9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 8:50 AM by cengizengin

My fans won't work below 80% - Saphire R9 280x Dual X

techmarine

For a bit less than a year I had this problem, but at first it was only when I played demanding games. Then it went to mediocre games and now if I am just browsing the internet.

Basically the problem is that, fans don't work and when the graphics card heats up to 80° then they work like crazy. Before that they had a set minimum and the GPU never over heated. However for the life of me I can't figure out when or why did they start to work differently.

At first I thought the GPU was dirty, but after a thorough clean up and observation it is definitely something to do with software. I deleted MSI Afterburner, "reset-ed" Bios to default and re-installed my GPU drivers. But it is still the same. I'd rather not have to download some third party software to set a manual speed, I simply want my GPU do to it alone as it did when I bought it. that means it worked on a small speed (I mean the fans) and if need be it increased the RPM, but that was never necessary.

AMD Global drive shows that my fan is working bellow 80% and that it gradually it increases as the temp does, but I am looking at the fans and they are simply not spinning!

The only time I could manually change fan speed below 80% is after installing the drivers but before the necessary reboot. And I have the latest crimson driver beta.

Windows 8.1 64 bit

• Re: My fans won't work below 80% - Saphire R9 280x Dual X
          tomtalk24

Download HWiNFO, open the Sensor Status page and look for your GPU. Manually set your fan using Crimson at 10% intervals. If you can confirm 0RPM up until the fan receives 80% power, set it back to 20% and try turning the fan slightly with your finger. If its at all stiff you will need to contact Sapphire as they built your GPU. If its out of warranty you may need to repair or replace the fan yourself.

Its likely this is just a bearing issue, but again if it wont spin with ease either with your finger or a puff of air its the bearing.

techmarine

They can spin below 80% of that I am sure off, but in order to do that I have to manually set them above 80% and then go down. But even than they just kind of stop after a while and let the card heat up, and I unless I set the fan status back to auto on Radeon Settings, they just stand there while my card heats up.

I can also push them with my fingers with ease.

I also have no software called "crimson" although I downloaded the Crimson Drivers. Another thing HWiNFO detects RPM above 0 although the fans are not moving as does the Radeon Settings.

tomtalk24

Crimson is the latest version of the GPU settings software, technically its called Radeon Crimson Settings.

This is looking to be hardware fault.

Its still possible its bearing, taking 9.6 volts to start it would suggest being too stiff but I guess if you can spin it fine. The can be lubricated,

We can test the PWM part of the fan, this is the signal it gets to speed up or slow down. It would mean using small electronics jumper cables female to male, one on the fan plug, the other to a fan socket on the mobo. Then see if the fan is working right not needing much voltage to start. With the fan sending RPM signals when its not moving, it would suggest it might be faulty.

Do you think your issue is similar to this... HD7850 Fan Only Spins at 90%+ Speed

techmarine

Well as I said, the fans are capable of spinning below 80% so I guess to some degree my issue is similar but not the same.

[quote]

Its still possible its bearing, taking 9.6 volts to start it would suggest being too stiff but I guess if you can spin it fine. The can be lubricated,

We can test the PWM part of the fan, this is the signal it gets to speed up or slow down. It would mean using small electronics jumper cables female to male, one on the fan plug, the other to a fan socket on the mobo. Then see if the fan is working right not needing much voltage to start. With the fan sending RPM signals when its not moving, it would suggest it might be faulty. [/quote]

But about this I am not sure, I mean what am I supposed to do and can I even do it.

tomtalk24

I see, then your local PC guy, or a claim on the warranty

I cant think of how the drivers can stop the fans or fail to start them? To confirm in Crimson when set to auto, and the % is rising with temp. The fans are still stationary? Are you able to post screenshots of Crimson in auto and its % and HWiNFO's report on the RPM, before it needs turning up manually to 80%, and when it stops when its at a lower auto %.

The other problem is, AMD make the chip, not the card. So the issue is in fact with Sapphire.

goodplay

By "deleted" afterburner, you mean un-installed ?. Tried Trixx.

Do you Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers , when you update.

Have you tried GPU-Z render test.

I believe we have a sapphire rep vapor-x ,may be able to assist.

cengizengin

Hello techmarine, did you find a solution to your problem?