AMD A8-4500M downclock
          techguy

What CPU core temps are you seeing under heavy gaming? Turbo mode is only for when the cores are modestly loaded, not for heavy loads like gaming. Under heavy loads the APU will default to the base frequency or lower depending on the temp of the APU. The more graphics intense the more heat and the greater potential to lower the CPU frequency. Have you checked your CPU cooler for dust and made sure the fan is running at full speed under heavy load? I would also recommend contacting Lenovo tech support to see if other customers are experiencing the same issue. There might be a BIOS issue if everything else is proper including operating temp under full load for ten minutes or more.

feleon2

The temps are fine, I told you, somewhere at 60C-70C. The fan is running at full speed, I can hear it, it's like a helicopter. I am not using only the APU because I have a dedicated R5 M230 from AMD too, and I am using the Dual-Graphics Technology. I checked the cooler for dust, it's completly clean. If it's a BIOS issue, how can I solve this? It's happening even in small games like NFS Underground 1, the processor goes to 800Mhz. I must say I don't have many options in my BIOS, it's kind of simple BIOS. I am using Windows 7 x64 and before I used Windows 8.1 x64, but I had the same problem on Windows 8.1. I tried to update the bios and same. Can you help me?

techguy

The reason I asked about the CORE temp is because many applets do not show the internal CPU core temp, they show the CPU socket temp as "CPU temp", which is often higher than the core temp by 10C-25C depending on load and duration. I wanted to make sure that you are reading the core temp not socket temp. The fan speed should be high/loud with heavy loads such as gaming because the HSF is tiny in a laptop so it needs to spin fast to cool the processor.

If the APU is dropping to 800 MHz. under full load then there could be a mobo VRM overheating issue. That would mean returning the laptop for servicing/warranty. I'd definitely talk to Lenovo tech support on this. Unless they have a BIOS fix for this you might be forced to return the laptop for repair.

feleon2

How can I check the core temps? Core temp is not showing me much thing.. only the max temperature. THE APU is not dropping to 800MHZ cause I am using

the dedicated card, the CPU is dropping. I tried to play some DotA2 today and it's unplayable. I can't return this to servicing cause it's a second hand laptop and I don't have the box and other thing of the laptop. I will talk to Lenovo for this. My father is expert on computers, what exactly he should fix on the mobo? While playing dota2 the processor is somewhere at 60%, so it's not full load, it should run fine, but it doesn't. Any help?

techguy

When I referred to the APU dropping to 800 MHz. I was talking the CPU section in particular. If the CPU section of your APU is dropping to 800 MHz. under full load and the CPU/APU temp is within the design parameters, then you may have a VRM issue. The VRM is the voltage regulator module (VRM), that supplies the power to the CPU/APU. These VRM circuits are designed to operate within a specific temp range just like a processing. If the processor is drawing a lot of power continuously for a long period of time such as with gaming, the VRM can drop the vcore voltage to the CPU/APU and the frequency will drop accordingly. After the VRM cools for awhile at the lower frequency, it will once again increase the frequency for a short period of time until it overheats again and then drop down again to 800 MHz. to cool off. it will continue this cyclical pattern to protect the VRM from burning up.

You might be able to use the applet OCCT to record the vcore, CPU frequency and temps while gaming to see if the frequency is dropping in relationship to CPU load with normal temps under full load. This would suggest a VRM that is either malfunctioning or inadequate for the power demands of the CPU/APU. If the VRM is bad then your father may be able to determine which mobo VRM components are bad and replace them. If the circuit design is just insufficient for the CPU/APU then your father would need to redesign the VRM or possibly install higher capacity components. Without an oscilloscope and some VRM component tech data it's difficult to determine what exactly is happening.