2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2016 4:18 AM by tomtalk24

Salt fever, but with overclocking. Enable Turbo Core with AOD.

tomtalk24

Scenario...

I was getting a few FF codes on my mobo, thought it was my CPU getting worn. So lowered the overclock slightly for a few months. Sent the mobo back to ASUS for repair. Got a totally brand new mobo, accessories, door hanger, the lot. Brilliant company. Overclocking my CPU again and its working fine, got it back up to my maximum stable overclock of 4.75GHz with a 250MHz bus and x19 multiplier. Lovely.

Problem...

I want to take advantage of Turbo Core for the sake of single core boosting. My (and it think most) BIOS lets you choose whatever Boost Level 2 multiplier you want, but Boost Level 1 is locked to x20. So this isn't an option I can enable without going over 5GHz on Boost Level 2, its a tad too high and I don't think she could handle it.

AOD, I normally avoid it. But have seen discussions claiming its most accurate with temp readings. And it has the option to choose Boost Level 1 and 2 multiplier, perfect.

I seem to be getting some very contradictory readings....

AOD Wrong.PNG

AOD Wrong 2.PNG

All of AOD's readings are all over the shop, where as HWiNFO looks more consistent to what I'm used to.

I don't want AOD to set clocks or especially voltages, just don't trust it.

So when I load AOD, enable and setup turbo core and save the profile. My guess is as I haven't changed anything other than Turbo Core, it will read whatever voltages and clocks I have set In the BIOS (currently in use), and when the profile is saved those settings are saved too? Even though its telling me "Target Voltage" for the CPU is 1.35v, bus is 200MHz etc?

Also, AOD wont re apply the profile made on boot? Is this a Windows 10 issue at all? I have selected "Apply my last setting when system boots", set the profile as Default etc.

--------------------------------------

I'm struggling to understand whats going on here, whats wrong and whats right. Who to trust and what to ignore. So any feedback or suggestions would be really helpful with my issue.

And, can anyone tell me of something I can stress test Turbo Core with. I'm stable without it, but cant tell with it enabled. General trial and error is an option.

Thank you

• Re: Salt fever, but with overclocking. Enable Turbo Core with AOD.
          techguy

You can get variations in data from the same PC depending on the sampling rate of the applet and any rounding in the applet. AOD should show the same CPU temps as HWiNFO as they use the same temp register output and conversion. AMD Engineering has confirmed that these particular applets are reasonably accurate in the 60C-70C range. Lower temps can be off significantly such as at ambient room temp because only AMD Engineering is using the proper algorithm to read CPU core temps. So even negative CPU temps have been seen at lower temps.

As far as stress testing an individual core in Turbo core mode for stability, that's likely to be impossible unless you have some of the sophisticated equipment that AMD has. The reason being you need to know the thermal algorithm AMD has programmed into the CPU and then find a means to control the core load within the design parameters. What AMD does is set a specific frequency and vcore voltage for each Turbo or power saver mode state. The CPU temp and load determine if the CPU will use these optional power states and frequencies. If you knew the criteria for power state P+1and had some means to establish those parameters in your system, you'd only be able to test stability for a short period of time measured in seconds before the CPU temp exceeded the programmed algorithm and changed to a different power state. By having dynamic power states/frequencies for a CPU/APU the power states change constantly with the goal of achieving the best system performance while staying within a specified TDP.

It's worth noting however that Turbo mode P+1 and P+2 use higher vcore voltages than the default P-0 vcore voltage used under full load. Thus if you have no stability issues under 100% CPU load tests like with P95, OCCT or similar, then there is a slim chance of having a stability issue with the slight frequency boost in P+1 turbo mode as the CPU vcore is increased to P+1 to insure stability. You would be far more likely to see stability issues when the CPU is under 100% load at the lower default P-0 vcore than with a minimal load at a slightly higher frequency than the base frequency.

I personally prefer to make all system changes via the BIOS as software interfaces have been known to cause issues including stability.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • Re: Salt fever, but with overclocking. Enable Turbo Core with AOD.
              tomtalk24

Thanks for this.

OCCT has given me a thumbs up, and now It seems I have stability with TC too, running and X game for a good few hours last night, monitoring p+1 at a constant and p+2 poking away as expected. I have tried to keep these VID close to what they are at 4.75GHz.

I would love it if I could set both of these in the BIOS, practically as everything else has been set from there. It odd as even if someone just used the multiplier to OC then TurboCore would still clock back to x20 for p+1. The temps seem to be behaving, but for the sake of 0.% performance gain, I think a little more trial and error is needed. It might be a sign considering it wont re apply at boot.