2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 8:47 AM by vabchgent

Driver Issues Win 10 x64

zaofy

Hi there, after firing up XCOM2 yesterday I ran into some serious problems with my GPU.

First my system specs:

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
        • R9 290X
      • Operating System
        • Windows 10 64bit
      • Driver version installed
        • Crimson Edition 16.1.1 Hotfix (But I've tried virtually all of them by now)
      • Display Devices
        • BENQ Monitor, HDMI, 1920x1080 60Hz
        • BENQ Monitor, DVI, 1920x1080 60Hz
      • Motherboard
        • ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
      • CPU/APU
        • Intel Core i7 2600k (Sandy Bridge) not overclocked.
      • Power Supply Unit Wattage
        • 750W
      • RAM
        • 16GB DDR3

Back to my problem. When I launched XCOM yesterday I noticed that a few artefacts were appearing during the game. At first I thought it was some weird filter.

But then I noticed that those artefacts persisted when I quit the game. Not taking any chances I updated my driver (which was the standard 15.12 at that point) to the new 16.1.1 hotfix.

After I restarted my PC this evening everything went well for a minute or two. But then the real serious issues started appearing. At first my Display driver constantly crashed and came back up, which I attributed to a faulty driver install.

So I booted into Safemode, removed the driver with DDU and rebooted my PC, to reinstall 16.1.1. Now it got even worse. After that latest reboot my whole windows login screen was completely glitched. I could not do anything aside from resetting my PC.

I then switched over to my iGPU through BIOS, deinstalled the driver AGAIN and went to the old 15.12 release. (again removing the old driver through DDU).

The problem persisted.

By now I've tried everything. I've placed the GPU in another PCIE slot, checked my RAM, my PSU, the cables, everything. Still no way I can install a driver without massive glitches, followed by a BSOD.

I would've said the GPU itself is defect (it's around half a year old at this point) but when booting without drivers, ie safe mode, or with deinstalled drivers, everything works as it should.

I'd really appreciate some help here.