AnsweredAssumed Answered

My fans won't work below 80% - Saphire R9 280x Dual X

Question asked by techmarine on Feb 13, 2016
Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 by cengizengin

For a bit less than a year I had this problem, but at first it was only when I played demanding games. Then it went to mediocre games and now if I am just browsing the internet.

Basically the problem is that, fans don't work and when the graphics card heats up to 80° then they work like crazy. Before that they had a set minimum and the GPU never over heated. However for the life of me I can't figure out when or why did they start to work differently.

At first I thought the GPU was dirty, but after a thorough clean up and observation it is definitely something to do with software. I deleted MSI Afterburner, "reset-ed" Bios to default and re-installed my GPU drivers. But it is still the same. I'd rather not have to download some third party software to set a manual speed, I simply want my GPU do to it alone as it did when I bought it. that means it worked on a small speed (I mean the fans) and if need be it increased the RPM, but that was never necessary.

AMD Global drive shows that my fan is working bellow 80% and that it gradually it increases as the temp does, but I am looking at the fans and they are simply not spinning!

The only time I could manually change fan speed below 80% is after installing the drivers but before the necessary reboot. And I have the latest crimson driver beta.

Windows 8.1 64 bit

Outcomes