BIOS 5.43  2008

Not UEFI compatible

500 PSU

8 gig of ram

Will be installing windows 7 home premium

New ssd 250 g

secondary 1 terabyte drive.

Intel duo quad core Q6600 @2.4GHz

I have an nvidia geforce 210 that is dying.

Thanks!

PBP

• Re: I am looking for a graphic card that is compatable with my HP m 9047c
          tomtalk24

You have PCIe x16, so technically anything would work. But depends on the quality of everything else, mainly the PSU and the rails you have on offer.

Now what I have found on HP's website, your PC has a 300w PSU, so I likely have the wrong model. If you can post a link to your PC that would help us. Also as HP haven't documented the PSU for that PC, they may not for yours. So you will need to poke inside. We need a free 12v 5v ground ground cable with nothing else attached, or ideally a PCIe 6/6+2 pin cable.

Maybe post what make and model the PSU is.

So yeah the PSU make and model and a link to HPs site for your PC. We can go from there. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              pbp

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

This is my machine. HP Pavilion Elite m9047c Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I have already installed a 500W EVGA 80 plus power supply. I know for sure that I do have the PCIe 6/6+2 available.

I have also installed 8 gig of Corsair ram

Pending installation is:

250 gig solid state drive Samsung brand

1 terabyte WD hard drive

Windows 7 home premium OEM bought it a year ago but never installed.

I am backing up all my files now on an external hard drive.

Thanks again!

tomtalk24

Look at that, exciting times.

Just to confirm your PSU only has the one PCIe cable. We can point you in the direction of a GPU needing one or two separate cables depending on this.

Are you planning to go further on the upgrades in the future, only a DDR2 mobo and the CPU itself will become a bottleneck and you could end up spending a fair bit of money on a GPU that cant ever be used to its maximum ability. If you plan on keeping those components, we can suggest something to complement your system. If you will upgrade in the future and would rather not need to upgrade the GPU again, we can suggest something future safe, and compatible for now.

pbp

The psu has 2 PCIe cables. When I move to Windows 7 I will set up as a 64 bit. I  am not a gamer so high end /high expense  is not what I am looking for slight upgrade would  be nice. I am considering this a trial run  for the future if I decide to build my own  machine.

When I get to that point I will probably get more current parts.

Thanks again

xeleron

Your q6600 is able to handle every game on the market right now with medium settings at full Hd resolution,despite it's age.You can safely buy an r9 380X and use it,the psu will be fine and the card is quite powerful,so you could keep the card in case you decide to upgrade to a newer platform.If you want somethinkg lower,go for the r 360 or r7 250x.

tomtalk24

Grand, I'm going to list a couple of ideas for you from my favourite PC shopping site. By all means shop from somewhere relevant to you.

AMD R7 250 cheap and cheerful, might be just what your looking for. This come with a 3 year warranty. Its up-to-date, compatible. Very quiet and uses little electricity. Ignoring all the branding like "military class" it is slow for gaming. But again your not looking to use it for that. It comes with a DVI, HDMI and the very old but useful VGA connection. So will work on older monitors (VGA) or even your TV (HDMI) and newer monitors if you ever find the need. It has GCN so its ready for todays software.

This GPU I think wont even need a power cable, but uses the power from your motherboard. Not great, your motherboard will cope. But it is a little stress on it.

AMD R7 370 cheap and cheerful, this GPU has a 3 year warranty. This GPU is an option if you every get into light gaming. But as for daily web browsing, movies, cool and quiet operation its perfect. It is also GCN, meaning it is ready and in date for todays software. Again this option is more for if you think you might need a fairly good dedicated GPU for anything from that time you may need to edit a video or check out a game to pass the time. It has DVI, HDMI and a Display port. So you may need an adaptor depending on what your monitor uses. This GPU will use one of them PCIe cables for power. It uses less than double the power on full load to the R7 250.

This GPU would be my best bet.

I hope I haven't over complicated things, by all means check out similar. Keep firing questions if you need buddy.