3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 11:49 AM by amd1234

AMD Name Changer

amd1234

What would you name AMD's processors?

AMD needs to change the way they are naming their products to be more appealing to compete with Intel.

The factor that sells a lot of computers is the so called "Computer Guy" in the family. They are the salesman for the industry.

Everyone in the family calls the same relative and asks him/her, "Hey is this computer good? I'm thinking of buying it." and a Link is sent.

The reason the all knowing relative is "computer savvy" is because they only know a little more than the rest of the family, which usually isn't much.

The wise relative in question looks at the specs and sees i7 attached to high numbers of RAM and HD including a graphics card that is

not embedded and responds with, "That's a good computer, Get It!"

It doesn't matter if the i7 is current or an older version, all they know is i7 = Best.

I think AMD needs a refresh.

Their history with names is, let's face it, HORRIBLE!! A few examples being the AMD Athlon, Duron, Turion, Opteron, I mean C'MON!!

Personally I would remove the AMD name all together. Let's be honest here, it has a bad stigma.

AMD should restructure all processor names to target the "computer savvy" relative.

If I was in charge naming new processors I would call them the VR Boards, VR3, VR5, VR7.

I would do this because of the Virtual Reality revolution that is about to occur. That way when the average customer looks at the specs

of a desktop they HAVE to buy for their new Virtual Reality Headset they see a VR Processor and think it's what they need.

• Re: AMD Name Changer
          amd1234

The name really needs to be sequential and easily understandable for the average slightly informed relative.

Just a quick search of laptops on HP.com brings up various AMD names that don't tell you off the bat which one is better.

This would cause me to go directly to look for something more understandable, like intel.

A few examples are, AMD Dual-Core E-Series processor, AMD E1-6015 processor dual-core [1.4GHz, 1MB L2 Cache] , AMD Beema A6-6210 processor quad-core [1.8Ghz, 2MB L2 Cache] ..... They're all over the place.

The intel line up makes it clear with their i-series. Then they use generations to show which are the current processors.

If AMD removed their name from the front of the board names, perhaps they can just use a Z.

Call them the Z-Processors, then pick three numbers, like Intel did for their LOW MEDIUM and HIGH boards.

If I were the head of naming the devices I would say that it's time to go Balls Out and shoot for the goal now, which is to target the computer wise guy immediately who recommends computers to others. He/She needs an easy way to know which is the most current board.

I would put the year 2016 in the board name, but drop the 20. For instance it would be called Z5-16.

• Re: AMD Name Changer
              amd1234

Looking more at HP.com the processors are all over the place. It is like AMD is just filling the cracks that Intel leaves for them.

AMD needs to MAKE A NAME for themselves.

Here's some more examples that came up looking at desktops.

AMD A6-7400K processor dual-core [3.5GHz; 1MB L2 Cache]

AMD E1-6015 processor dual-core [1.4GHz, 1MB L2 Cache]

AMD Carrizo-L A8-7410 processor quad-core [2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache]

AMD A6-8550 dual-core processor [3.7GHz; 4MB L2 Cache]

AMD A8-7600 processor quad-core [3.1GHz; 4MB L2 Cache]

AMD Carrizo-L A6-7310 processor quad-core[2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache]

AMD A8-8650 processor quad-core [3.2GHz; 4MB L2 Cache]

AMD Carrizo A10-8700P processor quad-core [1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache]

AMD A4-8350B 3.5G 1M 65W APU

Now ask the average person to put them in order from most powerful to least.

If that isn't confusing, I don't know what is.

They need a 3 Tier and the Year.