10 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2016 11:56 AM by sgagrx

why does black screen occur?

retiredamder

I have read many posts dating back a year or so about the black screen problem, in several versions of windows with various cpu and gpu combinations. Many apparent fixes, but never and real solid reason why it helps. Any given fix works for some but not for others. I run crossfire with matched R260x MSI cards and a  pure AMD system ( as possible) have another brand of good memory as I ran out of cash and AMD Radeon is out of my budget still. I wonder is it due to page swapping error? Crossfire method? There must be some underlying reason that would make sense. Yet it alludes me. The last time I had the issue It just went away one day and now it is back. I never saw it until I put the Win 10 Pro on the system and It has been install 5 times and the last 3 times were clean reinstall, and 2 on a new hard drive. I downloaded fresh install setup before my last install, yesterday. The problem appears to be worse today than  yesterday. I fear it will continue to degrade. Any hard evidence for a real reason would be greatly appreciated. The Windows 10 boards are a major waste of time with people answering for points, with stupid comments and worthless information. I have confidence that real conversations can and do occur here.

• Re: why does black screen occur?
          sgagrx

I am having the same issue. Just bought a Acer Freeysnc XR341CK and getting random blacks daily for about 1.5 seconds each. They happen very random. Some days twice a day, sometimes more. I have tried all versions of CCC readign the forums, from 15.7 all the way to latest but same. These issues do not occur when i plug it into my HDTV via HDMI even when using latest crimson drivers. Once i plug it into my 4k monitor thats where the issue starts.I even tried clockblocker which took away the the symptoms temporarily but came back. MSI afterBurner just makes it even worse. I paid 1000 dollars for this freesync monitor and would love to enjoys games on it. Many people said they have RMA'd their monitors more than twice and got back the same issue. So im sure this is a driver related issue. I will await AMD for some fixes or a solution before i try to RMAing my monitor.

sgagrx

Crimson 16.2 and the DP 1.2 cable that actually came with my monitor is now working as should. Running windows 10 Home, i7 4930K 3.4GHz, 32GBs RAM, ASUS AMD R9 290X and Acer XR341CK ( Very Happy. Wow its qrazy how cables and drives get along. I have switches various cables and drivers and nothing worked for a a moth or 2 and now finally this driver and original cable are awesome. Want to come back and thank AM for listening and i hope all the other users are getting the same results. STOP RMAing all you products. Its 4K and DP 1.2 so PATIENCE is KEY. Looking forward forward for more optimized drives in the future AMD. Thanks AMD Matt for helping out and all.

waltc

Well said!  People are far too quick to make absurd assumptions and jump to ridiculous conslusions and so on (eg, "My GPU drivers melted my GPU and burned down my house," etc.) Most problems can be solved with patience and a willingness to learn.

dongca

I have the same problem. I have Powercolor R9 270 Turboduo with Windows 10 Pro. It happens several days ago. I have reseted Windows 10 pro to fresh. The problem happens when I install the driver Crimson Edition 15.12 or some other old version. The srceen is black and the keyboard is no action. I reset my PC but is black screen whenever the Windows logo is disapear.

If I use the default windows 10 graphic card driver the problem do not happen but the perfomance is very very bad.

Please help me to fix the problem.

sgagrx

I would advise you to keeo whatever version of winso 10 you are running i am running Home. Download the latest AMD uninstall utility, CC Cleaner and DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run the AMD uninstall first let it do its thing. Reboot. Then runn DDU( it will hask you to reebot in safe mode) do so. Run that tool once back in windows. Run CC Cleaner Registry and clear your registry errors with the tool. Now install 16.2 Crimson, make sure all ur DP 1.2 cable is in tack and let me know how it does. GOOD luck Brother!

fatcamper

I am having issues with my Dp 1.2 and Acer B286hk. I have only been able to get the Dp 1.2 and 60 hz to work a hand full of times. Once working sleep, restart, ect... will cause a black screen and forced to change the monitor back to DP 1.1. Also should note that Dp 1.2 works fine without AMD drivers installed, and will get black screen during install. Have had this problem for months and had a glimmer of hope after reading this forum... I also have tried many other fixes.

on startup black screen once windows starts just after first splash screen...

D.M.

sgagrx

So after months of trying, different cables, drivers etc i found the solution for most of you in the same boat as me. For one, the drivers are Definitely getting better and helping the performance. But after going down multiple posts and forums daily i saw a post to switch Display port mode to 1.1 in the Monitor settings. I am currently using a curved 4K monitor from Acer with DP 1.2. AFter going into my monitors setting and switching it from DP 1.2 to DP 1.1 the monitor is working like it should and not blinking and having random black out at all, also still remaining at 75hz stable so this wont affect your resolution or refresh rate. So my advise..go into to monitor and make that switch. Let me know if this worked for you guys because it did for me and im assuming we are all on the same page here in terms of the black out issue. Good luck!