24 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2016 11:40 AM by annaray

xcom 2 crossfire profile in the works?

otterfluff

Xcom 2 works with a 1x1 crossfire but the lightning has flickering. Is it possible that amd will release a proper crossfire profile for this? This game is very demanding and @ 4k resolution and crossfire becomes a must to get over 25-30fps on a Fury X.

This is one of the games where crossfire is highly beneficial.

Computer:

16.1.1 Catalyst beta

Windows 10 64 bit

Twin Fury X crossfire setup

Intel i7 4790k

• Re: xcom 2 crossfire profile in the works?
          annaray

I dont have twin fury but twin 290x and existing recommendations on the net dont work. Also 16.1.1 does nort help with xcom2 profile and aa on zero

Since Witcher 3 amd radeon crossfire becomes a real problem. Top games dont work anymore with crossfire.and I dont want solutions with AA disabled.

I was an AMD supporter  for 10 years ( before that ATI) but if this go on with the new games coming, I switch to NVidia

mavericksy19

I'm also running 2 Fury X cards on a 5960X X99 MB.  16.1.1 and same issue as the OP. 

Annaray this is typical for new games.  A lot of times unless they work with the graphics card makers ahead of time they wont support SLI or Crossfire.  Right now this game doesn't support SLI either unless you make a bunch of settings changed the average user wont want to or know how to do.  Nvidia owners complain just as much as AMD card owners but they all paid $100-200 more a card for 2-4 more fps so I don't feel bad having my AMD cards.

amdmatt

Thanks for the thread chaps. I will pass on your request to the driver team.

mavericksy19

amdmatt - ok so these beta drivers 16.2 added a Crossfire profile that yes, it is enabled by default if you play the game.  But the performance is horrible.  Using the same in game graphics settings and only installing these drivers it cut my FPS from 80+ on save I had to 45 loaded into the same saved location.  So I had to go into the game profile settings and disable crossfire so I could get back up to 80+.  This is running 2 Fury X cards on a X99 MB.  First time I think I ever had Crossfire lower my performance.  Cut in half as a matter of fact.

I load up MSI Afterburner and its showing one card going to 100% and the other will drop to 0 and back and forth, its almost like it can't decide which card to run the game from where typically in a game like Dragon Age Inquisition where Crossfire works very well you will see both cards humming along at a solid 100% GPU utilization, putting out 80+ FPS with all graphics at max 2560x1440.

amdmatt

The issue could be caused by fluctuating core clocks, rather than the CrossFire profile. I will pass on your feedback though, thank you.

rkok

I have the same performance issue too.

X99 + 5930K + 3 x 290x crossfire here. 16.2 drivers

XCOM 2 frame rates only went up from an average 30 to 45 fps -> 40 to 61 fps. I can still see major fluctuations in FPS here when interacting from inside the Avenger. frame rates can dip down to 1 fps here.

All my cards have power limit set to +50.

whats worse is that now I can even see frame stuttering even when switching around characters in the character edit menu prior to launching a mission.

1) I would have expected going from 1 GPU to 3 GPU would see much higher fps gains that just 15 fps.

2) why is there so much fps fluctuation in the game?

I dont know if XCOM is a AAA title or not. but anyone whose been gaming for a long time would know this franchise name. You'd think that there is much enthusiasm from both the game devs and gpu vendors alike to ensure its got a great experience from launch day. feels to me like AMD kind of cares, and Firaxis kinda of care even less. Its a great game with a nice style of game play ....pitty the performance side of things has been such a let down. hopefully in the next monthly update we will get a much better patch to solve most of these issues. I might replay the game again when that happens

mavericksy19

So I tried to blow out all my drivers and start over to see if it would make a difference.  I uninstalled 16.2 and then use the AMD Driver cleaner utility then reinstalled 16.2 from a new download off the website.  No difference.  Seems these are not in any way optimized as I still loose half my framerate using these.  So for now disabled it in the profile and back up in the 80's on FPS, but I have to use FSAA and turn down HOA and Shadows to High as well as Depth of Field one notch.  Looking forward to new drivers that will support Xfire and I can run at full graphics with MSAA x4 at 2560x1440

annaray

The problem is that major new games are proudly positing Nvidia and ofc cooperating with their drivers before the game comes out

That sets AMD in the cold and us Radeon users as well.It took months for AMD to make Witcher3 playable with 2 cards or mgsv or the previous Tombraider. The new Tombraider is still not working fine.

I really mean it.  I didn t buy two cards to finish a game for 50-80% with one card before a hotfix comes out to play the game in crossfire. Nvidia has SLI problems too but to  a much lesser degree than AMD

mavericksy19

I rarely play games at release anymore because of dual card support from both Nvidia and AMD.  I don't think Nvidia is any better at this point.  I used to run SLI and there was always a wait to get that to work well too.  I have had some mainstream games like BF3/4 and DAI all support Crossfire at release without any major issues.  XCom 2 is the first title I have bought at release in a while that didn't work right.  Have not played Witcher 3 or new TR games yet though. 

I do think that CF support was faster for games when they used to release those profiles separately from drivers.  You used to get those same day or within a few days of release.

mavericksy19

Looks like latest 16.2 beta drivers include XCOM 2 Crossfire profile.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2

otterfluff

Yes the crossfire profile is working nicely and now I can play smoothly on 4k resoultion instead of down sizing to 1440p

Thank you amd you have made my day! <3

annaray

i wish I was as lucky as otterfluff but I am as bad lucky as mavericksy

w10 clean install, Bitdefender in gaming mode,  Intel 4690K at 3,8G, 12 G memory, 2x water cooled Sapphire r9-290x not o'clocked

MSI after burner only for in game monitoring of  clock and usage (temps is lower than 45 C at max) also usage of 4 cores CPU

radeon 16.2 after proper uninstalling the previous hotfiix which did no work

radeon settings default + xcom profile (Xcom2 is not mentioned in AMD profile list)

By the way, cannot find Rise of the Tombraider profile in list.

On same save ( Xcom2)  crossfire disabled 1200x1080p fps 52 average  fixed position, no movement

with cf enabled 45 fps.

although in MENU of game with cf 92 without 79

In game MSI Afterburner shows STEADY (fixed) 1000nhz clock. but usage of both cards is all over the place to keep the silly 40-50 fps steady in cf. Allover the place means between 0-100 % both 100% for 1second (polling is set to 1sec.) than, one 79 the other zero than it fluctuates to the other card 100 % and 16 for the second all for 1 sec or less average , then both 6 %  Fully unpredictable. Steady however is the 40-50 fps . with no movement it stay steady within 1-2 fps deviation

Xcom2:

AA is set to FSA, no bloom , all other variables set to max

The CPU usage is around 60-80% for all cores

In the end one card  gives more fps

otterfluff

I defiantly have a Xcom 2 profile in the list. They even added the right icon for it in the 16.2 update. The fact that your missing it might very well be the reason you cant make this work. Trying to figure out how you can get it to find that might be key to fix your problems.

annaray

hi

What name do you see in the predefined profile graphics list? xcom2.exe? I

see only xcom.exe  n o t  xcom2.exe  you get there by clicking the AMD

crossfire mode in the main menu after clicking the XCOM2 icon, which it

copied from your game installed. I see for instance might and magic 7 icon

( have that game installed) or Fallout4  icon as the games are detected,

but both  games are not mentioned in the crossfire list.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:49 PM, otterfluff <amd-external@jiveon.com>

javimadri

I have the same problem with Crossfire 2x280X.

Clean installation of Windows 10 today, drivers updated (also Motherboard BIOS), Crimson 16.2...and can't see Fallout 4 or XCOM 2 Crossfire profine (neither The Division or Rise of the Tomb Raider ones, but I don't own these games). Since november waiting for Fallout 4 profile and it doesn't show, for XCOM 2 the same, and the performance in this game is simply ridiculous.

No MSI afterburner, no antivirus. I formated the computer just to fix this and it's the same s**t.

Anyone can help us?

By the way, how can I change my name for my User name?

annaray

yes

I forgot too to mention after months there is still no fallout 4 profile, which means for some top games AMD cannot find a solution, which means crossfire...?

and I cannot figure out also about my username is annaray but I see my family name here above my own posts in orange instead of annaray. What do you see? O r do posters see their own name while the community the username? If so , weird

mavericksy19

New patch released today for XCOM2 from Firaxis that added support for SLI and Crossfire along with a whole laundry list of performance improvements.  I am using the newest 16.3 drivers and can confirm Crossfire is fully supported now.  Hitting over 90+ FPS on average in missions at 2560x1440 Maximum setting on my 2 Fury X cards.  Game also seems much smoother overall and probably will also run a ton better on a single card now with their patches.  Too bad I played 168 hours without it and now I'm getting bored of the game.    I guess it will be good to go for the 3 DCL they have planned still though.  With Steam Workshop mods replay value is going to be pretty good. 

Now I just need The Division to run this good on SLI and I will be good to go

rkok

Just updated my XCom2 with the latest game patch with Crimson 16.2 (havent had time to test with 16.3) but it is a big improvement. I can now game on max graphics settings and sit between 50 - 60 fps. Previously I had to run the game on low graphics settings just to get these same fps.

my setup -

5930K + DDR4 3400 64GB + 3 x 290x on 2560 x 1440 resolution.

annaray

I have now installed the radeon 16.3 drivers and assume Xcom2 has updated itself but yesterday I see the new 16.3 drivers do not mention in the release notes improvements for XCom 2 with regard to CF or fps. It does have now however an xcom and an xcom2 profile. Any way I did not get an fps  improvement  and see in MSI afterburner still crazy fluctuation in both core clocks. To day I see in the 16.3 release notes this, not directly linked to a game title:

Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption (Fixed with new Power Efficiency feature toggled to off)

The last 'çommand" I have not done yet, only used the xcom2 profile. will post what it will do.

==============

hmm need help, I cannot find this feature in my PC version of the Radeon settings?

mavericksy19

Fix for Crossfire support was in the XCOM2 patch.  I don't think the 16.3 drivers had anything to do with it, but hard to say since I had them installed already.  I did try to run the game both with the power saving feature enabled and disabled and crossfire still works perfectly both ways.  I'm not seeing the fluctuations in MSI Afterburner anymore, both GPU's are at 100%.  Not sure why you are still seeing that.  Double check that the game actually did update.

annaray

Finally

All is wellUnforgivable that major game developers do not incorporate SLI and CF support from the beginning for their PC releases. There are only 2 graphic manufacturers to take into account. Maybe AMD should take a more aggressive stand and place a programmer in their software team as an option to support them in developing a CF "code"