6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2016 8:33 PM by theriaya

R9 280x vs R9 390

theriaya

So I finally got set up a small test between my overclocked R9 280x vs the PowerColor R9 390 I won in the contest. Hope people enjoy this. If I placed it in the wrong section just let me know! In a few days I plan on pushing the overclocking and once I get a solid number I will get another video out.

• Re: R9 280x vs R9 390
          zealotki11er

The difference seems so small between 280X and 390. Though it would be a bit bigger. Another thing is that game you used is like the best game in favor of CFX. It scales 90%+ which is not a representation of CFX at all. Please test games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Rise of The Tomb Raider, Fallout 4 etc.

theriaya

I know Tomb Raider is an exception to the rule. But I also stated that it is a great example to how crossfire can help change performance. I was also shocked at how little the performance between the 2 were as well. I mean that R9 280x can overclock nicely. I will have a video up to show the difference when I get my R9 390 clocked as high it will go though. I would do a Fallout 4 comparison if I still had the card. Basically one of my friends that I was giving one of the cards to came over and picked it up lol.

rwgtroll

I have a thing that I'm very confused with, why isn't the power limit cranked all the way up when overclocking to make sure that the core and memory is getting the most voltage that it can.

theriaya

Generally left it at +20 because when I was too crossfire it the Asus directcu 2 had +20 max. I just didn't change it after that for the single profile, when crossfire was disabled between them. So go with what your card does. Then adjust voltage only when you have to.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

zealotki11er

Based on this review 280X vs 390 should be ~ 30% difference in fps. You are getting 13% difference. Your 280X is OCed but I don't think that is enough. 80MHz in the Core is not going to get 17% more performance. I am going to test TR 2013 with my 290X which should be about as fast at stock as 390 and see what I get.

techPowerUp! - The latest in hardware and gaming